Natural Meds: Using What's Around You.
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Natural Meds: Using What's Around You. within the First Aid and Medical Preparedness forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Today the wife and I went on a "identifying trees in your region" walk the Oregon State University extension program was putting on locally. One ...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 3 Post By K7JLJ
  • 1 Post By Camel923
  • 5 Post By Sasquatch
  • 1 Post By inceptor
  • 1 Post By Sasquatch
  • 1 Post By Sasquatch

Thread: Natural Meds: Using What's Around You.

Today the wife and I went on a "identifying trees in your region" walk the Oregon State University extension program was putting on locally.

One of the tidbits we learned was that local Indians use to eat/drink the sap of Sugar Pines because of it's sweetness but had to watch out because it's a natural laxative.

I thought to myself... now that I can ID a Sugar Pine and know this, I have a "skill" for making a laxative instead of needing to store up such, which has a short life span anyway.

We are looking to take a medicinal plants course also, but I thought I would ask others to contribute to this thread stating medicinal uses for plants / trees.

Please state the location you find these items and if you have used them yourself, scientific names as well as common names would be great also.

Bourbon.
    Slippy likes this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by K7JLJ View Post
    Today the wife and I went on a "identifying trees in your region" walk the Oregon State University extension program was putting on locally.

One of the tidbits we learned was that local Indians use to eat/drink the sap of Sugar Pines because of it's sweetness but had to watch out because it's a natural laxative.

I thought to myself... now that I can ID a Sugar Pine and know this, I have a "skill" for making a laxative instead of needing to store up such, which has a short life span anyway.
    I used to and still occasionally do volunteer with a naturalist group that would take people into the woods to learn different skills. One of the skills we teach is edible plant identification. You may want to look in your area and see if there is anyone that does the same. The guy that runs ours is an expert in identifying edible plants. He actually lives the life in a small cabin in the woods and eats wild plants for his daily meals.

We are looking to take a medicinal plants course also, but I thought I would ask others to contribute to this thread stating medicinal uses for plants / trees.
    Please state the location you find these items and if you have used them yourself, scientific names as well as common names would be great also.
    Wow, scientific names! Now you're asking a lot.

I'll contribute one of my favorites. Whenever I do a backpacking trip I always make some pine needle tea. Pine Needle Tea contains 4-5 times the Vitamin C of fresh-squeezed orange juice, and is high in Vitamin A. It is also an expectorant (thins mucus secretions), decongestant, and can be used as an antiseptic wash when cooled. Some also say it helps ease a sick stomach. So not only does it taste good, but it's good for you! As for where you can find it, almost anywhere.

Scientific name: Pinus
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine

*EDIT* WARNING FOR ALL READING THIS THREAD. When eating or using edible plants you must be 100% sure you have identified it correctly. A lot of plants have a very similar looking plant that can be dangerous if ingested. Some plants can make you very sick or kill you.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 09-28-2018 at 06:59 PM.
    Denton, inceptor, K7JLJ and 2 others like this.
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

What I've been researching is using herbs for medicinal purposes. I'm in suburbia, not much forestation around here so I'll be growing my own.
    Camel923 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    *EDIT* WARNING FOR ALL READING THIS THREAD. When eating or using edible plants you must be 100% sure you have identified it correctly. A lot of plants have a very similar looking plant that can be dangerous if ingested. Some plants can make you very sick or kill you.
    Absolutely! This is why I have not messed with it just looking at books, to afraid of making a mistake. We are looking for a local resource to walk us through the local plants before trying it on our own.

Thanks for the contribution, I had heard about pine needle tea from bushcraft forums, but not tried it yet. All pine is OK? We have Ponderosa, Sugar & Jeffery in our area.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by K7JLJ View Post
    Absolutely! This is why I have not messed with it just looking at books, to afraid of making a mistake. We are looking for a local resource to walk us through the local plants before trying it on our own.

Thanks for the contribution, I had heard about pine needle tea from bushcraft forums, but not tried it yet. All pine is OK? We have Ponderosa, Sugar & Jeffery in our area.
    I've never heard of a pine needle that is not safe. If I am wrong I hope someone corrects me. I can tell you you will get a different taste from different pines.
    K7JLJ likes this.
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

Many of the weeds around here had medical uses. But you need to be careful. A little work to much and it made thing wort or caused other problems.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Super Moderator

Another thing I would suggest to anyone heading out into the bush for whatever reason is to learn to correctly identify poison ivy/oak. Won't kill you but certainly can cause problems.

https://www.artofmanliness.com/artic...-their-rashes/

Pro Tip: A natural remedy for poison ivy is mugwort. Which happens to normally grow near or at the base of poison ivy.
    inceptor likes this.

Sponsored Links