Rural vs Urban Survival - Page 3

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Rural vs Urban Survival

This is a discussion on Rural vs Urban Survival within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Be able to defend yourself! Arm yourself, if your city allows it. To hell if the city allows or not, better to be judged by ...

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree173Likes

Thread: Rural vs Urban Survival

Be able to defend yourself!

Arm yourself, if your city allows it.

To hell if the city allows or not, better to be judged by twelve than carried by six. Folks ask me if I have a carry permit, yes, I say. Its the second amendment. It will be wrol. jmho.

I do worry about my daughter who is at college in the twin cities being able to get home should something happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    @inceptor has some amazing threads related to this topic that people concerned about suburban prepping should check out as well.

https://www.prepperforums.net/forum/u...pping-1-a.html
    https://www.prepperforums.net/forum/u...pping-2-a.html
    Thanks
    Cricket and rice paddy daddy like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I have been hearing the same things since I have been on this board. Most say get out and get out now. It's easy to judge others sitting behind a computer and feeling smug. I can promise you each persons situation is different and you don't have enough facts to judge.

I will tell you one short thing about me. Twice the wife and I tried to move. Once to semi rural TN. We were at the bank to sign the papers and the seller backed out at the last second. Another time, we almost moved permanently to Aunties part of the world. I had a small business that was building and the local school system had a contract drawn to hire my wife. She showed up to sign the papers and they decided, again at the last minute, to back out. The person they hired got fired the following year. Small town Colorado. The only way in and out of the area we were in was over a pass. I shut down my business. I couldn't sell it because the landlord would not give anyone a lease. The landlord wanted the business for themselves. I took all my stuff and moved back to Texas. They didn't last a year.

Now we have other considerations. I would love to live a more out of the city life but it's not possible now. So, I do the best I can with what I have.

I moved out of the big city in 1975 to this rural location.

I am 18 miles from it now, there is a lot of meat between here and there for the predators to feast on and to cut them down.

Those who live in high rises should check the roof for a water tower, many have them to help meet demand pressure within the building,

almost every high rise in NYC has them.

I would, if living in one with a tank, get a bunch of containers to store water in and start filling as soon as possible.

You would have 12-24 hours to fill them before the tank was run down, they fill at night when there is little demand.

The buildings have a dedicated gravity fed system, will still supply water till empty when the power is out .

Those tanks will not back feed the city, all have check valves. Float valves and vac breakers.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 09-08-2016 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by inceptor View Post
    I have been hearing the same things since I have been on this board. Most say get out and get out now. It's easy to judge others sitting behind a computer and feeling smug. I can promise you each persons situation is different and you don't have enough facts to judge.
    I can not judge each person situation... but I can tell you that cities have a denser population then rural areas.. with the denser population comes more criminals and more folks with drug problems and more folks that just dont know or care about each other.

rural folks because of travel time have more stuff... growing up it was 45 minutes to get to a grocery store in the summer and longer in the winter and we went through canada to get there.. because of that we did not shop every week... we stocked up a lot
    Be a Berean

Quote Originally Posted by Maine-Marine View Post
    I can not judge each person situation... but I can tell you that cities have a denser population then rural areas.. with the denser population comes more criminals and more folks with drug problems and more folks that just dont know or care about each other.

rural folks because of travel time have more stuff... growing up it was 45 minutes to get to a grocery store in the summer and longer in the winter and we went through canada to get there.. because of that we did not shop every week... we stocked up a lot
    I understand how cities are. I also understand the inner city thought process. I grew up there. I was one of them. I got out, well at least farther out. Well, actually 1100 miles out. I was the oldest, made the plan to get out and we did. I never looked back. I figured I wouldn't live to see 30 if I stayed. I left when I was 29. My brother once told me that if we hadn't moved when we did, one or both of us would be dead by now.

Getting a new place isn't in the cards right now. That is unless we take up a collection. I shouldn't need more than say $500k.

God put me here for a reason. He hasn't let me leave yet. So, I will do what I need to do when I need to do it. 60+ and I'm still learning new things. God has a plan, I'm just doing whatever he wants.

This is a subject that has been on my mind constantly and one that I have vacillated back and forth on since I began prepping. As you all know I live in the burbs of Houston. ( Actually Katy, TX but may as well be Houston ) I am no more then 10 minutes from being in the country for now but day by day I loose ground to one more housing division and one less pasture. While not in the city center by no means, I am in the mix so there is not a day that goes by that I am not on the lookout to get out of this city.

For now I will deal with what I have. I am fully prepared to defend and hold for at least the initial stages of an event, but I know this is not sustainable so I do have a plan to bug out and have a place in Kansas to bug out to. Kansas is a long way and being on the road presents a host of other issues as you know. Timing on when to leave and even if I can leave once things go south.....lots of variables at play. Suffice it to say, I look for opportunities in the country every day.

The other choice I suppose is to take comfort in my "Purdy" AR 15 and a "Yummy glass of ice cold beer.
    Last edited by Prepared One; 09-09-2016 at 03:56 AM.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

I'm seeing a lot of doom and gloom forecasted here for those that live in an urban environment either by choice or not by choice and I don't think thats the case. Remember, large population areas are going to be the first ones to see aid come and will be the first to see services restored. However you do have to deal with the fact that you have more people going after resources as well as a higher criminal threat level, but since you're on this forum reading my words then you've either started to get ready or your thinking about it and need to read the advice here and get that way.
    Sic Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Quote Originally Posted by NotTooProudToHide View Post
    Remember, large population areas are going to be the first ones to see aid come and will be the first to see services restored.
    How do you know this and what past event has made you think this way.

And - in the event of an EMP restoring services will be months and months if not years or ever

Food production - will be taking place in the country so resources such as fuel will have to get there if the government wants to feed people
    Water - Will not be delivered via the local pipes - it will need to come from cleaner areas

It is not that I want to disagree with you, it is that I do not want anybody lulled into a "The government will take care of us" mindset.

It is easy to say aid will go to the cities first....it is harder to make that happen

interesting fiction book https://www.amazon.com/Solar-Flare-L.../dp/1881273075

the government actually argued about what to do with cities.. they ended up going in and taking people out and setting up amish like camps ... good read.

Just so we know, there are not enough police or military to control the cities. I think NY NY has 40,000 sworn officers and they still can not control the city

do you remember the picture of the man stealing food from a child as she was walking home (I think it was Haiti) it would be the same.. the food/water/fuel may show up... but it can not be secured post handout
    Maol9 and acidMia like this.
    Be a Berean

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links