Should we carry tourniquets in our vehicles? - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Should we carry tourniquets in our vehicles?

This is a discussion on Should we carry tourniquets in our vehicles? within the First Aid and Medical Preparedness forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Lunatic Wrench using a tourniquet on strangers This is the concept that baffles me in modern America. If I save the life ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Should we carry tourniquets in our vehicles?

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatic Wrench View Post
    using a tourniquet on strangers
    This is the concept that baffles me in modern America. If I save the life of the stranger I can be sued or arrested. If I let the stranger die right before my eyes without touching him, I can walk home a free man. All people would have to say is, "I am not fully trained in artificial respiration." It's not your fault that you do not know all the cogent facts of every crisis.

Well, that's really too noble to assign that concept to myself. If two bangers shot each other at the mall, yeah, I could walk away...
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatic Wrench View Post
    With my first aid/CPR training over the past 20 years it's been discussed many times that a tourniquet is the last resort to stop uncontrollable blood loss, I asked the retired Marine field medic to go into more detail on using one during my recent first aid recertification.
    This was indeed the common thought for many decades.
    However, recently it has been proven that, when properly applied, a commercial tourniquet can be left in place for hours and not result in any permanent damage to the limb.
    This article explains a bit more:
    https://www.breachbangclear.com/tour...ning-bleeding/

Even on the kit that I linked to earlier with the picture, the packaging said that the tourniquet should not be left on for more than 6 hours. That is AMPLE time to get somebody to proper medical care.
    If the bleed is heavy, skip the fancy. Clamp that thing down and get moving.
    I think that's what you were getting at with the Marine's advice. I just wanted to make it crystal clear for others.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Yes, but, only if you are trained on application and use!
    Everyone should have a blowout kit

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tango2X View Post
    Yes, but, only if you are trained on application and use!
    Everyone should have a blowout kit
    The other side of that. for me anyway, if I'm pumping blood from my femoral artery like a garden hose and unconscious or unable to apply my ternoquite myself, training be damned, please do your best and hopefully buy me enough time for EMS to arrive.
    Same applies if I'm trapped in my truck at the bottom of a ravine in the mountains in a cell phone dead zone.

Here in Washington, being unconscious is considered applied consent.
    I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number please.

Stupidity, the New Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    If you've caught the news lately it appears my area has turned over the main highways to idiots. Lots of crashes, flames and severe injuries. But like most of you, I have rudimentary items in my truck, and other than all stainless cutting tools I could give to a doctor, I got squat.

I googled the Amazon site for info on tourniquets, and I found the items rather inexpensive. And in a world where my associates and my myself all carry sharp knives, even a stupid accident could take someone's life.

I'm going to buy two of these tourniquets. One for my truck, one for my wife's SUV. I feel this is like my defensive pistol, I hope I never have to use these things, but this is not the world I first knew.

What's your opinion?

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...ial/8297436011
    Us old Boy Scouts was taught to use our official boy scout belt as a tourniquet in an emergency situation. Have you got an official belt?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links