Medical Preparedness Classes
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Medical Preparedness Classes within the First Aid and Medical Preparedness forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; All- Has anyone taken classes above and beyond the standard first aid courses? I have standard CPR and first aid but was looking for something ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Medical Preparedness Classes

All- Has anyone taken classes above and beyond the standard first aid courses? I have standard CPR and first aid but was looking for something more in depth. Online courses would be great. That is one area I am lacking in, medical knowledge. I tried googling some courses but I keep coming up with the wilderness medical training and I think I am not quite up to that step yet.

I am a former Boy Scout Master with a lot of Red Courses under my belt. I have also taken Non-Red Cross First Aid classes.

Red Cross used to be great. Now their standard course says use your cell phone, wait for the ambulance and pretty much no touchee. They also advise if there is a doctor present then summon two ambulances in case the doctor breaks a leg getting the hell outta there! It is so watered down now that their First Aid book is a comic book.

Eight years ago I was able to find a weekend Red Cross Course "Wilderness First Aid". It was the real thing. Seek it and take it. In our location it was only taught once a year.

You might also look at some of the local hiking, canoeing, skiing or other outdoor clubs. They sometimes sponsor their own wilderness classes.

CERT classes cover a little but for what you are preparing for it won't help you.

Also contact fire departments as they teach the real thing too but again they depend on ambulances in route.

The Wilderness courses however are more for when there is no hospital available and that is what most Preppers need.

Happy Hunting!
    Last edited by jimcosta; 07-23-2019 at 04:10 PM.
    Marica, Joe and Green Lilly like this.

Self Study.

You might have to download a free copy of, or order, the book Where There Is Doctor. It is all you may need.

There are free downloads galore for the above but I suggest the paper copy. $25

See Also:
    The Survival Medicine Handbook: A Guide for When Help is Not on the Way $35

I keep a copy of Survival Medicine Handbook in my medical pack.

Together they will give you the confidence to act.

Squeamish about sutures? You can buy medical staplers. $8 - $16
    Last edited by jimcosta; 07-23-2019 at 04:16 PM.
    Green Lilly likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

After rereading your opening statement I see where you are not confident yet to take the Wilderness course. Oh yes you are!
    You are overlooking one fact. You don't have to be the one to actually reset a dislocated shoulder. You have the option of directing and supervising. That is the beauty of having both of those books. They are a How To.

Then consider this. Time may be short, too short to wait a year. I suggest you order the books and then study them when the hunkering down boredom sets in.
    Also learn how to download Youtubes for free and save them. Then you can suture your heart out.
    Last edited by jimcosta; 07-23-2019 at 04:28 PM.
    Green Lilly and Marica like this.

few times through the combat life saver course. Fair list of other First Aid courses and testing. Now if you have some serious stuff going on I may get you some what stabilized but you will need a real doctor. maybe with one of Tourist knifes i could do some minor cutting. I can stitch up a wound but it will scar.
    Green Lilly likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

As an Air Force recruit, I got a little first aid training. I'm a retired paramedic, and I started out with a Red Cross First Aid
    class given by a local FD. It was pretty decent with real hands on training. That was back in 1972 right after my son got
    chemical burns at a friends house and no one knew what to do. Book learning is better than nothing, but hands on experience
    is the only thing that will prepare you for bones aticking out of limbs, a gun shot to the head, or a piece of a car penetrating
    a person's chest. Hands on training is what keeps you from panicking when you try to remove a person's boot and his lower l
    eg comes with the boot (had a false lower leg) but the new EMT completely freaked out and never came back to the squad.
    Find a class that has hands on training. If you can't find someone like me. I think a lot of first responders become preppers
    because they know what can happen. And learn how to improvise. When the SHTF, you won't have access to all the neat
    toys in the ambulance or emergency room. After you get some training, make your own first aid kit. The crap they sell out
    there is a joke.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Marica: I am the founder of a 50 adult group survival retreat.

When there were just a few of us we all took First Aid training again to varying degrees. We were young and naive then. Now we have two military RNs, a Pharmacist and one paramedic. We have supplies for a small clinic. Sounds impressive doesn’t it? Well, it ain’t. It will probably never be used if we activate.

The original thought was we would be doing surgery Tuesdays and Fridays. Then we realized our mistake and renamed the “Medical Focus Group” to “Health Focus Group.” That pointed us in the right direction.

The real Health priority (during chaos) will be keeping us hydrated, not starving, not constipated from diet or stress, preventing diarrhea, lancing boils from diet and filth, isolating the sick, monitoring individual hygiene and on and on. We have in addition to various Fish based anti-biotics (same but cheaper, needs no prescriptions) as well as Cranberry juice for Urinary Track infections and Monostat(?) for yeast infections from living conditions. Then maybe Health will see the occasional burn or cut. But if there are gun shot wounds here and there we did a very poor job in overall planning to begin with!

As far as experience goes I agree that the more of it the better off you are. But if there are only five of you in your group don’t forget the other thousand non-medical skills you need to learn to stay alive.

I shared a few weeks ago here that I once had a professor who had a sign on his office wall stating, “If we all waited until we are perfect to do something then nothing would ever get done.” So if you are “It” in a small group then when you are up to bat you will be up to bat, perfect or not. Accept that your group does not have a perfect professional medical person and muddle through and do the best you can. Again, that is the drawback to being in a small group.

Prepping can be a deep and overwhelming subject with very few Simple Right Answers that fit all situations. I don't profess to have those. I can only share with you what we did, right or wrong.
    Last edited by jimcosta; 07-23-2019 at 08:54 PM.
    1skrewsloose and Green Lilly like this.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I started out by collecting medical supplies a little at a time, some Israeli compression bandages here some suture kits there. Slowly building up what I have for medical supplies. About 6 months ago, I thought this is really great but I don't know how to use a lot of this stuff. Standard first aid doesn't teach you how to sew up a gash or how to even properly apply a compression bandage. I knew I needed more then just medical supplies. So I bought the book "The Doomsday Book of Medicine" written by Ralph La Guardia. It had many really good reviews. I read it when I can but I am very much a hands on learner. I am just worried that I am not really going to retain much by reading the books and was hoping for a class that would give me hands on experience. I will try and search out the Wilderness First Aid course.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Lilly View Post
    All- Has anyone taken classes above and beyond the standard first aid courses? I have standard CPR and first aid but was looking for something more in depth. Online courses would be great. That is one area I am lacking in, medical knowledge. I tried googling some courses but I keep coming up with the wilderness medical training and I think I am not quite up to that step yet.

Join a militia and then have the combat medic(if they have one) teach you the trade. If you want online then read the Army First Aid manual. I will attach it and others.
    Slippy, Green Lilly and Drpepper like this.
    A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished. Proverbs 22:3 NKJV

Stop the bleeding
    Start the breathing
    Protect the wound
    Treat for shock

past these more things, the rest is taking care of minor issues like dislocated or broken bones, stitches, and treating for bacterial or viral issues

as mentioned by many above... lots of books to read

any major issues that require surgery will result in bad times unless you have a doctor and supplies

post shtf todays simply things will kill many and there will be little you can do... diabetes, heart issues, appendicitis...

the biggest issue will be the crazies who run out of anti crazy meds - you have known them for years as normals... but give them 2 weeks on no meds.........
    -----------------------------------------------------------

(I ran a field medical unit in the National Guard, it is where I got my Army Commendation Medal from)

you might think that the doctors run the unit, they do not... I (as a Sgt) had to pull aside a Captain and explain that when a head laceration long and shallow (blood everywhere) and a chest injury with possible heart attack (no blood) arrived at the same time he needs to treat the chest injury first.. no matter how "Sexy" getting all blood may seem

anyway that now brings us to triage.------
    Slippy, Annie and Green Lilly like this.
    Be a Berean

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links