Sprains, strains, tears, and fractures - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Sprains, strains, tears, and fractures

This is a discussion on Sprains, strains, tears, and fractures within the First Aid and Medical Preparedness forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Honkerhunteronhoth But depending on the nature of the fracture it will require medical attention if it is severe enough. That's where I ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Sprains, strains, tears, and fractures

Quote Originally Posted by Honkerhunteronhoth View Post
    But depending on the nature of the fracture it will require medical attention if it is severe enough.
    That's where I was hoping this thread would go, treating these types of injuries when medical care might not be available. In the event you're on your own with only what you know and what you have.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    Personally I think we should emphasize stab wounds and gunshots. If the world is going to get hard with supplies as scarce items, you know that people will be fighting over the dregs, especially if they have children.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarök View Post
    Blood loss and infection are much more likely to end your life than a sprained ankle or a broken arm. That is why they are prepped for more commonly.

I’d much rather have a bottle of wide spectrum anti biotic with me than a wrist brace. When the time comes all you have to do is suck it up and take the pain. The doctor prescribes half a bottle of bourbon pre operation...consumed preferably quickly.
    I don't disagree on the priority, stopping bleeding before immobilizing a fracture, but don't see why it has to be either / or when it's best to be able to treat both. I have some orthopedic supplies that I'm reorganizing into their own 'kit', and looking to add more capability to it. Have sam splints in the FAKs, but thinking more about what we'll need back at home/base camp to treat, worst case, a broken arm or leg so it heals properly and as quickly as possible. Having these ahead of time might help in a situation where a doctor or (field) hospital is available, but they lack the necessary supplies. Present day Venezuela situation for example.

Besides a set of crutches in the attic, a wheelchair in the pole barn, a case of cohesive wrap, and a missing wrist support wrap, here's where I'm at on the 'ortho box' so far. I got the fiberglass casting tape and undercast padding last year from shopmedvet(.com), but know I still need stockinettes.

Additions? Suggestions?
    Honkerhunteronhoth likes this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    That's where I was hoping this thread would go, treating these types of injuries when medical care might not be available. In the event you're on your own with only what you know and what you have.

I don't disagree on the priority, stopping bleeding before immobilizing a fracture, but don't see why it has to be either / or when it's best to be able to treat both. I have some orthopedic supplies that I'm reorganizing into their own 'kit', and looking to add more capability to it. Have sam splints in the FAKs, but thinking more about what we'll need back at home/base camp to treat, worst case, a broken arm or leg so it heals properly and as quickly as possible. Having these ahead of time might help in a situation where a doctor or (field) hospital is available, but they lack the necessary supplies. Present day Venezuela situation for example.

Besides a set of crutches in the attic, a wheelchair in the pole barn, a case of cohesive wrap, and a missing wrist support wrap, here's where I'm at on the 'ortho box' so far. I got the fiberglass casting tape and undercast padding last year from shopmedvet(.com), but know I still need stockinettes.

Additions? Suggestions?
    What kind of pain killers do you have? Depending on the nature of the break you might not be able to do much at all. Open fractures can be a fatal event. Any sort of amputation kit in the inventory?

Quote Originally Posted by Honkerhunteronhoth View Post
    What kind of pain killers do you have? Depending on the nature of the break you might not be able to do much at all. Open fractures can be a fatal event. Any sort of amputation kit in the inventory?
    Have some anesthesia/analgesia options, and some surgical items and minor procedure trays (plus a bone saw for processing game), but don't want to take this thread too far off course.
    Honkerhunteronhoth likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

@Honker Aside: It's January 7th. Epiphany was yesterday. It's okay to put away the Christmas tablecloth.
    Crunch and Slippy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marica View Post
    @Honker Aside: It's January 7th. Epiphany was yesterday. It's okay to put away the Christmas tablecloth.
    Would it be okay if I ever used my "Dark Town Poker Club" tablecloth? The song always makes me smile...
    bigwheel likes this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Sure the special table cloth will be fine. Anything is legal after Ephiphany. Sorta like Fat Tuesday or Mardi Gras maybe. It can be hard for Bapticostals and Jews to keep up with all those celebrations..but if its like a baby Baptism...a good excuse to drink beer.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Sure the special table cloth will be fine. Anything is legal after Ephiphany.
    I always play "The Dark Town Poker Club" when I'm polishing. You might find this hard to believe, but there are very few songs about knife sharpeners...

"...you see this brand new razor? I had it sharpened just today..."

My procrastination on display for the world to see... It's put away now, thinking about replacing it with one in red, white, and blue, in honor of aMarica.

Back on topic folks.
    Marica likes this.

Hope this isn't too far off topic, but your inclusion of a bone saw got me thinking. Would a basic anatomy reference book be useful? Not one of those tomes that's 1000 pages, but just something illustrating the systems-- skeletal, circulatory & such.

Surgical discussions? Bone saws? Skeletal diagrams? Yikes!

In a very real sense, if TEOTWAWKI ever comes, I'm going to get as far away from population as I can! Either that or I start cooking a cleaning for Christiaan Neethling Barnard--and BTW, he does put "aa" in his name, we're pals.

I believe that in this dystopian wonderland I'm going to get away from people and be more of a dedicated health nut than I already am. Even if you do something as get a greenstick break in the wilderness (limiting you speed across ground by 50%) the wolves and other carnivores will hunt you down by nightfall.

Let's be honest, most of us are city people. Even with a ball bearing slingshot our diets will be limited to rabbits and birds. I say that because not many of us are reloaders and ammunition will be like gold. Call me paranoid, but I keep a bucket of perfectly poured .452 cast bullets for my 1911. I do that because I have electricity now to cast, and I might not have that during Armageddon.

I think it's going to be rougher and poorer than we think.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links