Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Rural vs Urban Survival

18K views 130 replies 29 participants last post by  admin 
#1 ·

For whatever reason, not everyone has the option to live in a rural setting or even to buy land to develop an alternative location to get to in a SHTF type if situation.

What can people in this situation do to help get themselves prepared?

What challenges will folks in the urban (or suburban) situations face vs. those in rural areas? Can those challenges be overcome? How?

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Well, looking at the intro picture, if you live in one of those city-center "de-luxe apartments in the sky", there isn't much you can do. If the power goes out, so does the heating/cooling system. Can you even open a window? There won't be any water; you're going to love climbing 50 flights of steps hauling it up to your cold, dark, airless death box. You can't even make a fire to cook. You are pretty much SOL.

Move.

#5 ·

For whatever reason, not everyone has the option to live in a rural setting or even to buy land to develop an alternative location to get to in a SHTF type if situation...
Horse Hockey! The United States of America is still a place where a person can CHOOSE to live anywhere he/she/it wants to live. Most people who live in the city CHOOSE to live in the city...same for those who live in the country.

Most city people who I know CHOOSE to put their heads in the sand about the various situations that we are seeing (and have been seeing for 50+ years). I'll gladly give up opera tickets and ethnic restaurants in order to be able to walk outside my door and be able to send 62 grains of instant hurt at 3100 feet per second whenever I damn well wish...

Choices people, choices...

#6 ·
I would respectfully like to add some comments that are simply my opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

I do think there are situations where it would be very difficult for someone to move from their current residence. It may be financial or personal reasons, but I don't think that automatically means they are SOL. I don't believe that anyone is SOL until they either give up or they are 6 foot under. I think there are things that people can continue to do to prepare and to work on alternative plans.

Although I don't live right in the city, I do live close enough to one to have concerns. Living here is certainly a choice that I made, but not one I am yet willing to change because I want to remain close enough to my family and grandchildren to interact with them daily. I still believe there are things I can do to prepare. Just my 2 cents...

#8 · (Edited)
...I do think there are situations where it would be very difficult for someone to move from their current residence. It may be financial or personal reasons, but I don't think that automatically means they are SOL. I don't believe that anyone is SOL until they either give up or they are 6 foot under. I think there are things that people can continue to do to prepare and to work on alternative plans...
You're right, if you live in a high rise, there are some things you should do to prep for a true SHTF if you can't move.

1. Face the fact that survival on the 30th floor in a SHTF situation would be really short term. 2. Arm yourself, if your city allows it. 3. Store water and food to ride out the initial die-off, if you are so inclined. 4. Prepare a bug out bag for when you must leave. 5. Leave

You just can't stay there. The uncontrolled fires that are sure to break out when the water supply fails, combined with the WROL zombies will make it impossible.

Of course, if we're talking about a suburban situation, that changes a lot. But the city center will become uninhabitable, in my opinion.

#7 ·
If I had to live in a city in an apartment I would require a 2nd floor and a balcony.

Some people say they live in the city because that is where they need to be to make decent money. I hope they are putting money away for a piece of retirement land.

#9 ·
Not everyone can afford to pack up and move away. My wife and I certainly could not in the late 1980's when we could only dream of the country life.
Lack of education (I never got beyond grade 12) certainly can hamper one's ability to land a job in a more desirable part of the country. I certainly did not want to become an over the road trucker, and only be able to spend a few days every couple months at home on a farm.
Fortunately for us an opportunity for relocation and a promotion was offered by my employer, and we seized it.

There is a very big difference between people who CAN'T move, and people who WON'T move.

#10 ·
If a person REALLY believes that a SHTF event is going to happen, they would be silly to live in a city
If a person REALLY believes that a SHTF volcano event is going to happen, they would be silly to live in or around that area
If a person REALLY believes that a SHTF financial collapse event is going to happen, they would be silly have money in bank

my point is - if you really really think "x" is going to happen you need to arrange your life to best protect your family and yourself.

#12 ·
I agree with MM , that's why I am looking for some land out in the country , I need to make sure I have a place to go if need be and it will serve as a place to go for some peace and quiet till then .

Reactions: Maol9 and acidMia
#13 ·
What challenges will folks in the urban (or suburban) situations face vs. those in rural areas? Can those challenges be overcome? How?
I just think we should be more open to discussing that not everyone currently lives in the perfect setting for prepping.

In my personal opinion that doesn't mean they might as well give up.

I also don't think we should assume that everyone who lives within city limits lives in some high rise building.

Again, just my 2 cents. :tango_face_smile:

#14 ·
Living within the city limits isn't a death sentence in SHTF. As most of you know I live in a suburban area and I KNOW I can last better than 99% of the people around me. Most of the reason that is true is because I am right here on this site learning all I can.

I am currently saving to buy some property in a more rural area. It's not easy. I also found a nice place in a rural area but there were no jobs in the area unless I wanted to work at the one nearby Red Robin slinging burgers. No thanks! Im too young to retire so I'll take my chances here for now.

There is also no crystal ball assuring us S will HTF in our life time. I prep in case of not because of.

Sent from a Galaxy S5 far far away.

#17 ·
Living within the city limits isn't a death sentence in SHTF. .
if you plan on getting out quick it will not be a death sentence... if you think you are going to stick around - this is what will happen

when food runs out..those without will start looking for it... like ants they will start close to home and make ever wider circle of searching and get further out. they will not respect lock doors, sex, age, race, or martial status... if you fight back against the first group the sound will just attract more people.

I can not think of a GOOD out coming for living in a city...at least not long term...

IMHO - if you are not out within a short period of time.. you are screwed

#16 ·
I also live in the city, though not a centre. This was once considered outright suburbia, but has now been swallowed by a big ol' metromess. We have a Walmart ten houses down now. It's definitely not an ideal area to be in, considering looting will just circle out from there. I'm not in the 'won't' pile, that's for sure. It's a 'can't' for the time being. I'm again saving for and constantly searching available rural properties.

For now, I'm working on increasing my knowledge, and my skills. Renovations are underway at the house as well, which will open up the basement for better storage to begin getting the basics in order. I'm also fortunate enough to live in an older development, so there is an actual yard that I can garden in. As mentioned in one of the Suburban Prepping threads, a garden is possible anywhere! It just might not enough to live off of at the moment, but it is a skill. A tip I got from another thread on here was for those of us unable to grow our own food, or enough of our own food, we should still be looking in to preserving it - check out the local farmers markets, pick up some fresh stuff there, and can it/jar it/dry it/etc. These are also skills that we can work on in an urban/suburban setting.

#19 ·
I think an equally dangerous place to live is one of these mega subdivisions in the suburbs. You know the type, developed by a huge National Home Builder company where every fourth house is the same floor plan. Usually there are only 2 or 3 ways in/out. Many of the starter versions of these neighborhoods are inhabited by young couples with young children living on a tight budget and most likely not having any long or medium food or water stores.

Then the SHTF and baby starts crying day 2 and won't shut up because its hungry. Young Mommy starts putting pressure on Young Daddy to get some food or water and stress/youth/immaturity takes over and he does something stupid. Then the gangs see these neighborhoods as easy pickings and it becomes a blood bath, especially in liberal gun hating states.

#24 ·
I have been hearing the same things since I have been on this board. Most say get out and get out now. It's easy to judge others sitting behind a computer and feeling smug. I can promise you each persons situation is different and you don't have enough facts to judge.

I will tell you one short thing about me. Twice the wife and I tried to move. Once to semi rural TN. We were at the bank to sign the papers and the seller backed out at the last second. Another time, we almost moved permanently to Aunties part of the world. I had a small business that was building and the local school system had a contract drawn to hire my wife. She showed up to sign the papers and they decided, again at the last minute, to back out. The person they hired got fired the following year. Small town Colorado. The only way in and out of the area we were in was over a pass. I shut down my business. I couldn't sell it because the landlord would not give anyone a lease. The landlord wanted the business for themselves. I took all my stuff and moved back to Texas. They didn't last a year.

Now we have other considerations. I would love to live a more out of the city life but it's not possible now. So, I do the best I can with what I have.

#26 ·
I have been hearing the same things since I have been on this board. Most say get out and get out now. It's easy to judge others sitting behind a computer and feeling smug. I can promise you each persons situation is different and you don't have enough facts to judge.
I can not judge each person situation... but I can tell you that cities have a denser population then rural areas.. with the denser population comes more criminals and more folks with drug problems and more folks that just dont know or care about each other.

rural folks because of travel time have more stuff... growing up it was 45 minutes to get to a grocery store in the summer and longer in the winter and we went through canada to get there.. because of that we did not shop every week... we stocked up a lot

#25 · (Edited)
I moved out of the big city in 1975 to this rural location.

I am 18 miles from it now, there is a lot of meat between here and there for the predators to feast on and to cut them down.

Those who live in high rises should check the roof for a water tower, many have them to help meet demand pressure within the building,

almost every high rise in NYC has them.

I would, if living in one with a tank, get a bunch of containers to store water in and start filling as soon as possible.

You would have 12-24 hours to fill them before the tank was run down, they fill at night when there is little demand.

The buildings have a dedicated gravity fed system, will still supply water till empty when the power is out .

Those tanks will not back feed the city, all have check valves. Float valves and vac breakers.

#28 · (Edited)
This is a subject that has been on my mind constantly and one that I have vacillated back and forth on since I began prepping. As you all know I live in the burbs of Houston. ( Actually Katy, TX but may as well be Houston ) I am no more then 10 minutes from being in the country for now but day by day I loose ground to one more housing division and one less pasture. While not in the city center by no means, I am in the mix so there is not a day that goes by that I am not on the lookout to get out of this city.

For now I will deal with what I have. I am fully prepared to defend and hold for at least the initial stages of an event, but I know this is not sustainable so I do have a plan to bug out and have a place in Kansas to bug out to. Kansas is a long way and being on the road presents a host of other issues as you know. Timing on when to leave and even if I can leave once things go south.....lots of variables at play. Suffice it to say, I look for opportunities in the country every day.

The other choice I suppose is to take comfort in my "Purdy" AR 15 and a "Yummy glass of ice cold beer. :laughhard:

#29 ·
I'm seeing a lot of doom and gloom forecasted here for those that live in an urban environment either by choice or not by choice and I don't think thats the case. Remember, large population areas are going to be the first ones to see aid come and will be the first to see services restored. However you do have to deal with the fact that you have more people going after resources as well as a higher criminal threat level, but since you're on this forum reading my words then you've either started to get ready or your thinking about it and need to read the advice here and get that way.

#30 ·
Remember, large population areas are going to be the first ones to see aid come and will be the first to see services restored.
How do you know this and what past event has made you think this way.

And - in the event of an EMP restoring services will be months and months if not years or ever

Food production - will be taking place in the country so resources such as fuel will have to get there if the government wants to feed people
Water - Will not be delivered via the local pipes - it will need to come from cleaner areas

It is not that I want to disagree with you, it is that I do not want anybody lulled into a "The government will take care of us" mindset.

It is easy to say aid will go to the cities first....it is harder to make that happen

interesting fiction book https://www.amazon.com/Solar-Flare-Larry-Burkett/dp/1881273075

the government actually argued about what to do with cities.. they ended up going in and taking people out and setting up amish like camps ... good read.

Just so we know, there are not enough police or military to control the cities. I think NY NY has 40,000 sworn officers and they still can not control the city

do you remember the picture of the man stealing food from a child as she was walking home (I think it was Haiti) it would be the same.. the food/water/fuel may show up... but it can not be secured post handout

#31 ·
What all must be reminded of is Agenda 21 which the libtards like O and HRC are lock step in favor of....with Soros' and UN backing.

One of the precepts of the plan is to move ALL the people into Urban "paradises", and only the Monsantos and similar mega-food producers will be allowed in the countryside, insuring that we have plenty of GMO foods to fill our bellies in the city, where we can be "controlled". It's not fiction...it's a FACT!

Vast areas of the country will be off-limits to humans under their plan. And... the move to the cities is already happening due to the manufactured housing crisis. It's getting harder and harder for people to buy or build homes, because the banks won't lend to them. As a result people are being forced into seeking out affordable rent...and that is often only found in urban areas, and smaller living environments. It's all part of the plan, and it is working!

Suburbia is under attack already, being alluded to as a 'fad' of the 50's that is coming to an end. Fortunately, that makes being in the 'burbs after SHTF a little more workable....with land to grow, and less of a chance of attacks....though not eliminated.

Eyes on the ball, folks....keep informed! They want FULL control.

#33 · (Edited)
Any of you that don't understand what I talked about in my last post (Agenda 21 and similar).... take the time and watch these.....

Oh.... and they are working to kill us....as soon as possible!

And a long one....but an EFFECTIVE explanation of what the HELL is going on!

#34 ·
Rural vs urban/suburban, the arguments continue. And I still can't go anywhere.

Most of my life I've been on my own. Only once, for about 5 yrs did I have someone I trusted to have my back. He died when I was 25. I took care of myself before then and I have been taking care of myself ever since.

I am not one to sit and cry "if only this would happen then...... if I only had that then...". No, I will do what I can with what I have. If I'm killed, it won't matter then. If I make it then I'll know I did ok. Until then (like they used to say in the 60's) I'll keep on keeping on. I may be mid 60's but I'm still learning and using this knowledge to do what I can to make it.

Who knows the what, when, where, how or why. If I get killed, they will know they didn't get a cherry. I'm not ex-military, nor am I a badass. I'm just a person who learned how to survive. AND how to trust God.

When I go, I figure it will be kickin and screamin. Until that happens I'll keep working at it.

#36 · (Edited)
Rural vs urban/suburban, the arguments continue. And I still can't go anywhere.

Most of my life I've been on my own. Only once, for about 5 yrs did I have someone I trusted to have my back. He died when I was 25. I took care of myself before then and I have been taking care of myself ever since.

I am not one to sit and cry "if only this would happen then...... if I only had that then...". No, I will do what I can with what I have. If I'm killed, it won't matter then. If I make it then I'll know I did ok. Until then (like they used to say in the 60's) I'll keep on keeping on. I may be mid 60's but I'm still learning and using this knowledge to do what I can to make it.

Who knows the what, when, where, how or why. If I get killed, they will know they didn't get a cherry. I'm not ex-military, nor am I a badass. I'm just a person who learned how to survive. AND how to trust God.

When I go, I figure it will be kickin and screamin. Until that happens I'll keep working at it.
I hear you. You're never alone. God will always have your back - it may not be according to what we expect it to be, but He knows and will do what He knows is best for us.
Remember, this world is simply a stop-over for us. This is not home.
That's what will make a lot of us not worry too much.

We still dream of buying a piece of land. But, right now....living 7 blocks from Walmart is our reality.
We have to make plans around where we are today.

#35 · (Edited)
In a SHTF scenario, people living at the top floors of high rises may not be plum targets for looting for food.
Who wants to waste time climbing up all those 15 plus floors of stairs, only to find the loot isn't all that much?
And whatever they find, they'll have to haul all the way downstairs?

Time is of the essence for the mobs of looters.
You'd want to be the first, if not among the first ones to loot a place!

If I'm a looter, it'll be more practical for me to go for single houses right away.....and nearby farm houses!
Farm houses always equate with food abundance!
I won't want to lose out and go later, when these places have already been picked clean.

Estate lots have good sized pantries, if not the picture of affluence. I imagine they'll be choice targets.

So, for those living in single houses and nearby farms.....beware, and consider the possibility that looters may not waste time going door to door in high rises.

For a lot living in high rise apartments, typically, there's usually only one way in.
Have a good barricade, and fortification of that door. That door is what will stand between you and them.
If there's nowhere to go....maybe, it's best to invest in a strong door.
Persistent ones may try to go through the balcony (from the adjacents apartments), so that's another point of entry to watch out for.
Chances are, no one will bother wasting so much time breaking doors down. They'll most likely to hurry out of there, fearing that they'll loose out on good stuffs as looters go from houses to houses. Imho.

Is that a practical assessment?

#37 ·
In a SHTF scenario, people living at the top floors of high rises may not be plum targets for looting for food.
Who wants to waste time climbing up all those 15 plus floors of stairs, only to find the loot isn't all that much?
And whatever they find, they'll have to haul all the way downstairs?

Time is of the essence for the mobs of looters.
You'd want to be the first, if not among the first ones to loot a place!

If I'm a looter, it'll be more practical for me to go for single houses right away.....and nearby farm houses!
Farm houses always equate with food abundance!
I won't want to lose out and go later, when these places have already been picked clean.

Estate lots have good sized pantries, if not the picture of affluence. I imagine they'll be choice targets.

So, for those living in single houses and nearby farms.....beware, and consider the possibility that looters may not waste time going door to door in high rises.

For a lot living in high rise apartments, typically, there's usually only one way in.
Have a good barricade, and fortification of that door. That door is what will stand between you and them.
If there's nowhere to go....maybe, it's best to invest in a strong door.
Persistent ones may try to go through the balcony (from the adjacents apartments), so that's another point of entry to watch out for.
Chances are, no one will bother wasting so much time breaking doors down. They'll most likely to hurry out of there, fearing that they'll loose out on good stuffs as looters go from houses to houses. Imho.

Is that a practical assessment?
No it is not a practical assessment.

as for being on the 15th floor - one word FIRE!!!!!

The rats are not going to think about the farms until the local (easy pickings are gone).... coachroaches do not leave until everything is gone.

#39 ·
You think? The question is how long will it take them to head to a farm? day 1, day 2, day 3.

If the event is an EMP.. do you think they are going to start walking and hope to find a farm? Which way to go...

Most of the bad folks have never been to a farm and the vast majority will not have a clue on how to find one

sure, the farmers will have to defend themselves - but a few slippy pikes with craniums attached to the tops will send a message to the future

and frankly all raiders are ignorant.. if they were not ignorant they would not be raiders... check and mate

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.