So I broke a tooth, in two pieces...
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on So I broke a tooth, in two pieces... within the First Aid and Medical Preparedness forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Right at the beginning of the Daytona 500. A little history. About 5 weeks ago I had a root canal done on this tooth, and ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: So I broke a tooth, in two pieces...

Right at the beginning of the Daytona 500.
    A little history. About 5 weeks ago I had a root canal done on this tooth, and am waiting on Crown in a week. The tooth was decaying and had a crack. Endodontist felt it was worth it to root canal. A few days ago, some of the white packing on the tooth fell out. But, it was minor irritant, no hurting at all.
    But today, I bit down and the tooth cracked, fell out. Another piece is still in there, begging to come out as it is wiggling.
    There is no pain, just a little discomfort, and the tooth doesnt allow a full bite now.
    I am going to try to get to one of the 2 dentists I have tomorrow, but will definitively get in Tuesday, as its somewhat an emergency.
    Wonder why their is no pain? Is it because when you have a root canal, they take all the nerve roots out of tooth?

I would gargle with something like Listerine a few times before you get to the doctor.

An abscess is not a fun thing.
    Steve40th likes this.
    "Orwell's Animal Farm, and 1984 were supposed to be warnings, not instruction manuals."

“A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself within”

― Will Durant

I will gargle with Listerine for sure, thanks..
    sideKahr likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I asked my wife for her opinion on this. She worked with dentists for ten years.

The crown of the tooth may be gone, but the root is still there and may have to be extracted. Or if it's possible to save the root that remains, you can have a pin or post done, but only if the tissue around the root is healthy. See a dentist as quickly as possible.
    Last edited by sideKahr; 02-18-2018 at 06:18 PM.

Gargle with bourbon but don't expectorate.
    Slippy likes this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by sideKahr View Post
    I asked my wife for her opinion on this. She worked with dentists for ten years.

The crown of the tooth may be gone, but the root is still there and may have to be extracted. Or if it's possible to save the root that remains, you can have a pin and post done, but only if the tissue around the root is healthy. See a dentist as quickly as possible.
    The piece that came out was at gum line. The other piece wanting to come out, wiggling, is under the gum line. The tooth has had the cavity filling, quite large, for over 25 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
    The piece that came out was at gum line. The other piece wanting to come out, wiggling, is under the gum line. The tooth has had the cavity filling, quite large, for over 25 years.
    I've had two root canals and posts with crowns done. Don't sweat it. Modern dentistry is almost painless.

If you can afford it, get the gold/platinum kind. Mine has lasted more than 30 years.
    Last edited by sideKahr; 02-18-2018 at 06:33 PM.
    Steve40th likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sideKahr View Post
    I've had two root canals and posts with crowns done. Don't sweat it. Modern dentistry is almost painless.
    This will be my second. I am concerned about what needs to be done since tooth cracked, and broke off. Its been five weeks, slow arse dentist if you ask me for a crown.. Oh well, hopefully I can get them to see me tomorrow.
    sideKahr likes this.

@Steve40th I do not know which tooth it is but a post and core build up and a crown lengthening procedure may save the day or tooth as it were. Another strategy is to also connect the crown on the broken tooth with a crown on an adjacent tooth. Almost a mini fixed bridge. I have used both ways depending on my judgement. Occasionally nothing will work to save it. Sometimes the decision is also a financial one.
    Denton likes this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

Well, I have good dental. 90% of Endotontis, crowns and root canals. We will see tomorrow, or Tuesday. The other piece is working looser and looser right now. No pain though. Even drinking water.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links