Prepping for the Elderly? - Page 7
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Prepping for the Elderly?

This is a discussion on Prepping for the Elderly? within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Coastie dad My wife and I, as well as the elders in our family that do believe in the prepping idea, have ...

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Coastie dad View Post
    My wife and I, as well as the elders in our family that do believe in the prepping idea, have already discussed this at some length. Those family members have decided they will live until they die, and that resources to save the young are not to be wasted on the old.
    Sounds hard and cold in this age, but it is how they grew up. It falls of course to us to enforce their wishes. We do what we can, but waste nothing on a lost cause.
    Because we see the young as healthy, just starting in life. But that's not always the case.....

Age shouldn't make any difference.
    Anyone who becomes a burden - regardless of age - should be met with the same principle.....if that's how we see things.
    Last edited by charito; 10-13-2017 at 05:15 AM.

This is true, but we were discussing how the elderly in our family felt about themselves.
    Just because I am peaceful does not mean I have forgotten how to be violent.
    If I am to die tonight I shall see that the night does not pass quietly.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Not a troll, a 12 Charlie)
    Hidden Content

I turned 71 last week & still work every day ot because I have to, but because I like to. The only med I take are to keep my blood pressure down, but if I lost 20 lbs I could toss the meds. I like good food to much I guess & I'm not changing now unless SHTF. I exercise every day, can still toss a 80lbs sack over my shoulder easily. Can't see distance as good as I used to but scopes even the score there. I think in a SHTF scenario I would be a good calming factor to the youngsters in my tribe & able to teach them many things.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Knotacare View Post
    I turned 71 last week & still work every day ot because I have to, but because I like to. The only med I take are to keep my blood pressure down, but if I lost 20 lbs I could toss the meds. I like good food to much I guess & I'm not changing now unless SHTF. I exercise every day, can still toss a 80lbs sack over my shoulder easily. Can't see distance as good as I used to but scopes even the score there. I think in a SHTF scenario I would be a good calming factor to the youngsters in my tribe & able to teach them many things.
    With age comes experience and hopefully wisdom. Maybe we should also talk about prepping for the infirm. Because I'm older than my to stepsons, and I'm in a lot better shape physically. So is my 84 year old uncle. Elderly does not always equal infirm.
    Just because I am peaceful does not mean I have forgotten how to be violent.
    If I am to die tonight I shall see that the night does not pass quietly.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Not a troll, a 12 Charlie)
    Hidden Content

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Yes I did misunderstand your post - thank yo for the clarification. I feel pretty stupid, but I've never been accused of being too bright. Glad to hear you are an active, self-reliant Senior. If I could be so lucky...
    You're going to fit in just fine here.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by PrepperForums View Post

What special challenges will the elderly experience in a SHTF situation?

In what ways can they be more prepared?
    I am 62, and old age hit me like an atomic bomb; and everything that I once had been, was blown to smithereens by it. There is a real chance, that I won't make it through any calamity that may come. But, that doesn't keep me up at night, and I sleep like a baby. A lot of things that I had are gone, but I have peace; and if a life or death sit-rep comes along, I intend to do my best.

For instance, if a crowd shows up at my door, I will empty my .45 into it, as best I can. And if they get me, I will just enter the supernal with a look of satisfaction.
    And I will tell the sainted ones, "I ran out of ammo, I wasn't as prepared as I thought that I was, but I did the best that I could. And I was going for my knife, when they got me. "
    Last edited by MisterMills357; 02-23-2018 at 11:55 AM.
    I am reading The 9/11 Commission Report, and I am about 1/4 of the way through it. It is very well written and it is worth reading. [Sep 23 2019]

As a followup, I turned 77 a few days ago.

Take a left by where that oak tree used to be
    I think most healthy elderly may fare better then many of the young, some things we have that they don’t, knowledge, wisdom, and experience on how to survive......to read about it is one thing, to apply it is another......

Take a left by where that oak tree used to be
    Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    Happy birthday......

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    Happy Birthday!
    St. Michael the Archangel,
    defend us in battle.
    Be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the Devil.
    May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
    and do thou,
    O Prince of the heavenly hosts,
    by the power of God,
    thrust into hell Satan,
    and all the evil spirits,
    who prowl about the world
    seeking the ruin of souls.

Amen

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Sponsored Links