How to Get Started Growing Your Own Food
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on How to Get Started Growing Your Own Food within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Planting a garden can be a great way to reduce your monthly food costs while ensuring that the produce you enjoy is organic and not ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: How to Get Started Growing Your Own Food

Administrator

Planting a garden can be a great way to reduce your monthly food costs while ensuring that the produce you enjoy is organic and not coated with pesticides or other chemicals. Planting enough food to feed your family can be challenging and sometimes intimidating, but it's also rewarding. If you want to create your own garden, here are some tips and tricks to get you started.

Choose Your Location

First, you need to decide what part of your home or yard you're going to turn into a garden. Take a close look at the available area and ask yourself these questions:

1. Does this area get full sunlight for at least six hours a day?
    2. Do I have the ability to get water to this area if it doesn't rain?
    3. Is the ground relatively flat?
    4. Are there any low spots that could trap cold air during the cooler months, creating frost pockets?
    5. Is the soil suitable for growing?
    6. Are there any rules against planting a garden in my Home Owners Association handbook?

If you can answer yes to the first five items, and no to the last one, then congratulations – you've found the perfect spot for your garden.
    Sunlight is the most important of these questions. Most vegetables require full sun for at least six hours a day – and some require more – so make sure you don't have any overhanging trees or branches. Water is also a necessity, so be prepared to lug a watering can if your hose doesn't reach. Flat ground allows for even water distribution and prevents rain erosion from washing away your plants.

Learn Your Growing Season

Your next step is going to be learning your local growing season. This will vary depending on where you live – southern states have longer growing seasons than northern ones, because they get warm earlier and cool off later. First, check the USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map – this will provide you with your growing zone. Next, take a look at this chart that will tell you your primary growing season.
    You can figure out your own growing season by paying attention to the weather too. No matter where you live, your growing season starts after the last frost of the year and ends after the first frost of the new season. Anything planted before the growing season begins or after it ends might not germinate, and if it does, the plant itself will likely die in the cold weather.

Collect Your Tools

Once you've chosen a location, you need to start collecting your tools to get your garden ready before it's time to plant. Your exact collection may vary depending on what you're planting, but in general, you're going to need:

• Shovels, spades, rakes and other hand tools. Keep a sharp shovel handy to break up roots that you might encounter.
    • A roto-tiller to turn the soil if you don't want to do it by hand.
    • A wheelbarrow for moving large items like soil, or to collect your harvest.
    • Gloves to protect your hands.
    • An air compressor for powering tools, filling tires, and cleaning off ground-based produce like carrots and potatoes.
    • At least one hose with a watering attachment, or watering cans.
    • Stakes or trellises for plants like beans and tomatoes that grow upward.

Once you've collected all your tools, and the weather warms up, it's finally time to plant.

Plant According to the Directions

Your next step is to sow your crops, but make sure that you're planting all of these fruits and vegetables according to the directions. Some require more water than others, and some need to be kept far away from similar plants.
    Potatoes, for example, don't grow well around tomatoes, melons, or sunflowers. Keep your beans away from beets and peppers. Broccoli and cauliflower might grow well together, but they won't grow at all if you plant them near your squashes. Asparagus won't grow if your garden is too crowded, or if you plant it near any veggies that grow underground like onions and potatoes. Sunflowers release a chemical that prevents anything around them from growing – great for weed control, but not so great if you're putting them in an already crowded garden.
    Plan out your garden accordingly. You can grow all of these things and more in the same garden. You just need to be a little more mindful of your placement.

Enjoy Your Harvest

Once you've got the plants in the ground, all that's left is to be patient. Vegetables and fruits can grow in as little as 30 days or as much as 120 or more, so you may be waiting a while. Keep an eye on things, make sure everything is watered and watch out for pests, but that's all you really have to do once the garden is planted.
    At this point, all that's left to do is enjoy your harvest – and maybe learn how to can or preserve produce because you might have a lot of it leftover!

Guest Author Article By:
    Scott Huntington is a writer from central Pennsylvania. He enjoys working on his home and garden with his wife and 2 kids. Follow him on Twitter @SMHuntington
    Last edited by Cricket; 04-30-2019 at 02:36 PM.
    Denton, bigwheel, Annie and 3 others like this.
    “And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

One really big addition. Don't live in the desert.
    Cricket, Smitty901, Slippy and 1 others like this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by paraquack View Post
    One really big addition. Don't live in the desert.
    Forgive my naive question, but wouldn't a greenhouse work in the desert or is just too hot?
    “And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Start with Potatoes high yeld. easy and high pay back.
    Cricket and StratMaster like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Are there any rules against planting a garden in my Home Owners Association handbook?

check with your municipality - very common BOCA ordinance across the country is nooooooo veggie planting in the front yard section of your plot - there's usually a % that needs to be in grass - no large majority even in flowers ....
    Cricket and Denton like this.
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

A green house would only make it hotter. Unless you go to the expense to put shades on it. O liked what Disney did. They have sprinlers spray soap suds on the top to block the sun when it get too hot. I do grow some stuff, tomatoes, potatoes, green peppers, etc. but the crops are very small, and it takes a ton of water.
    Denton and Cricket like this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Excellent thread

Oh, one more thing @Cricket

Make sure you have an illegal or two around for things like manure spreading and the like!

Super Moderator

Ah, spring! We've got the lettuces in now. Hubs has some other things planted in the raised beds. I need to ask him what they are.

Garlic, basil--but I bring the basil in when the temps drop. Still early here. I keep most of the herbs for my kitchen garden in tall pots in a fenced in area which is nice and sunny. It's deer proof. My other herbs'll be getting planted soon. Rosemary, oreganno, mint (which grows like a weed), cilantro....smells like heaven.
    Cricket, Slippy and phrogman like this.
    "But in the end my Immaculate Heart will triumph"--OL Fatima

Being a city boy, growing things was something I never learned to do. BUT I'm correcting that now since I retired. I've joined our local Master Gardeners Association and all interns must take classes. Classes are taught by professors from A&M and some local experts. You get fire hosed with info but boy have I learned a lot. And I'm having fun doing it. And the learning continues with being around people who have been doing this for years. Many love passing along what they've learned over the years.

Not if but when things get ugly, the plan is to be able to add to our meal from the garden.
    Slippy, Inor and Annie like this.

We started with a large garden, learned a few things but because of the constant weeding we now just grow in a few raised beds. But we still keep the larger garden area clear in case it's ever needed.

Keeping a little bag of heirloom seeds isn't enough, you need things like fertilizer, pest controls, and basic tools if you plan to plant an emergency garden.
    Slippy and Annie like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links