Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Rural vs Urban Survival

18K views 130 replies 29 participants last post by  admin 
#1 ·

For whatever reason, not everyone has the option to live in a rural setting or even to buy land to develop an alternative location to get to in a SHTF type if situation.

What can people in this situation do to help get themselves prepared?

What challenges will folks in the urban (or suburban) situations face vs. those in rural areas? Can those challenges be overcome? How?

See less See more
#106 ·
Short of a total EMP type disaster where nothing electrical works I suspect many suburban areas will survive although not without damage from lack of medicine and clean water. I doubt major gangs like you read about in the books will ravage the suburbs. Major city centers will quickly become cesspools of bacteria and death if water or power is disrupted for more than 10-15 days.

Rural areas (average more than 10 acres per home) do have their share of welfare and drug people but clean water is more likely to be available, there is enough firewood in most areas, and people are more likely to have large gardens and the ability to store food they grow. Bottom line is the local resources will not be nearly as strained.

#107 ·
To the urban/suburban folks. As you can see there are a wide variety of opinions out there. You may choose to listen that the urban/suburban people will go down fast or you can choose to do something about it. The choice is yours. I have made my choice.

As I have stated on other threads, I am not ex-military, no training there at all and neither am I a badass. What I am is just an average person. Whether I win or lose remains to be seen. All I can promise is that, with God's help, I will give it my best.

As stated in all the posts so far, I am not an expert in anything. I am still learning and taking it one step at a time. My goal was to get you thinking about doing the same.

I do have one more thing to post then I'm probably done. That will happen either Friday or Saturday. That is unless you have questions. I am willing to help in any way I can.

#110 ·
IMO old people are pretty much done for if SHTF for any length of time. There will sickness and the old and young will perish in higher numbers.

IMO If you're not mobile you're at a higher risk as well.

When preparing and not exactly knowing the details of the SHTF situation limiting your options is counterintuitive. A combination of city and rural may be desirable or having several locations scattered throughout the country/world.

#111 ·
IMO old people are pretty much done for if SHTF for any length of time. There will sickness and the old and young will perish in higher numbers.

IMO If you're not mobile you're at a higher risk as well.

When preparing and not exactly knowing the details of the SHTF situation limiting your options is counterintuitive. A combination of city and rural may be desirable or having several locations scattered throughout the country/world.
Lookey here. He CAN say something that makes sense without being condescending, derogatory, or generally offensive.

6....buddy....I'm so proud of you.

#121 ·
Ezekiel 38 The word of the Lord came to me: 2 "Son of man, set your face against Gog, of the land of Magog, the chief prince of[a] Meshek and Tubal; prophesy against him 3 and say: 'This is what the Sovereign Lord says: I am against you, Gog, chief prince of Meshek and Tubal. 4 I will turn you around, put hooks in your jaws and bring you out with your whole army-your horses, your horsemen fully armed, and a great horde with large and small shields, all of them brandishing their swords. 5 Persia, Cush[c] and Put will be with them, all with shields and helmets, 6 also Gomer with all its troops, and Beth Togarmah from the far north with all its troops-the many nations with you.

Mmmmm????

ETA: the whole quotation was supposed to be in bold but didn't make it.

#130 ·
I think the best route for city dwellers to take is to stock up on essential (water, food, weapons, etc), and be prepaired to walk out of the city if necessary. Hopefully you will be able to drive to a safe place before the actual shtf, but be prepared to be forced to use shank's mare (walk). Maybe have some bicycles.

Then there is the problem of where to go. If you are lucky you will have some friends or relatives who will be willing to take you in. If so it might be a good idea to talk to them now and start helping them to get prepared. If you don't know anyone, all I can say is (good luck).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.