Should we carry tourniquets in our vehicles?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Should we carry tourniquets in our vehicles? within the First Aid and Medical Preparedness forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; If you've caught the news lately it appears my area has turned over the main highways to idiots. Lots of crashes, flames and severe injuries. ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Should we carry tourniquets in our vehicles?

If you've caught the news lately it appears my area has turned over the main highways to idiots. Lots of crashes, flames and severe injuries. But like most of you, I have rudimentary items in my truck, and other than all stainless cutting tools I could give to a doctor, I got squat.

I googled the Amazon site for info on tourniquets, and I found the items rather inexpensive. And in a world where my associates and my myself all carry sharp knives, even a stupid accident could take someone's life.

I'm going to buy two of these tourniquets. One for my truck, one for my wife's SUV. I feel this is like my defensive pistol, I hope I never have to use these things, but this is not the world I first knew.

What's your opinion?

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...ial/8297436011
    bigwheel and RedLion like this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Offering aid to a crash victim and applying a tourniquet (to me) are 2 different things. (you might have to defend your decision to do it)

If they need one they will need one pretty fast... so chances you (or I) will be the 1st person on the scene that KNOWS a person needs one are slime

How will we know to apply one and if it is that major of an accident will we triage the person as being enough of a priority to get one

if you recognize they need one are you going to spend the time to apply one or will you check others first...are you grabbing it before you head out to triage he folks

nothing wrong with having one... but I am betting you never use it or if you use it it will not be the right thing to do at that time

just a gut reaction to the idea
    RedLion likes this.
    Be a Berean

Better to have it and not need it . . .

Than to need it and not have it.

Major blood loss is a quick killer, . . . getting the blood flow stopped saves lives.

I carry one, . . . we have one in our church, . . . I have one in my BOB, . . . and have no qualms using it.

Taking the time to understand the basics of need and application, . . . then practicing it a bit can save a life, . . . perhaps someone you love.

I could not stop the blood flow one time on a loved one, . . . but I got them to a place where they could, . . . it saved their life.

Sitting around twiddling your thumbs in indecision WILL KILL THE PERSON each time, . . . every time.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    MikeTango likes this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

You guys are both right. Heck, I have those "full size short handled" tools in my center console. I have rags, etc, but not much in the way of medical supplies. Yes, a Pilar is in effect the best scalpel an EMT or doctor has ever seen, but I've never seen a tourniquet at a crash scene.

You'd be amazed at just what civilians can do. Several years ago a driver got caught in a burning vehicle. Numerous civilians stopped to help, but no one had a crowbar.

They took six or seven guys, and pulled the car apart and saved the driver...

Always have some rope in the truck for securing cargo that will work just fine. Along with ratchet straps and bungee cords. Plus I always wear a belt and my shirt as last resort.
    Last edited by Chipper; 06-23-2019 at 05:34 PM.
    Maine-Marine likes this.

I've got one on my GHB along with a couple clotting sponges, forceps and EMT scissors.
    RedLion and dwight55 like this.
    I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number please.

Stupidity, the New Common Sense

My wife came in a few minutes ago and told me that the latest episode of "60 Minutes" tonight discusses tourniquets.

Super Moderator

I was told that tourniquets are no longer recommended. Why? Because people have become to stupid to properly apply them. Many times, good-intending dummies place the tourniquet on the wrong side of the wound. Other times, they place it on top of the wound. I find that to be very disconcerting.
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

My carry bag has ~100' 550 cord. My formal medical training is low but I know anatomy well. In a pinch, I could pinch an artery above a wound.

Combat Vets might add in on this as I'm sure many have taken care of their comrades.

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    I was told that tourniquets are no longer recommended. Why? Because people have become to stupid to properly apply them. Many times, good-intending dummies place the tourniquet on the wrong side of the wound. Other times, they place it on top of the wound. I find that to be very disconcerting.
    That could be very bad. Making the person bleed out faster.

As someone who has hunted/trapped I know a bit where things are connected. I don't think I'm that kind of stupid.
    Denton and dwight55 like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links