Rural vs Urban Survival

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Rural vs Urban Survival

This is a discussion on Rural vs Urban Survival within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; For whatever reason, not everyone has the option to live in a rural setting or even to buy land to develop an alternative location to ...

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree173Likes

Thread: Rural vs Urban Survival

Administrator

Rural vs Urban Survival

For whatever reason, not everyone has the option to live in a rural setting or even to buy land to develop an alternative location to get to in a SHTF type if situation.

What can people in this situation do to help get themselves prepared?

What challenges will folks in the urban (or suburban) situations face vs. those in rural areas? Can those challenges be overcome? How?
    rice paddy daddy and charito like this.

Administrator

Last edited by Cricket; 09-19-2016 at 08:56 PM. Reason: added links
    Slippy, Sasquatch, Auntie and 3 others like this.
    “And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

Well, looking at the intro picture, if you live in one of those city-center "de-luxe apartments in the sky", there isn't much you can do. If the power goes out, so does the heating/cooling system. Can you even open a window? There won't be any water; you're going to love climbing 50 flights of steps hauling it up to your cold, dark, airless death box. You can't even make a fire to cook. You are pretty much SOL.

Move.
    Last edited by sideKahr; 09-08-2016 at 11:35 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Maybe living next door to a volcano isn't so bad after all
    Slippy and Maol9 like this.
    Strive to Survive and Thrive
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by PrepperForums View Post

For whatever reason, not everyone has the option to live in a rural setting or even to buy land to develop an alternative location to get to in a SHTF type if situation...
    Horse Hockey! The United States of America is still a place where a person can CHOOSE to live anywhere he/she/it wants to live. Most people who live in the city CHOOSE to live in the city...same for those who live in the country.

Most city people who I know CHOOSE to put their heads in the sand about the various situations that we are seeing (and have been seeing for 50+ years). I'll gladly give up opera tickets and ethnic restaurants in order to be able to walk outside my door and be able to send 62 grains of instant hurt at 3100 feet per second whenever I damn well wish...

Choices people, choices...

Administrator

I would respectfully like to add some comments that are simply my opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

I do think there are situations where it would be very difficult for someone to move from their current residence. It may be financial or personal reasons, but I don't think that automatically means they are SOL. I don't believe that anyone is SOL until they either give up or they are 6 foot under. I think there are things that people can continue to do to prepare and to work on alternative plans.

Although I don't live right in the city, I do live close enough to one to have concerns. Living here is certainly a choice that I made, but not one I am yet willing to change because I want to remain close enough to my family and grandchildren to interact with them daily. I still believe there are things I can do to prepare. Just my 2 cents...
    “And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

Retired Moderator

If I had to live in a city in an apartment I would require a 2nd floor and a balcony.

Some people say they live in the city because that is where they need to be to make decent money. I hope they are putting money away for a piece of retirement land.
    Slippy and Maol9 like this.
    Hidden Content
    Remain calm, All is well

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    ...I do think there are situations where it would be very difficult for someone to move from their current residence. It may be financial or personal reasons, but I don't think that automatically means they are SOL. I don't believe that anyone is SOL until they either give up or they are 6 foot under. I think there are things that people can continue to do to prepare and to work on alternative plans...
    You're right, if you live in a high rise, there are some things you should do to prep for a true SHTF if you can't move.

1. Face the fact that survival on the 30th floor in a SHTF situation would be really short term. 2. Arm yourself, if your city allows it. 3. Store water and food to ride out the initial die-off, if you are so inclined. 4. Prepare a bug out bag for when you must leave. 5. Leave

You just can't stay there. The uncontrolled fires that are sure to break out when the water supply fails, combined with the WROL zombies will make it impossible.

Of course, if we're talking about a suburban situation, that changes a lot. But the city center will become uninhabitable, in my opinion.
    Last edited by sideKahr; 09-08-2016 at 01:21 PM.

The Good Cop

Not everyone can afford to pack up and move away. My wife and I certainly could not in the late 1980's when we could only dream of the country life.
    Lack of education (I never got beyond grade 12) certainly can hamper one's ability to land a job in a more desirable part of the country. I certainly did not want to become an over the road trucker, and only be able to spend a few days every couple months at home on a farm.
    Fortunately for us an opportunity for relocation and a promotion was offered by my employer, and we seized it.

There is a very big difference between people who CAN'T move, and people who WON'T move.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

If a person REALLY believes that a SHTF event is going to happen, they would be silly to live in a city
    If a person REALLY believes that a SHTF volcano event is going to happen, they would be silly to live in or around that area
    If a person REALLY believes that a SHTF financial collapse event is going to happen, they would be silly have money in bank

my point is - if you really really think "x" is going to happen you need to arrange your life to best protect your family and yourself.
    acidMia, Maol9, wnlee04 and 1 others like this.
    Be a Berean

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links