Survival Fitness
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Survival Fitness

This is a discussion on Survival Fitness within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; We may be well prepared with food storage, first aid, water, and shelter, but what about physical fitness? What steps are you taking to be ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Survival Fitness

Administrator

Survival Fitness

We may be well prepared with food storage, first aid, water, and shelter, but what about physical fitness?

What steps are you taking to be physically fit and healthy enough to do what needs to be done in a SHTF situation?

What recommendations do you have for others?

Im working on getting back into shape right now. I'm embarrassed of how far I've let myself go. Not to be an Al Bundy, but I used to be a college athlete and I'm not sure I could continually run a mile now. Like I said, working on it.
    Cricket likes this.
    Sic Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Administrator

This is one that I have been trying to focus on.

Currently I walk daily and do some hiking when I have time.

I want to work on more basic strength and endurance training.
    NotTooProudToHide likes this.
    “And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I have dropped over 50 lbs this year. Change of diet. Plan on increasing my activity as the weather cools
    Cricket and Sasquatch like this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

Lost about 30# so far since June. But I've got to seriously increase my strength and stamina.
    Run? Never have been much of one, even when I was under 200. Guess I'll have to walk to the war.
    Cricket likes this.
    Just because I am peaceful does not mean I have forgotten how to be violent.
    If I am to die tonight I shall see that the night does not pass quietly.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Not a troll, a 12 Charlie)
    Hidden Content

Fitness, general healthiness, the most underrated topic in preparedness. I cannot believe how this topic is overlooked so often.

I think this is a hard topic because there really is no best or direct route to "survival fitness". Maybe military fitness is the best because it would fit best in a survival situation, but whether it is basketball, running, yoga, weight lifting, all is better than nothing. If you are already fit, I think your goal should be going towards the military fitness style, so if you are a really great basketball player in terms of fitness level, incorporate some climbing, crawling, etc.

Lets be perfectly honest, most of us will most likely die because of a heart attack vs some shtf scenario. That is the cold hard truth, it isn't sexy like dying while battling a horde of zombies as you make your last stand on bunker hill. We talk lots about waking up, and facing the real world situation, yet we miss something right in front of us. And perhaps it is my local area, but preppers really seem to fall into the stereotypical overweight male who drinks scotch at night while talking about the upcoming SHTF scenario while his gut makes his pregnant wife look like a twig. Talking about how if those sheeple ever come to my farm I will shoot them, yeah right buddy, you will have an incredibly hard time maneuvering and breathing in a life and death scenario. Shooting hungry people is different than sitting on a chair and sitting paper, these people will move.
    Last edited by mcangus; 08-19-2016 at 08:24 AM.

I had Bariatric surgery back in May and I have lost over 50 lbs. since then , I feel great , I began my diet three and a half years ago , when I started I weighted 587 lbs. as today I weight 348 lbs. my weight I want to be is 245 lbs. I will have one more operation to take off the extra skin in March of 2017 , with the weight I lose from now to then should " with the next operation " I hope to be at 245 lbs. .. It's the best thing I ever did .
    Cricket, acidMia, inceptor and 1 others like this.
    Hidden Content
    GOD Bless The South , The best things in life are Hidden Content ,Hidden Content ,Hidden Content , prayer , 2nd Amendment , my wife , not all in the order .

Banned

You guys just now starting to work out, remember this.

Muscles condition faster than ligaments and joints.

Just because you can " muscle it " doesn't mean your joints and ligaments can. The can snap like a rubber band.

Stretch on your off days and always drink plenty of water.

Treat it like a scientific experiment rather than an emotional roller coaster.

Take emotions out of the equation and follow a workout and eating plan.

Do not cheat ! Cheating is denial, cheating kills your gains and discourages you.

Now, get to work.
    acidMia and shooter like this.

I am swimming, light running, and light wights plus the heavy bag. I am not the workout king I used to be and I am never where I want to be but I'm working it. Knees and back take special consideration. I will never be 21 and in the ring again but I do as best I can. Just been to the heart guy and my heart and circulatory is good. Just have to take the BP pills and watch the weight. Diet is important as well as when you eat. I am down over 40 lbs.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

I've found out I can split wood with a mail, pound fence posts into our succulent NW Arkansas soil, haul square bales, and wrestle aggressive adolescents and adults to the ground. But when it comes to running or uphill walking, I get winded too quick. A dr told me my lungs don't inflate to their capacity due to past asthma problems. I'm no dr, but I call bs on that.
    So I've really got to work on that .
    Just because I am peaceful does not mean I have forgotten how to be violent.
    If I am to die tonight I shall see that the night does not pass quietly.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Not a troll, a 12 Charlie)
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links