Ostomy care during SHTF/natural disaster situations.
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Ostomy care during SHTF/natural disaster situations. within the First Aid and Medical Preparedness forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Hey, all. Its been a long time since I have posted. But here is something I have been thinking about and it can turn into ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Ostomy care during SHTF/natural disaster situations.

Hey, all. Its been a long time since I have posted. But here is something I have been thinking about and it can turn into a real problem.

My wife albeit only 29, has a permanent iliostomy. She has insurance that pays to ship her supplies every month from HME to take care of it. Now she has gotten pretty good at making them least, so she is able to save some of the supplies from each months batch and has created a little stockpile. The question is, what can be done or used when that stock pile runs out.

Plastic bags? tape? ziplock bags? MRE bags? Something cleanable and reusable?

I realize this may be more of a question for medical professionals, but anyone feel free to jump in, especially if you have family member with this issue.

I think TiredNurse on here did ostomy care, if not mistaken?
    Last edited by DELTA 3; 08-14-2018 at 11:47 AM.
    StratMaster and Slippy like this.
    "...But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

What is ostomy care?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished. Proverbs 22:3 NKJV

@MaterialGeneral, only thing my feeble mind can think of with out google is Colostomy.
    Serious question, and I thank God often that I don't have serious medical issues. @DELTA 3 I wish you both well, and please continue to post..Need more NM peeps on here.
    MaterielGeneral likes this.
    RIP Corporal BRADLEY COY 6/18/1992-10/24/2014

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DELTA 3 View Post
    Hey, all. Its been a long time since I have posted. But here is something I have been thinking about and it can turn into a real problem.

My wife albeit only 29, has a permanent iliostomy. She has insurance that pays to ship her supplies every month from HME to take care of it. Now she has gotten pretty good at making them least, so she is able to save some of the supplies from each months batch and has created a little stockpile. The question is, what can be done or used when that stock pile runs out.

Plastic bags? tape? ziplock bags? MRE bags? Something cleanable and reusable?

I realize this may be more of a question for medical professionals, but anyone feel free to jump in, especially if you have family member with this issue.

I think TiredNurse on here did ostomy care, if not mistaken?
    Making them last is a good and smart start... and creating the resulting extras in a stash. I have done this with various medications I need, as well as CPAP parts/filters.
    Try hard to find a place online to purchase extra supplies as well. Even though my CPAP is a prescription, for example, there are places on the web which sell the stuff I need.
    Also, talk to your doc about your concern... he may prescribe your picking up say 6 months of supplies at a time instead of one... I do this also with some meds and insurance still pays. That way, odds are good in a SHTF scenario that you will have months and months of extra stuff.
    Good Luck!
    Slippy and Joe like this.

I don't provide direct care for ostomy patients and this is outside my area of knowledge, so I would defer to @tirednurse or others.

I think it's wise that your wife is judiciously saving some supplies each month. If budgeting or finances allow, if I were you, I'd keep stocking up.
    You can purchase one-time use or reusable ostomy pouches (such as these:
    https://www.amazon.com/Drainable-Dis...2Bpouches&th=1)
    or these (https://www.180medical.com/ostomy), and I'm sure others can direct you where to purchase these supplies and more.

My purchases from / dealings with Mountainside Medical have been good, and they sell stomahesive paste (https://www.mountainside-medical.com...aste-2-oz-tube)

I keep the receipts so if I'm ever stopped by my employer, I'm able to show I didn't pilfer them. @DELTA3, are you a vet?
    Mountainside also offers military vet discounts. Other vendors may also offer a discount. Your mileage may vary, batteries not included. Happy Hunting.
    Slippy likes this.

Sadly, I have no advice nor do I know where to start on this subject. Hopefully some of our finest medical industry members will weigh in.

My very best to you and your wife @DELTA 3
    Annie likes this.

Thanks for all the thoughts and replies everyone. Those are all good links and its basically all the stuff she is getting in the mail. What I'm trying to do is brainstorm ideas for makeshift supplies that can work in a pinch, or semi permanently. The concern always is keeping it clean. For those that don't know, the small intestine sticks out a of the skin a little bit and the base and bag is attached over it. It may take some trial and error and practice.
    "...But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

I wasn't around all week @Delta3. I personally would not have any further suggestions than what others have mentioned to obtain a stockpile of what she already uses. However when trying to come up with your own methods I would say you are going to have a difficulty time finding something to work without causing skin breakdown around the stoma. once this happens it make even the modern appliances difficult to use and keep a seal.

Having a large back up supply is probably your best bet, but maybe think about trying to combine existing supplies with other things to stretch supplies might be possible.

Does she use the closed or open ended bags?. open ended can be used for months if needed. till they wear out anyway. The wafer is usually the issue since it will eventually come off the skin due to the natural oils of the skin loosening the adhesiveness of the wafer. Maybe experiment with cleaning the wafer and re using? if you can get it to stick to her skin you may be able to extend its use also.
    StratMaster likes this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Sadly, I have no advice nor do I know where to start on this subject. Hopefully some of our finest medical industry members will weigh in.

My very best to you and your wife @DELTA 3
    Same here, @DELTA 3 God bless.

Sent from my SM-S337TL using Tapatalk
    Have mercy on me a sinner.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links