550 cord tourniquet not recommended. - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

550 cord tourniquet not recommended.

This is a discussion on 550 cord tourniquet not recommended. within the First Aid and Medical Preparedness forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by dwight55 You are correct, . . . the caveat is: "if that is an option". If I need a tourniquet and 550 ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 16 of 16
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: 550 cord tourniquet not recommended.

  1. #11
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Near Fort Bragg, NC
    Posts
    2,876
    Quote Originally Posted by dwight55 View Post
    You are correct, . . . the caveat is: "if that is an option".

    If I need a tourniquet and 550 is all that is available, . . . please use it on me, . . . I will be forever grateful.

    The OP would discard the 550, . . . get on his Iphone, . . . go to Amazon and see if he could get a LEGITIMATE, TESTED, CoTCCC-RECOMMENDED TOURNIQUET sent to him overnight.

    Meanwhile the patient dies, . . .

    May God bless,
    Dwight
    Dwight 55, as usual is correct. Use bailing wire or a kite string if thats all you got and I'm bleeding out.

    I, while Never wanting to give kudo's to a liberal like RJames, because in their mind they see the acknowledgement as some sort of overall elevation of their philosophy, instead of simply the pat on the head of a mentally retarded child who happens to get the round peg in the round hole.


    Now, to the points, a band of 550 cord is less damaging than a single cord to the tissue area, so would be preferred. and it can be unbraided and serve other functions, where a tourniquet is pretty much a tourniquet. If your buying a tourniquet for a pack.....buy a tourniquet. If your bleeding to death....use what ever you must. damaged tissue is preferred to a bloodless body.


    Goooooodddd Joooobbb RJames.
    dwight55, jimb1972 and Deebo like this.

  2. #12
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Near Fort Bragg, NC
    Posts
    2,876
    Quote Originally Posted by RJAMES View Post
    Next Generation Combat Medic Recently posted

    NGCM believe in evidence-based medicine, or "EBM", with a heavy evidence on EVIDENCE. At times, there has been some commentary from admins and this page alike regarding our emphasis on whole blood for hemorrhagic shock resuscitation, and our opinions on various models of tourniquets.

    Again, our emphasis is on EVIDENCE.

    Say what you will about our views, but here you see the dangerous spectrum of people going out and taking liberties with the terms and praying on people's ignorance when, in essence, they are "quacks."

    "ProTEQ" is promoting weakly-braided 550 cord as a "tourniquet" to the survivalist crowd. Forget the whole issue with RATS, this takes it to a whole different level.

    Let's be absolutely clear:
    DON'T BE NEGLIGENT.
    DON'T BE A QUACK.
    DO NOT USE 550 CORD IN PLACE OF A LEGITIMATE, TESTED, CoTCCC-RECOMMENDED TOURNIQUET.

    To do so demonstrates that you not only do not have knowledge of medical care, but in practicing, you are, in fact, a "quack", and additionally are a legitimate threat to those you are treating.


    https://www.facebook.com/nextgencomb...type=3&theater >


    I'd also like to quote my SF Team Medic....One of my best friends in the whole world and the man I trust most to take care of me. "OSFG" he said (well he used my real name....we are friends you know), "OSFG" he said,"They call it practicing medicine for a reason". "Each one of those bastards out their is practicing on you. For every one Doctor that will say use this pill or that treatment, another will say don't use that pill or that treatment."

    "The only difference between me and them" he said, "Is that I practiced on a bunch of goats first, and I'm telling you up front that I don't have all the answers." He continued," SF buddy, I ain't practicing anything but trying to get better every day. And if you get hit, I'm just gonna treat you like you do your commo systems when somethings wrong. I'm gonna look for the obvious, and then try to narrow it down to the main problem and then do the best I can to fix it."

    "A Quack?, Well thats all those people out there with or without degrees who think they know medicine."
    Deebo likes this.

  3. #13
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SE Wisconsin
    Posts
    17,296
    Have to agree 550 is not a go to options . One of many I was never instructed to use. There may be a time and place but I don't see it. Cut a shirt , use belt ect many other improvised things to use.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

    Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #14
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St Pete Florida
    Posts
    2,606
    Quote Originally Posted by RJAMES View Post
    Next Generation Combat Medic Recently posted

    NGCM believe in evidence-based medicine, or "EBM", with a heavy evidence on EVIDENCE.

    DO NOT USE 550 CORD IN PLACE OF A LEGITIMATE, TESTED, CoTCCC-RECOMMENDED TOURNIQUET.

    To do so demonstrates that you not only do not have knowledge of medical care, but in practicing, you are, in fact, a "quack", and additionally are a legitimate threat to those you are treating.

    https://www.facebook.com/nextgencomb...type=3&theater >
    Who needs evidence that wrapping 550 cord around the arm or leg, and tightening it down, will stop blood flow? A bootlace would do the same thing, which is common-sensical and implied and inferrable.
    And that is some of what I was taught when I was Field Artillery and Airborne. Stop the bleeding ASAP! Use what you have at hand! Use their bootlace, not yours, they won't mind.
    A DECLARATION OF THE RIGHTS OF THE INHABITANTS OF THE COMMONWEALTH, OR STATE OF PENNSYLVANIA:: [Pennsylvaia was a very different place then, just look at Philly today, compared to 1776 AD.]
    [And it is regrettable that their original confrontational ways, about how government should work, has been lost.]

    VI. That those who are employed in the legislative and executive business of the State, may be restrained from oppression, the people have a right, at such periods as they may think proper, to reduce their public officers to a private station, and supply the vacancies by certain and regular elections.
    [Hidden Content

  6. #15
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,430
    The Warning here from SF Medics and Doctors is not to buy this type of product. They sell tourniquets made of 550 that do not work . If you are spending money buying a tourniquet buy a real tourniquet that is known to work.

    If you do not have a tourniquet use something 1 inch wide or wider . Can a shoe lace save a life - yes but it can cost a limb if you had belt you could have use then you should use that.

    As to what you learned - that was a long time ago these guys are talking about the latest information they are writing the next text books that are going to be used to teach soldiers how to deal with these injuries.

    Take it or leave it thanks for thinking about and preparing for these situations.
    [1]Survival: Actions I need to do NOW to live another 5 minutes to 3 days.[2] Prepping: What I do to insure my family makes it thru an adverse event lasting 3 days to 3 months [3] Seeds and livestock: What you need for long term subsistence.

  7. #16
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St Pete Florida
    Posts
    2,606
    Quote Originally Posted by RJAMES View Post
    The Warning here from SF Medics and Doctors is not to buy this type of product. They sell tourniquets made of 550 that do not work . If you are spending money buying a tourniquet buy a real tourniquet that is known to work.

    If you do not have a tourniquet use something 1 inch wide or wider . Can a shoe lace save a life - yes but it can cost a limb if you had belt you could have use then you should use that.

    As to what you learned - that was a long time ago these guys are talking about the latest information they are writing the next text books that are going to be used to teach soldiers how to deal with these injuries.

    Take it or leave it thanks for thinking about and preparing for these situations.
    What are you talking about? A long time ago, and always; they gave warning that the limb could be lost. When using a tourniquet, the blood flow is stopped to a limb.
    Besides advising to use a belt 1" wide, what else do you counsel. Why not make a note of Quik Clot or Celex? I was trained about 20 years ago by SF medics, in Combat Lifesaver.

    The final word has always been to use any means to stop the bleeding. If I don't have a belt, I am not going to stand there and watch anyone bleed to death.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tourniquet-improv-3.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	94755
    Those are improvised tourniquets, using straps and pegs of wood.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAT..30-0001_a-full_6.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	238.3 KB 
ID:	94757
    This is the Combat Application Tourniquet. Both techniques are much the same in my view. I am not saying that you are wrong, the straps are better.
    But that does not dinosaur the use of improvised means, even clothesline would work. Even a clothes hanger would work, you gotta be prepared to perform, and to think before hand, what to do.
    Last edited by MisterMills357; 01-11-2019 at 03:17 PM.
    A DECLARATION OF THE RIGHTS OF THE INHABITANTS OF THE COMMONWEALTH, OR STATE OF PENNSYLVANIA:: [Pennsylvaia was a very different place then, just look at Philly today, compared to 1776 AD.]
    [And it is regrettable that their original confrontational ways, about how government should work, has been lost.]

    VI. That those who are employed in the legislative and executive business of the State, may be restrained from oppression, the people have a right, at such periods as they may think proper, to reduce their public officers to a private station, and supply the vacancies by certain and regular elections.
    [Hidden Content

 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Trauma Medicine: How to Use and Apply a Tourniquet
    By Urinal Cake in forum General Prepper and Survival Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-10-2018, 12:13 AM
  2. Tourniquet Giveaway
    By patrioteer in forum General Talk
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 06-09-2018, 08:44 AM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-27-2014, 11:42 AM
  4. Char Cord/ Char Rope
    By machinejjh in forum General Prepper and Survival Talk
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-23-2012, 12:33 PM
  5. 550 para-cord
    By JAGER in forum General Prepper and Survival Talk
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-07-2012, 05:12 PM
Back to Top