Is Healthcare in the US getting Better, Worse or just More Inconsistent?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Is Healthcare in the US getting Better, Worse or just More Inconsistent? within the First Aid and Medical Preparedness forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I don't know what to think at this point about the state of the Healthcare Industry. Me and Mrs Slippy's #1 Biggest Annual Expense is ...

View Poll Results: Is US Healthcare getting Better, Worse or just More Inconsistent?

Voters
23. This poll is closed
  • Better

5 21.74%
  • Worse

10 43.48%
  • More Inconsistent

4 17.39%
  • We Are Doomed

4 17.39%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Is Healthcare in the US getting Better, Worse or just More Inconsistent?

I don't know what to think at this point about the state of the Healthcare Industry. Me and Mrs Slippy's #1 Biggest Annual Expense is now Health Care/Health Insurance.

In the past 10 years I have had a few major surgeries that were huge successes. On the other hand, I have had a number of minor medical situations where errors, misdiagnosis and incorrect treatment options have occurred but should have been avoided.

The red-tape sure has increased and the lead times to get appointments are sometimes out of hand depending on where you live. And sadly, in my opinion, most docs just don't seem to give a shit anymore.

What say you? And more importantly, what can be done to correct this horrible trend?
    ekim likes this.

Super Moderator

With the exception of a couple doctors, it seems most I know or deal with aren't willing to think. They rely on tests and if their go-to tests reveal nothing, they say there is nothing to reveal.
    Sure, you leave with symptoms in tow, but you paid the 25 dollar copay and the insurance company is billed.

I'm also not very happy with this idea of nurse practitioners seeing the patients so the office can run more cattle through the office.
    ekim, Slippy and BookWorm like this.
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Super Moderator

For the most part, Healthcare doesn't create health as Dr Berg says it manages symptoms. I think we live in a day and age where we're lucky to have so many resources available to us, because it's important for us to be our own detectives when it comes to managing our health. That said, the cost is out of hand thanks to the fact that so many people can't afford coverage which leaves everybody else paying the bills.

Sent from my SM-S337TL using Tapatalk
    "But in the end my Immaculate Heart will triumph"--OL Fatima

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I say it’s going to implode. I see more insurance company interfence on treatment, less coverage due to higher deductibles so people wait until it’s an emergency. The only people making out are ones that have low income and previously had no coverage that now have free or next to free coverage. I pay theee times as much for worse coverage. The hospitals and doctors for the most part are not getting higher reimbusement and in some cases less. Having to buy my own is no bargain. My coverage was much better prior to Obama.
    Slippy and Prepared One like this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    With the exception of a couple doctors, it seems most I know or deal with aren't willing to think. They rely on tests and if their go-to tests reveal nothing, they say there is nothing to reveal.
    Sure, you leave with symptoms in tow, but you paid the 25 dollar copay and the insurance company is billed.

I'm also not very happy with this idea of nurse practitioners seeing the patients so the office can run more cattle through the office.
    The result of have to do more with less. It will get worse before it gets better. JMHO.
    Denton likes this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

If you can afford the high end health insurance (over $20,000 a year now) or to be full self insured it is as good as it gets. Everyone else is on Obama care weather it is called that or not. care is discounted big time.
    In addition to your copay you now have a fee.
    You can keep your doctor , however if they go over what we allow that is on you.
    We will decided what test are needed and you must apply for them 6 months in advance ect.
    Coverage we had before Obama Care was many times better and less than half the cost.
    One up side president Trump has had an effect on the VA. It is getting better from where I stand. In the past they would not even work with my other doctor , now they are fully working together.
    For the first time the VA is on the side of making sure what the issue is rather than just not caring. Test done on the last visit were more complete than ever before.
    Last edited by Smitty901; 08-26-2018 at 12:25 PM.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

I have a biased opinion of the health care industry for several reasons:

My son and daughter-in-law are both nurse practitioners, . . . two highly intelligent, . . . very caring, . . . thorough, . . . and resourceful young people. Their patients are fortunate to have them on their team.

I have celebrated fairly good health all my life, . . . with the exception of a lousy gall bladder that I didn't need any longer, . . . a pig valve operating in my aorta, . . . no more tonsils, . . .

I still have 23 or 24 of my tooth allotment of 32, . . . I don't have to squint to see a dog sized animal until it is out beyond 500 yards, . . .

My worst presently known health dilemma is the diabetic foot pain I suffer through, . . . and the migraine headaches. Neither responds well to the meds I take, . . . but at least they are managed by the meds down to a level where I can live with them.

But then again, . . . I'm only 73, . . . so as I progress, . . . who knows what may happen.

Mostly I'm just waiting for the day the doc looks at me and says, "Well, Agent Orange has caught you", . . . it has taken down a boatload of my friends.

But all in all I think the US has the singularly best health care system in the world, . . . so far I've not found anyone who has been able to show where any other nation, . . . anywhere, . . . has all the options we have for their people.

Each person is their own best advocate for their health care / health problems. If you have a problem, . . . keep asking, . . . change doctors, . . . keep pushing until you find out what it is. That singular piece of advice has done well for me down through the years.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Last edited by dwight55; 08-26-2018 at 12:31 PM.
    Slippy likes this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Yes healthcare in America is among the best in the world. But that doesn’t mean it is anywhere near as good as it could/should be. The government has gotten big and dictates coverage and piles on the regulations. Insurance companies run virtual monopolies and dictate decisions only on cost.......they couldn’t care less about your health outcome. The courts are involved so doctors are scared shitless to make a diagnosis without a whole battery of expensive and often unnecessary tests. And those who can pay are forced to pay for those who can’t or won’t pay. The whole system sucks.
    Slippy and Camel923 like this.

Technology has certainly gotten much better, some of it is amazing. But like Denton says, too many docs are simply relying on a protocol of tests and if a particular result is beyond a standard deviation then and only then they take action.

In the past 6 years I have had two major infections resulting from a cuts that I incurred and for whatever reason both times it resulted in fairly serious infections. Both instances I went to a regular doctor (internist or family pract) and was given weak anti-biotics. In a matter of a week or 10 the situations had gotten worse.

Both times I went to the emergency room and was given a much stronger dose of antibiotics which cleared the infection up quickly and effeciently.

Why didn't the family MD's know how to cure the situation but the emergency MD's did? Just one example and I'm sure all of us have many more stories.
    Denton likes this.

Like anything in the world when money gets to be a big factor then governments step in and take control(of the money) in the name of being fare and equal, that is when things begin to go down hill fast. Quickest way to ruin anything is to get the government involved. Why you ask, lawyers. They love money, especially other peoples money that they can steal through the legal system, which they write/create. And most if not all politicians are lawyers, so you decide what the major problem is yourself!
    Last edited by ekim; 08-26-2018 at 01:29 PM.
    Slippy, Camel923 and dwight55 like this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links