Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Get prepaired when it hail DU Ammonition!

6K views 61 replies 16 participants last post by  bigwheel 
#1 ·
:vs_sad:...

#5 · (Edited)
Good info right there. Could we have it in a nutshell? The Sun is well over the yard arm or past 5 PM most places and dependent on where is the ship...and some of us have started the cocktail hour and cant digest a lot of small print yimmer yammering. Thanks. We could probably give it a critique early tomorrow if the Lord's willing. Kindly have a beer and listen to this.
https://www.radio.net/s/hpr1classiccountry

#6 ·
This I know. When we had to clear armored vehicles, that had been hit with DU shells. 100% full NBC gear was required.

Reactions: bigwheel and Denton
#9 ·
Armored vehicles, hit with DU shells had a hole in them. Often they blew up because of ammo inside them. When you open them up or look in because the tank blew the turret off they were a mess.
I can bet there will never be any caliber DU rounds in my inventory.

#10 ·
Had an old chum tell about the Sabot Rounds used by Tanks mainly I guess. He said that leaves a hole in the bad guy tank and the last guy in the tank to get sucked out through the hole often leaves a boot stuck in the hole. Hope he wasnt fibbing about that. He had Tow Missle Launching gizmo on a Hum Vee back in Desert Storm. He had a lot of good war stories.

#13 · (Edited)
Bigwheel, he was fibbing you.

A DU sabot will punch a hole around two inch diameter in armor, itself is 1-1/8" in diameter, and weighs about 10 pounds,
the damage inside is caused by the incandescent fragments burning through everything.
The fires will detonate on board ammo reserves and incinerate the crew.
The APFSDS round when striking is like a railroad train hitting you at 150 miles an hour.
If the round hits the glasis plate or the mantel the kinetic energy will rip the turret from the traversing ring, lower will go on through and destroy the engine.
The penetrator weighs 10 pounds and muzzle velocity is over 5,000 fps.

Now the tow missile warhead works differently, it is called a HEAT warhead, uses chemical action not kinetic as the penetrator does..
It produces an incandescent stream of particles before passing through the armor, burning it from the outside in.
A HEAT round from a TOW, 105MM tank gun or a 106 RR, will burn through 26 inches of homogeneous armor plate.
I personally have put HEAT rounds through a turret, and the jet stream burned through the opposite side too!
One went through the turret wall then the breech ring, both sides, and the breech block, the spall cut 1/8" deep grooves in the turret casting interior.
Firing the APFSDS were no less spectacular, one round hit the turret, casting gave way producing about a 10" hole in it.
Either round usually results in a K kill.

#16 ·
Well sure why God put the American Oil under the Saudi Sand?
How could he do this?
With the highest Prison Population per Residents. :vs_blush:
They are not trained monkeys like some people living in Germany's appendix.
The Eighth AF had more targets to bomb than time to do them.
They should have stopped only after the bomb dumps were empty, ours and the Brit's.
I have to sanitize my keyboard after posting in this thread.

#15 ·
We could just make it easy. Get rid of ROE. You start a war with us, we will end it, quickly..
Geneva Convention only applies to allies apparently. Forget the Geneva Convention..
Let Admirals and Generals fight the war plan.. Not politicians.
If we follow these simple ideas, no one will screw with us.

#17 ·
I am of the Christian opinion that God gave me the privilege of living here on the Earth, . . . "it is appointed unto man once to die and after this the judgment". Inherent in that scripture is that I have a finite but undetermined amount of time to live here, . . . to enjoy life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Anyone, . . . of any persuasion, . . . for any reason, . . . who attempts to shorten that time I have, . . . or to infringe upon my L, L, and PoH, . . . risks becoming grave yard dead just as soon as I can make it happen, . . . and I will use any and every means necessary to make that come to pass.

I believe the US should adopt that same reasoning. Had McArthur used a half dozen nukes on the chi-coms, . . . had we whacked Hanoi with one, . . . had Saddam been sent up into the atmosphere to come down half a world away as protons in the rain, . . . we would not be having the problems we have today.

Wage war with 5 times the ferocity as your antagonist, . . . the next bunch will think twice.

No, . . . I don't mean with poison gas, . . . or biological warfare, . . . but if we have tools such as DU that make life much safer and more effective for our soldiers, . . . use it. If the other guys don't like it, . . . they should have stayed home.

May God bless,
Dwight

#22 ·
The Law stayed around a bit to long. The last Tow I fired was the 2A version . Yes for it's time it was impressive. And the had the best sights of it's time and they kept getting better. The current version of the Javelin is pretty amazing. I like the fire and forget.
I have never held one but have heard they do have 50 rounds with DU bullets.

Reactions: bigwheel
#23 · (Edited)
Immediately after the cease fire of the ground offensive for Desert Storm we (3rd Armored) used to scavenge through abandoned and sometimes destroyed armored vehicles all of the time. Some hit with DU Sabot rounds, some hit by us. We never mopped up and were never advised to do so. Exposure could be a significant problem at some point. Of course I read my book by the light of burning oil wells, was around burn pits all of the time, exposed to carcinogenic hydraulic fluid, including ingesting one time and was exposed unmopped up to sarin nerve agent. Health of veterans was just not that important during Desert Storm or after it.
A big time difference in caution and concern when I was back over in the litter box 2003-04. Overall that is, my unit was a large mess.

#26 · (Edited)
When fired the Tow back blast leaves a signature that can be seen a good distance away. A good armor crew spotting it could hit you before the tow gets to them. The shells were darn near twice a fast. Some times I miss it other times not.

Reactions: Denton and bigwheel
#27 ·
Pretty sure my old Jyrene pal with Tow missles had the set and forget models. He said it would head to the target looking like it was going to miss and in the last few second it would correct itself and hit where it needed to hit. It mighta been lazer guided or something. Its been a few years back. lol.

#30 ·
I HOPE IM JUST IN A MOOD.... You arrogant insentative BITCH @User Name.
Are you trying to say 9/11 is day of Celebration, after you came in here crying and bitching about that hospital, THAT was an admitted mistake, to COMPARE THAT to 9/11?
Wow, I wish you get CANCER in your balls and Asshole, and they slowly cut you into small pieces, and that one of those "evil train agents" punches you in your bitch mouth..
GOOD DAY

#31 ·
:vs_OMG: Well why not try to train your Geographical Knowledge and research your own who the people did come from who the Media Claim to be on board the Aircraft. I guess anyone who know just a little about the Earth and the State will see there is a little different between where the DU Ammo was rain from the Sky and who the People who get accused for the "Terror Attack" really was from.

#35 ·
The aluminum armor of the M113 personnel carrier was easily penetrated by an RPG, killing or maiming everyone inside.
This, and mines, was why everyone rode on top.
The original 113’s had gasoline engines, which turned them into giant Zippo lighters when hit.
Later models had diesel engines.

Reactions: Denton
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.