Have You Ever Actually USED Your Prepper/Survival Skills?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Have You Ever Actually USED Your Prepper/Survival Skills? within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Have you ever experienced a situation (such as a natural disaster) that put your prepper/survival skills to the test? What were the results? Were there ...

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Administrator

Have you ever experienced a situation (such as a natural disaster) that put your prepper/survival skills to the test?

What were the results? Were there some things you discovered you needed more practice with?

Were there some supplies that you realized you needed to add to your preps?

I'm sure others with military experience have been in more dire situations than I have, but here goes.

I've been in a flash flood where I wondered if I'd make it. I've been temporarily 'lost' in the mountains in 20 deg F. with night coming on. I've been inside a burning building where I had only my equipment, my experience, and my brothers to get me through it.

The most important thing is to stay calm. If you panic you can't think. If you stop thinking, you can die.

Super Moderator

Not in any life threatening ways that I can think of but I did use have used first aid training I've acquired due to prepping. A more recent time came across a group while hiking on a rather hot day. They had zero experience, zero knowledge and wait for it....zero water with them. One in their group was well into heat exhaustion and heading rapidly toward heatstroke.
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I was at work about a month ago, on midnight shift, by myself, in the shop. I found my main entrée for lunch was cheese crackers and a can of tuna. Try as I might, I couldn't locate any type of can opener. Lucky, I remembered my p-38 I had stashed in my desk drawer, that's when my army training kicked in. I had that can of tuna opened in no time, perhaps faster than using an electric can opener. I never did feel my life was in danger though.

I get snowed and mudded in for a few weeks to a couple months every year. I've had to camp when I didn't want to, but the space blanket saved the day. A year ago this past spring I sprained both ankles about a mile from the house. Had water, MRE, pistol, knife, ammo, dog, phone. Butt-scooted and crawled that mile home through the sage, the prickly pear, the rattlers and scorpions, and let me tell you, that was some work out for a 66 year old guy. Took all summer to get over it. I was telling my neighbors about it last fall and they said why didn't you call one of us to come get you? It's weird because, up until that moment, it had never crossed my mind.

Mostly small things. Flash lights and lanterns during power failures. Rain ponchos in the car when away from home. Carrying a firearm and getting a call on the way home from my wife of a possible intruders on the property.. That allowed me to search the grounds without having to go in the house first for a firearm.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

Quote Originally Posted by Stick View Post
    I get snowed and mudded in for a few weeks to a couple months every year. I've had to camp when I didn't want to, but the space blanket saved the day. A year ago this past spring I sprained both ankles about a mile from the house. Had water, MRE, pistol, knife, ammo, dog, phone. Butt-scooted and crawled that mile home through the sage, the prickly pear, the rattlers and scorpions, and let me tell you, that was some work out for a 66 year old guy. Took all summer to get over it. I was telling my neighbors about it last fall and they said why didn't you call one of us to come get you? It's weird because, up until that moment, it had never crossed my mind.
    That's why I carry some food, some peanut butter to last a couple of days

Glad you made it out ok.
    Last edited by Moonshinedave; 09-02-2017 at 06:25 AM.

While helping the neighbor clear some brush on the back forty. Setting up a couple deer hunting shacks. We ran out of beer and sent his son to get more. Of course the "kid", 20 something, forgets the ice and bought warm beer on sale off the floor. Lesson, never send a boy to do a mans job. Never underestimate the amount of beer 5 guys NEED on a hot day.

Fearing the worse I quickly sprang into action. Without any consideration for my own safety and falling back on my years of service, training and experience. I scooped up the beer and walked down to a spring fed creek. Quickly putting the beer in a nicely flowing rocky area. Using the natural cold water we soon had cool, not ice cold, but cool drinkable beer. Which saved the young fellas life and hardship for the crew.
    Last edited by Chipper; 09-02-2017 at 07:07 AM.

South of the Red River and North of the Rio Grande
    one word.... HARVEY.

yes, going to debrief with a friend on what worked and what didn't. Basically everything worked but a few things could be improved. Lighting is the biggest area that needs to improve.
    "Erosion of our rights just takes a few good men doing nothing"
    Who is John Galt?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links