How to Get Started Growing Your Own Food - Page 4
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

How to Get Started Growing Your Own Food

This is a discussion on How to Get Started Growing Your Own Food within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by KUSA Inor and Slippy just arenít in tune with nature. Originally Posted by Annie haha! OK, I see what's going on here! ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: How to Get Started Growing Your Own Food

Quote Originally Posted by KUSA View Post
    Inor and Slippy just arenít in tune with nature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    haha!
    OK, I see what's going on here!

Laugh it up you comedians, and next harvest when me and @Inor win the national title for biggest Avocado's essentially putting an end to all of this "Avocado from Mexico" nonsense, and for best Coffee grown in the US, knocking that wetback Juan Valdez on his wetback ass, then we'll see who's laughing!
    Inor, Prepared One and Annie like this.

I think this year I am going to try and plant a Knob Creek tree. Then I won't care if I kill everything else.
    Slippy likes this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

https://greatist.com/ is where i get most of my information for growing but i'm confused on when you mentioned the growing zone, can you please elaborate
    inceptor likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bixon View Post
    https://greatist.com/ is where i get most of my information for growing but i'm confused on when you mentioned the growing zone, can you please elaborate
    The US is divided up into grow areas. What does well in your area can differ in my area. Just as an example, last year my wife bought a vine. Here it is an annual, in Houston it's a perennial. When buying plants, a seller should ask what zone you are in. Below is a link to the USDA zone map. Put in your zip code and it will display what zone you are in. In N TX, we are in zone 8A.

https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/
    Annie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by inceptor View Post
    The US is divided up into grow areas. What does well in your area can differ in my area. Just as an example, last year my wife bought a vine. Here it is an annual, in Houston it's a perennial. When buying plants, a seller should ask what zone you are in. Below is a link to the USDA zone map. Put in your zip code and it will display what zone you are in. In N TX, we are in zone 8A.

https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/
    Wow thats amazing, i got: Zone 7b : 5 to 10 (F)
    inceptor likes this.

Moderators, can you remove Bixon's link?
    esmok likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    Moderators, can you remove Bixon's link?
    Why? What's wrong with a link to a useless blog that has nothing to do with the topic at hand?

I expect a lot of persons coming out of the confines of Netflix for the first time to start gardens given the current situation, and I applaud that.

I would like to add one tid bit of advice,

Don't start your seeds to early.

Calm down and let me explain.

In my area of Michigan the rule of thumb is putting your garden, OUT on or about May 20th. throngs of people do so on the memorial week end.

I have lost 2 wonderfully started gardens on the 29th of May from Frost.

So back up to start your plants inside. or in a green house, where ever you plan to start them.

You need to know your weather condition, ideal date of planting, last day of frost expected, and the hardy nature of the plants you are going to grow.

Kale, Arugala, Potatoes, Alaskan Snap pees will grow through a frost.

Cucumbers will drop dead, if the weather girl mentions on the news that there is a chance of spotty frost, next week Tuesday.

Plants need to be hardened, by mother nature, wind whipped and sun beaten.

Many persons start plants inside, and they grow like crazy in the protected environment, long tall and spindly. the first time mother nature shows them a wind, they fold at the ground and or become sun burnt.

Put your starters out in the environment every day that it is above freezing, to harden them.

And back up no more than 6 weeks from your target date for putting them outside, or they will grow uncontrolled and die when you transplant them.

Remember exceptions to every thing, in Michigan here you can plant Alaskan snap pees and they will grow under the snow a little.

Cucumbers die from a cool breeze.

Proceed with your seeds wisely.

There may not be another pack at the store, when you go again.
    NewRiverGeorge, Bcat and No Body like this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Sponsored Links