Elder Care
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Elder Care

This is a discussion on Elder Care within the First Aid and Medical Preparedness forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Here's some stuff I'm learning about. If you have elderly people in your home, you may want to be prepared. I'm here to tell you, ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Elder Care

  1. #1
    Super Moderator


    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,516

    Elder Care

    Here's some stuff I'm learning about. If you have elderly people in your home, you may want to be prepared. I'm here to tell you, they may take a nose dive real quick. It's like caring for a baby, only much heavier. I mean no disrespect. I need to watch your my back. YouTube can be a pretty amazing resource. I learn all kinds of stuff on there all the time.
    I know, not pretty. Suck it up and deal.
    Amen, amen I say to you, that you shall lament and weep, but the world shall rejoice; and you shall be made sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator


    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,516
    Transferring.


    edit
    Last edited by Annie; 12-02-2019 at 08:03 AM.
    rice paddy daddy and Denton like this.
    Amen, amen I say to you, that you shall lament and weep, but the world shall rejoice; and you shall be made sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy.

  3. #3
    The Good Cop


    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    S.E. Georgia / N.E. Florida
    Posts
    12,118
    Although Mom was in assisted living for her last years, I still spent much time with her.
    If this country ever gets to a bad condition, y’all may have to take care of your parents if other facilities are non existent.

    Some of this is already happening for us - I’m 71, wife is 73 and we are often having to find new ways to do things.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Wherever won't get me hit.
    Posts
    18,195
    My Sons have very specific instructions from me. I will not have them spending any time or money to care for me should I be unable to care for myself, especially if I am eat up with cancer or some other terminal disease and I cannot wipe my own ass.

    Take out enough money to rent a small beautiful cabin in the coldest most remote place in the US. Wood Stove in the cabin is a must. Drop me off with a Bible, Bottle of Bourbon, whatever Opiods/Painkillers I have been prescribed and a nice thick ribeye or NY Strip. Bring a .500 SW Revolver, (for bears not me, I'd prefer not being bear food.)

    Build a nice warm fire in the woodstove and help me prepare the steak. Medium Rare with a good char on both sides. Pour me a tall glass of Bourbon and set the Bible nearby.

    Give me a hug and kiss and wave goodbye.

    Check back in 2 weeks.

  6. #5
    Super Moderator


    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,516
    I'm firmly resolved that both grannies will die under my care. Whether at home or in the hospital, i'll be there. I've had a couple family members go without my being there. It's not gonna happen again.
    Amen, amen I say to you, that you shall lament and weep, but the world shall rejoice; and you shall be made sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy.

  7. #6
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    I'm firmly resolved that both grannies will die under my care. Whether at home or in the hospital, i'll be there. I've had a couple family members go without my being there. It's not gonna happen again.
    I fully understand your resolve, but all I can say is BEWARE and BE AWARE of what you might get yourself into...…..I wasn't there when my Dad passed in the nursing home and I had been kinda pissed that he & Mom wouldn't let me care for him at home. It's easy to think you're able to do so.....until you have too.

    Several years later, I went thru training for Caregiver, to take care of Mom and did so for 9 months, before she was in need of more care than I could provide, and she went to a nursing home as well. But I was sitting with her, when she passed. Not a word was spoken because she was too weak, but she stared a hole right thru me and I knew she was saying goodbye.
    Then 4 years ago, my husband was diagnosed with Stage 3B Squamous Cell lung cancer, and for 2 1/2 years he was able to care for himself. Then I took care of him for the last 6 months of his life, here at home even though he could still do much for himself, there were still times & days that he could not. until the last month or so. He passed last Valentines Day and I'm sure it was his final I love you.

    To make a long story short......let's just say the physical demands of caring for someone, especially someone you love is a piece of cake no matter what it is...….it's the mental & emotional toll nobody warned me about....and for that reason, when it comes my turn to be cared for......I'll go like @Slippy cause I do NOT want my kids going thru that. And if I have Alzheimers or Dementia, that would be even worse.
    modfan, Slippy and bigwheel like this.

  8. #7
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Wherever won't get me hit.
    Posts
    18,195
    As some of you may know, Mrs Slippy, her sister and her brother have been caring for their Mother with Alzheimer's for about 7 years now. I'm talking one of the 3 are with her 100% of the time. My Mother In-law who I care about deeply does not know anything. Nothing. Zero. Nada. Zip. The disease has continued to progress and her mind is less than compost. (Compost is active and has worms and heat etc. Her mind is blank.) I could write a damn book about it.

    My point is, what Mrs Slippy and her siblings are going through, I would not wish on my worst enemy. Friends of ours who we truly care about came to me 6 months or so ago and the wife was thinking about becoming a caretaker for her Father. They wanted my advise based on what we have learned with what Mrs S has been doing for her mother. Our sons are both out the house but our friends still have a young daughter still at home.

    My answer was quick and firm. I do not recommend that anyone who has a husband, a wife or children take on the burden of full time care of an elderly person.


    Oh and one more thing about my wishes. If for some damn reason my last days are in a freakin' hospital and my sons cannot break me out to take me to the cabin in the mountains, they are NOT to hang around the hospital on some kind of Death Watch waiting for me to die. I made them promise that.
    Last edited by Slippy; 12-02-2019 at 03:22 PM.

  9. #8
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    God's Country (aka Texas)
    Posts
    9,355
    My wife was a first line care giver for her Mama for 9 years as she gradually delcined. It takes a special person to do it.

  10. #9
    Super Moderator


    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,516
    Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherNut View Post
    Several years later, I went thru training for Caregiver, to take care of Mom and did so for 9 months, before she was in need of more care than I could provide, and she went to a nursing home as well. But I was sitting with her, when she passed. Not a word was spoken because she was too weak, but she stared a hole right thru me and I knew she was saying goodbye.
    Wow.


    Then 4 years ago, my husband was diagnosed with Stage 3B Squamous Cell lung cancer, and for 2 1/2 years he was able to care for himself. Then I took care of him for the last 6 months of his life, here at home even though he could still do much for himself, there were still times & days that he could not. until the last month or so. He passed last Valentines Day and I'm sure it was his final I love you.
    That's sweet.
    Amen, amen I say to you, that you shall lament and weep, but the world shall rejoice; and you shall be made sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy.

  11. #10
    Super Moderator


    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    As some of you may know, Mrs Slippy, her sister and her brother have been caring for their Mother with Alzheimer's for about 7 years now. I'm talking one of the 3 are with her 100% of the time. My Mother In-law who I care about deeply does not know anything. Nothing. Zero. Nada. Zip. The disease has continued to progress and her mind is less than compost. (Compost is active and has worms and heat etc. Her mind is blank.) I could write a damn book about it.

    My point is, what Mrs Slippy and her siblings are going through, I would not wish on my worst enemy. Friends of ours who we truly care about came to me 6 months or so ago and the wife was thinking about becoming a caretaker for her Father. They wanted my advise based on what we have learned with what Mrs S has been doing for her mother. Our sons are both out the house but our friends still have a young daughter still at home.

    My answer was quick and firm. I do not recommend that anyone who has a husband, a wife or children take on the burden of full time care of an elderly person.
    I think I understand. There can be times when when people need help with being a caregiver.

    Oh and one more thing about my wishes. If for some damn reason my last days are in a freakin' hospital and my sons cannot break me out to take me to the cabin in the mountains, they are NOT to hang around the hospital on some kind of Death Watch waiting for me to die. I made them promise that.
    They may want to be there with you. I'm sure they would..
    Amen, amen I say to you, that you shall lament and weep, but the world shall rejoice; and you shall be made sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to Top