Rural vs Urban Survival - Page 6
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Rural vs Urban Survival

This is a discussion on Rural vs Urban Survival within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Maine-Marine How do you know this and what past event has made you think this way. And - in the event of ...

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Like Tree173Likes

Thread: Rural vs Urban Survival

Quote Originally Posted by Maine-Marine View Post
    How do you know this and what past event has made you think this way.

And - in the event of an EMP restoring services will be months and months if not years or ever

Food production - will be taking place in the country so resources such as fuel will have to get there if the government wants to feed people
    Water - Will not be delivered via the local pipes - it will need to come from cleaner areas

It is not that I want to disagree with you, it is that I do not want anybody lulled into a "The government will take care of us" mindset.

It is easy to say aid will go to the cities first....it is harder to make that happen

interesting fiction book https://www.amazon.com/Solar-Flare-L.../dp/1881273075

the government actually argued about what to do with cities.. they ended up going in and taking people out and setting up amish like camps ... good read.

Just so we know, there are not enough police or military to control the cities. I think NY NY has 40,000 sworn officers and they still can not control the city

do you remember the picture of the man stealing food from a child as she was walking home (I think it was Haiti) it would be the same.. the food/water/fuel may show up... but it can not be secured post handout
    When has that not been the case? Almost every situation that we've seen in history from natural disaster to military action saw relief and services pour into the cities because thats where the people are and thats where the most good can be done in the shortest amount of time.

I think where you live when shtf hits doesn't matter nearly as much as your preparations do. There are going to be people that thrive in both the city and the country as well as people that suffer and or die in both the city and country. You should know your environment, its advantages/disadvantages and be ready to extricate when the time is right.
    inceptor and charito like this.
    Sic Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Quote Originally Posted by NotTooProudToHide View Post
    I think where you live when shtf hits doesn't matter nearly as much as your preparations do. There are going to be people that thrive in both the city and the country as well as people that suffer and or die in both the city and country. You should know your environment, its advantages/disadvantages and be ready to extricate when the time is right.
    @NotTooProudToHide Roger that.

Someone mentioned setting fire to a high rise or urban house.......the same threat of fire can also happen to a fortified cabin in the woods. They can lobby molotov cocktails from afar.

I think, if the marauders sees that a place is well-guarded, wouldn't that be a red flag that indicate the people in that place had prepped in advance? That means, there are tons of food in there.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it's not any better to make prep and have ammos. But we're going to be dealing with all sorts of mentality in a SHTF scenario. Some of these people think they've got nothing to lose, and they can be suicidal in their action.

Unless we've had experience in the military - it'll be easy for us to make mistakes and make assumptions that could cost us dearly.
    When do we start shooting? Do we give any warning before we do? What do we say when we give out the warning? etc.,
    Last edited by charito; 09-13-2016 at 05:07 AM.
    inceptor and Operator6 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by charito View Post
    Someone mentioned setting fire to a high rise or urban house.......the same threat of fire can also happen to a fortified cabin in the woods. They can lobby molotov cocktails from afar.

I think, if the marauders sees that a place is well-guarded, wouldn't that be a red flag that indicate the people in that place had prepped in advance? That means, there are tons of food in there.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it's not any better to make prep and have ammos. But we're going to be dealing with all sorts of mentality in a SHTF scenario. Some of these people think they've got nothing to lose, and they can be suicidal in their action.

Unless we've had experience in the military - it'll be easy for us to make mistakes and make assumptions that could cost us dearly.
    When do we start shooting? Do we give any warning before we do? What do we say when we give out the warning? etc.,
    Here at Slippy Lodge, we are prepared to put the "warning" shot directly on target...

The only warning given here when SHTF is when you see your marauding buddies fall dead to the pavement. There will be no shout out, there will be no warning shot.
    inceptor likes this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Me too, my friend. Me too...
    lol I have been a grandmother since I was 38. It's such a joy to play with then, then hand them back to mom.
    Instead of saying "I don't have time," try saying "It's not a priority," and see how that feels. ~Laura Vanderkam

When has that not been the case? Almost every situation that we've seen in history from natural disaster to military action saw relief and services pour into the cities because thats where the people are and thats where the most good can be done in the shortest amount of time.
    Your answer is very generic and frankly only considers localized situations. Sure if there is a flood in NJ we rush aid to them.... but if there is a emp and EVERYBODY EVERYWHERE is hurting... who decides which cities get aid and which do not.. Because we can not send enough aid to feed LA, NY, CHICAGO, ATLANTA, MIAMI..
    So who decides which cities survive and which do not... In the event of a full scale EMP, financial collapse, nuclear attack... those HELPERS might very well decide to stay home with their families and not drive to the cities to help out there.

If there is a pandemic, who is going to rush to the cities to help

I think where you live when shtf hits doesn't matter nearly as much as your preparations do.
    BULL PUCKY.... of course where you live matters... we all know LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION.... I would rather have a years supply of food and live in the country then have a years supply of food and live in the city. Yes we all may face the same thing.... but there will not be 1,2000,000 within 5 miles of my location.
    Yes somebody could burn me out or snipe me.... BUT playing the odds, they are in my favor.

You should know your environment, its advantages/disadvantages and be ready to extricate when the time is right.
    SHTF a large disadvantage will be having 100's of thousand of strangers within 5 miles of you. Yes knowing the area will help.. but living in the city is like starting a survival race with your feet duck taped to a chair leg

If you think living in the city is = to living in the country when it comes to SHTF...wonderful, but as for me, I will disagree every time this topic comes up
    Be a Berean

Quote Originally Posted by Maine-Marine View Post
    Your answer is very generic and frankly only considers localized situations. Sure if there is a flood in NJ we rush aid to them.... but if there is a emp and EVERYBODY EVERYWHERE is hurting... who decides which cities get aid and which do not.. Because we can not send enough aid to feed LA, NY, CHICAGO, ATLANTA, MIAMI..
    So who decides which cities survive and which do not... In the event of a full scale EMP, financial collapse, nuclear attack... those HELPERS might very well decide to stay home with their families and not drive to the cities to help out there.

BULL PUCKY.... of course where you live matters... we all know LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION.... I would rather have a years supply of food and live in the country then have a years supply of food and live in the city. Yes we all may face the same thing.... but there will not be 1,2000,000 within 5 miles of my location.
    Yes somebody could burn me out or snipe me.... BUT playing the odds, they are in my favor.

SHTF a large disadvantage will be having 100's of thousand of strangers within 5 miles of you. Yes knowing the area will help.. but living in the city is like starting a survival race with your feet duck taped to a chair leg

If you think living in the city is = to living in the country when it comes to SHTF...wonderful, but as for me, I will disagree every time this topic comes up
    At least for now this is still the United States and we're still allowed to have disagreeing opinions so if thats the way you feel then thats fine. I disagree and I believe history supports my opinion but thats neither here nor there.

Now to get back on the topic on hand as far as challenges faced by both locations one thing that I haven't seen discussed is sanitation, in regards to garbage and human waste. The short obvious solution for garbage is to burn it but eventually your going to have to do something with the ashes and burn debris. As far as human waste goes thats going to be a far bigger challenge especially if the water quits flowing. Are you going to use your stored water to flush a toilet? Are you going to dig a latrine pit in your backyard? Are you going to use a bucket and dump it in the gutter? Just something to think about.
    Sic Vis Pacem Para Bellum

I don't know if people overlook the importance of having lime on hand or not. It's something I always have for the garden.

The last thing I intend to use water for is flushing a toilet.

I have a toilet seat that fits on a 5 gal bucket and line that with plastic bags when I camp. If I was hunkered down, the bag would be buried with probably a handful of lime over it.

Lime is also handy for decomposing animals or people.
    acidMia likes this.
    Democrats are doing more to destroy our country than the Russians could ever hope to do.

At least for now this is still the United States and we're still allowed to have disagreeing opinions so if thats the way you feel then thats fine. I disagree and I believe history supports my opinion but thats neither here nor there.

Now to get back on the topic on hand as far as challenges faced by both locations one thing that I haven't seen discussed is sanitation, in regards to garbage and human waste. The short obvious solution for garbage is to burn it but eventually your going to have to do something with the ashes and burn debris. As far as human waste goes thats going to be a far bigger challenge especially if the water quits flowing. Are you going to use your stored water to flush a toilet? Are you going to dig a latrine pit in your backyard? Are you going to use a bucket and dump it in the gutter? Just something to think about.
    so no answer to my points....

Be a Berean

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links