550 cord tourniquet not recommended.
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on 550 cord tourniquet not recommended. within the First Aid and Medical Preparedness forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Next Generation Combat Medic Recently posted NGCM believe in evidence-based medicine, or "EBM", with a heavy evidence on EVIDENCE. At times, there has been some ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: 550 cord tourniquet not recommended.

Next Generation Combat Medic Recently posted

NGCM believe in evidence-based medicine, or "EBM", with a heavy evidence on EVIDENCE. At times, there has been some commentary from admins and this page alike regarding our emphasis on whole blood for hemorrhagic shock resuscitation, and our opinions on various models of tourniquets.

Again, our emphasis is on EVIDENCE.

Say what you will about our views, but here you see the dangerous spectrum of people going out and taking liberties with the terms and praying on people's ignorance when, in essence, they are "quacks."

"ProTEQ" is promoting weakly-braided 550 cord as a "tourniquet" to the survivalist crowd. Forget the whole issue with RATS, this takes it to a whole different level.

Let's be absolutely clear:
    DON'T BE NEGLIGENT.
    DON'T BE A QUACK.
    DO NOT USE 550 CORD IN PLACE OF A LEGITIMATE, TESTED, CoTCCC-RECOMMENDED TOURNIQUET.

To do so demonstrates that you not only do not have knowledge of medical care, but in practicing, you are, in fact, a "quack", and additionally are a legitimate threat to those you are treating.

https://www.facebook.com/nextgencomb...type=3&theater >
    [1]Survival: Actions I need to do NOW to live another 5 minutes to 3 days.[2] Prepping: What I do to insure my family makes it thru an adverse event lasting 3 days to 3 months [3] Seeds and livestock: What you need for long term subsistence.

Ah, . . . yes, . . . our resident "mommy's basement" dweller, . . . bringing some more ignorant and useless diatribe, . . . that somehow makes him / her / or it head and shoulders above the perceived errant product.

Did the dryer run all day and kind of un-nerve you so you had to come out???

Oh well, . . . ignorance is bliss they say, . . . so he must be one of the most blissful of the species, . . . right behind Maxine Waters no doubt.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    hawgrider likes this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hmmmm... this guy is starting to remind me of someone... can't quite place it. Lots of capital letters, yeah.... Preachy.... yeah. Something like "Trans Sister", it's right there on the tip of my brain dangit.
    Denton and Deebo like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RJAMES View Post
    Next Generation Combat Medic Recently posted

NGCM believe in evidence-based medicine, or "EBM", with a heavy evidence on EVIDENCE. At times, there has been some commentary from admins and this page alike regarding our emphasis on whole blood for hemorrhagic shock resuscitation, and our opinions on various models of tourniquets.

Again, our emphasis is on EVIDENCE.

Say what you will about our views, but here you see the dangerous spectrum of people going out and taking liberties with the terms and praying on people's ignorance when, in essence, they are "quacks."

"ProTEQ" is promoting weakly-braided 550 cord as a "tourniquet" to the survivalist crowd. Forget the whole issue with RATS, this takes it to a whole different level.

Let's be absolutely clear:
    DON'T BE NEGLIGENT.
    DON'T BE A QUACK.
    DO NOT USE 550 CORD IN PLACE OF A LEGITIMATE, TESTED, CoTCCC-RECOMMENDED TOURNIQUET.

To do so demonstrates that you not only do not have knowledge of medical care, but in practicing, you are, in fact, a "quack", and additionally are a legitimate threat to those you are treating.

https://www.facebook.com/nextgencomb...type=3&theater >

550 chords/string will/can cause too much tissue damage. Use a belt, a restricting band, a wide cloth (bandana), or better yet use a Tourniquet .
    Deebo, dwight55, AquaHull and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Old SF Guy View Post
    550 chords/string will/can cause too much tissue damage. Use a belt, a restricting band, a wide cloth (bandana), or better yet use a Tourniquet .
    You are correct, . . . the caveat is: "if that is an option".

If I need a tourniquet and 550 is all that is available, . . . please use it on me, . . . I will be forever grateful.

The OP would discard the 550, . . . get on his Iphone, . . . go to Amazon and see if he could get a LEGITIMATE, TESTED, CoTCCC-RECOMMENDED TOURNIQUET sent to him overnight.

Meanwhile the patient dies, . . .

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Old SF Guy, StratMaster and Denton like this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Quote Originally Posted by dwight55 View Post
    Ah, . . . yes, . . . our resident "mommy's basement" dweller, . . . bringing some more ignorant and useless diatribe, . . . that somehow makes him / her / or it head and shoulders above the perceived errant product.

Did the dryer run all day and kind of un-nerve you so you had to come out???

Oh well, . . . ignorance is bliss they say, . . . so he must be one of the most blissful of the species, . . . right behind Maxine Waters no doubt.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Post of the month right there! ^^^^
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by dwight55 View Post
    You are correct, . . . the caveat is: "if that is an option".

If I need a tourniquet and 550 is all that is available, . . . please use it on me, . . . I will be forever grateful.

The OP would discard the 550, . . . get on his Iphone, . . . go to Amazon and see if he could get a LEGITIMATE, TESTED, CoTCCC-RECOMMENDED TOURNIQUET sent to him overnight.

Meanwhile the patient dies, . . .

May God bless,
    Dwight
    They have venders selling usless , in fact dangerouse, braded 550 cord "tourniquets " . Check out the group making the recommendation not to buy them. If you are spending money spend it on things that are known to work .

If you are in a situation and do not have a tourniquets make one out of something wide . If you got nothing else you use what you got . Point here is to make you aware to not waste your money on something deemed dangerouse / useless by by doctors and combat medics.
    [1]Survival: Actions I need to do NOW to live another 5 minutes to 3 days.[2] Prepping: What I do to insure my family makes it thru an adverse event lasting 3 days to 3 months [3] Seeds and livestock: What you need for long term subsistence.

FYI the words I typed in the original post of this thread are " Next Generation Combat Medic Recently posted "

Everything else was from the Next Generation Combat Medic. Take their advice when spending your money on equipment or not .

As to your whinning on how you are being talked to you see who started the thread you chose to read, don't like it don't read.

The material used is INCONSEQUENTIAL.

Use whatever is available. You REALLY won't care when blood is pouring out and stopping it is TOP priority.
    The key to remember, if tissue damage is a worry, is to make the material *wider* across more surface area.
    This means numerous wraps across 1-2" of skin along the limb. The goal is to spread out the pressure.

The tiny bracelet-looking braided cord in the linked picture is insufficient, as the length does not allow multiple wraps, and a single wrap would be too thin.
    The mention of the RATS tourniquet being a problem implies that the author of that FB post isn't familiar with the function of that device either. Again, multiple wraps are required, and even stated so in the instructions for its use.

I'll reiterate... When you're losing a pint of blood a minute, you won't give two squirts about possible tissue damage. You may very well lose the limb, BUT YOU'LL BE ALIVE.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Most of the stuff I have made with paracord is the wide solomon pattern including one long enough to be used as a tourniquet. It's about 2" wide if I need to use it on someone I doubt they will complain. In a pinch I've always got duct tape. What I don't need is another $20+ piece of gear taking up space and adding weight.
    dwight55 and StratMaster like this.
    "A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still."- The wise words of Benjamin Franklin.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links