Prepping for the Elderly? - Page 6
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Prepping for the Elderly?

This is a discussion on Prepping for the Elderly? within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I and my Spouse will do everything we can to help our ancestors. If it gets to the point where we are contributing less than ...

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

I and my Spouse will do everything we can to help our ancestors. If it gets to the point where we are contributing less than we consume, well then, so be it.

The old "Foxfire" book series is pretty good.

"Let them give up"? Really?

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Aspirin: Boil the inner lining of Willow. The resulting "tea" is almost identical to aspirin.

In response to the post by Socom42 on July 26; I certainly hope you are not serious; do you really think elderly people are not just as hopeful of living another day as you are? And have an equal right to? Would you really deny someone your compassion and assistance just because they are old? I really hope I'm mis-interpretting your statements. The elderly are just as important to our existence as the young. The knowledge aquired over several decades more than makes up for the physical limitations. I'm in my mid 50's and get offers from AARP nearly every month, so I realize I'm not very far away from being an "old fart". I can only hope there are enough good, caring young people left to help out the elderly when shtf. The old folks are the ones that will have to pass on all the knowledge they can, because without the internet, youotube, and cell phones, the younger generation will be lost. There are not many young folks these days that can even change a flat tire without watching a youtube video first, let alone survive after shtf. Just remember - life is REAL short - you will wake up one day and see an old wrinkled up old face looking back at you. When that time comes, I hope this old saying comes to mind: "what goes round comes round"
    Last edited by Shane; 10-11-2017 at 05:30 PM. Reason: making clear who I was directing my reply to - I thought it would say when posted, but I did not see that

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    I certainly hope you are not serious; do you really think elderly people are not just as hopeful of living another day as you are? And have an equal right to? Would you really deny someone your compassion and assistance just because they are old? I really hope I'm mis-interpretting your statements. The elderly are just as important to our existence as the young. The knowledge aquired over several decades more than makes up for the physical limitations. I'm in my mid 50's and get offers from AARP nearly every month, so I realize I'm not very far away from being an "old fart". I can only hope there are enough good, caring young people left to help out the elderly when shtf. The old folks are the ones that will have to pass on all the knowledge they can, because without the internet, youotube, and cell phones, the younger generation will be lost. There are not many young folks these days that can even change a flat tire without watching a youtube video first, let alone survive after shtf. Just remember - life is REAL short - you will wake up one day and see an old wrinkled up old face looking back at you. When that time comes, I hope this old saying comes to mind: "what goes round comes round"
    Hey Shane ..... let me guess .... you are an old fart sympathizer, huh? However, what we really want to know on your first post here is; why are you interested in being prepared?
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

Lot's of reasons: Because I am afraid of the consequences on NOT being prepared. I was a boy scout - made it to Life, and I served as a scoutmaster for a number of years. Most boy scouts place great value on being prepared. prepared for what? Why, any ole' thing... And... I would like to survive a few more years - watch my grandkids grow up. I want to be prepared so I am able help out my family and neighbors in their efforts to survive, and not be a burden upon those around me. I could go on and on. And yes, I am an old fart sympathizer. It seems most of my life I've been tucked under the wings of several old timers that served as mentors, instructors, and very dear friends. Much of what I know and most of the skills I have aquired have been learned from old farts. Old farts rock!

@Shane , you had better go back and reread the postings, my input was totally sarcastic.

You are not the only one who fell for it, it was presented as an indignation to the idea all old farts need help.

As far as prepared goes, I have most thing covered, have been progressing at a constant level for 40 years.

As far as old farts go, I AM THERE!!! I am 76.

I still work fixing guns part time, can build or wire anything, own a production machine shop to do such with.

And at my age I can still out shoot all those on the PD at qualification for national conceal carry for retired PO's.

Last summer, I replaced rotors, pads and one caliper in my jeep alone.

I just finished making $12K worth of gun parts for guys on another forum.

I also drop trees for firewood and split them myself.

I don't think I need help at this time, further I think like @Smitty901 , when time let me go so as not to be a burden.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 10-11-2017 at 09:26 PM.

My Apologies Socom42 - fell for it hook, line and sinker.

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    @Shane , you had better go back and reread the postings, my input was totally sarcastic.

You are not the only one who fell for it, it was presented as an indignation to the idea all old farts need help.

As far as prepared goes, I have most thing covered, have been progressing at a constant level for 40 years.

As far as old farts go, I AM THERE!!! I am 76.

I still work fixing guns part time, can build or wire anything, own a production machine shop to do such with.

And at my age I can still out shoot all those on the PD at qualification for national conceal carry for retired PO's.

Last summer, I replaced rotors, pads and one caliper in my jeep alone.

I just finished making $12K worth of gun parts for guys on another forum.

I also drop trees for firewood and split them myself.

I don't think I need help at this time, further I think like @Smitty901 , when time let me go so as not to be a burden.
    Yes I did misunderstand your post - thank yo for the clarification. I feel pretty stupid, but I've never been accused of being too bright. Glad to hear you are an active, self-reliant Senior. If I could be so lucky...

Quote Originally Posted by NKAWTG View Post
    I value other older folks for the knowledge and life experiences.

Especially with the new generation now - the ones I meet seem to be clueless about simple practicalities in life!
    Last edited by charito; 10-13-2017 at 05:10 AM.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links