Rural vs Urban Survival - Page 8
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Rural vs Urban Survival

This is a discussion on Rural vs Urban Survival within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I don't have high blood pressure or diabetes. But I've noticed that a lot of city people look down on the rurals as hillbillies, and ...

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Like Tree173Likes

Thread: Rural vs Urban Survival

I don't have high blood pressure or diabetes. But I've noticed that a lot of city people look down on the rurals as hillbillies, and a lot of rurals look upon city folks as condescending yuppies that sniff their own flatulence, mistaking the odor for fresh bloomed roses.

Usually, in my humble opinion borne of living in both environments, each would be limited in their capabilities when roles and locations were reversed. So, let's leave the intramural trash talking and learn from each other.
    Just because I am peaceful does not mean I have forgotten how to be violent.
    If I am to die tonight I shall see that the night does not pass quietly.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Not a troll, a 12 Charlie)
    Hidden Content

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by inceptor View Post
    It was a joke.
    Yah, well joke or not a vet can do a lot but..........

We have a vet here that you'd swear you were in a hospital. Complete operating room with oxygen and heart monitor,x-Ray,etc. He just repaired a ruptured disc in a weenie dogs back. $3,000 operation. WTF ? Lol!!!
    !

Hey 6, go to the gear grab thread. I done axed you a kwestshun.
    Just because I am peaceful does not mean I have forgotten how to be violent.
    If I am to die tonight I shall see that the night does not pass quietly.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Not a troll, a 12 Charlie)
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Operator6 View Post

We have a vet here that you'd swear you were in a hospital. Complete operating room with oxygen and heart monitor,x-Ray,etc. He just repaired a ruptured disc in a weenie dogs back. $3,000 operation. WTF ? Lol!!!
    !
    I understand that. You should see my vets set up, sheesh.

In a real SHTF situation, you will utilize all the options you have.
    Operator6 likes this.

None

Bottom line is that if there was a major nation wide power outage for any reason (something I believe is very possible) for over 2 weeks people in rural areas who are accustomed to doing without power for several days will do much better than people in densely populated areas, especially for the 1st week. After the 2nd week when even hospitals have run out of propane to run their generators and the city sewer systems have crated a bacteria nightmare with no "sanitized" water, living in a urban area will pure hell. People dying from heart attacks as they attempt to dig an outhouse pit to deal with the diarrhea from water borne illness ect.

After that 2 week period while life will be very hard in rural areas they have a much higher chance of actually having food and the knowledge and ability to grow more food. It takes at least 1 1/2 acres of good soil to grow enough to live on and 5+ acres if the soil isn't as good.

I have two friends who work as engineers for two different local power companies. They both are currently switching their companies' transformers from mechanical switching to computer controlled switching, a several year project. They are both concerned about the lost ability to reroute power manually if something took out the home base computers and how this would kick the generators offline. If there was a major power outage across several states taking the generators offline it would take weeks to months to slowly bring the generators back online as they balanced loads against generators.

Then there is the EMP potential, and yes it is real; instant and total.

NotTooProudToHide, I suspect that you may be more trusting in our utility grid and it's ability to recover rapidly than I am.
    @NotTooProudToHide

Quote Originally Posted by Operator6 View Post

!
    Only 3k, that owner got off easy. My wife's Weiner dog set us back 8k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People are remarkably adaptable and survivable whether city or rural. It would depend on the nature of the crisis. Food and sanitation are serious early threats that rural people are generally more prepared for. Urban folks have an advantage in available manpower and knowledge (from so many people).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Coastie dad likes this.

Banned

Why do I see rural people driving into my area every Saturday morning to shop if they're so prepared, they're not buying anything special. Actually most of them are poor and are not prepared at all. That's just what I see, you guys may see better prepared people where you live.

Quote Originally Posted by alexamoretti View Post
    Urban folks have an advantage in available manpower and knowledge (from so many people).

I am sure it will be easier to gather of a group of people in the city to go raid the local walmart.

I am just freaking amazed that people do not get that dangers of a city post shtf. (I am not talking about a big snow storm or a local flood)

1. in the event of a national emergency... who is going to respond.... fema can not handle 1 area flooded, can you imagine them trying to help out during a EMP, a pandemic, or other national event

2. too many people in too little of a space competing for ever shrinking resources

3. History wise.. come SHTF think Aleppo, or Leningrad or Berlin... when supplies get cut off.... and lets remember supplies flow into the cities not out from... cut off the food and water and you have days

4. The water supply close to me will not have 1.5 million people pissing in it

4a - dead bodies historically are horrible disease centers. Hospitals will be overwhelmed and killers

4b - pandemics travel fast through tight packed population centers. stay away from hospitals

5. waste disposal from a high rise will be problematic...

6. heating will be fun and entertaining and also will alert the local folks to your continued presence

7. getting enough water up 5, 10, 15 floors will be neat trick

8 Knowledge... As Hank said.. I had a good friend in new york city his family taught him to be a business man... mine taught me to live off the land.

9. Hank agrees with me

10. I think that from the basics Water, Food, Shelter, Security, Medical.... the first 4 are clearly better in the country...

I do not care where you live...just please do not pee down my back and tell me it is raining.

and that is all i have to say about that
    Be a Berean

Banned

The most heavily prepped people I know live in the city with alternate locations to move to if needed. IMO if your locked into one location that is a mistake. No matter how remote, SHTF might happen at your doorstep not giving you the choice to stay.

You can't wait out chemicals in the air or radiation, you leave or die.

Two is one and one is none, that's how I look at it. The more options the better.
    acidMia likes this.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links