Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Can We Trust The News Media?

17K views 76 replies 41 participants last post by  The Tourist 
#1 ·

How often do you see a story in the news and immediately jump to conclusions about what you have read without knowing the entire story?

Do you believe there are any truly unbiased news sources left? Or, is most news written with the purpose of getting attention, good or bad.

Have you ever called out a new source for not reporting the full story?

See less See more
#2 ·
Most of them no. CNN, MSNBC ect make it up as the go. Yes I have called them out and they just don't care.

#10 ·
With questions like these …. I think Cricket is just trying to stir the pot and get me all worked up. May God watch over any newbies and those darn stupid comments tonight. :devil:
Actually, I was just kind of frustrated with the news today. I am so weary of misleading images and stories that don't tell the full story.

Today KSAT News (my local channel) posted the report on Facebook.

View attachment 95423

Now anyone who vapes knows the story doesn't quite make sense, so I went to read the story and knew it made even less sense.
https://www.ksat.com/health/texas-man-dies-after-ecigarette-explodes-in-his-face

So I researched around to see what other news reports I could find.
https://www.usnews.com/news/nationa...old-dies-in-texas-after-his-vape-pen-explodes

Now their headline was still "out there" but they at least told more of the story that finally makes sense.
https://www.usnews.com/news/nationa...old-dies-in-texas-after-his-vape-pen-explodes

The guy was using a mechanical mod which definitely has more safety issues if you don't know what you're doing. I have been vaping for 6 years and won't even consider using a mechanical mod. I like that if I space out and put my batteries in backward, my mod won't even turn on. My vape shop (and every shop that I know of) teaches battery safety and makes you sign that you understand. Ya can't force people to listen though...

I think my point is that very few people actually understand anything about vaping so they automatically believe what they read when clearly the reporter didn't understand the topic they were writing about.

Yes, I called KSAT out on their misleading image and report.

I think we can say the same with just about any topic out there. Sensational titles draw people in. They read it on the internet so it must be true, ya know?

When did we stop thinking for ourselves?

#8 ·
Nope, not even Fox News.
I do not watch TV. I do go to the various websites of national news, and realizing each has its own bias and agenda, try to reach a reasonable conclusion.
For a speech or news conference, I watch videos on C-Span.org to get the unvarnished words.

With the new AI being able to twist videos of people we most likely will be lied to very often.

#13 ·
That story even made the radio news in Florida. And it was only a few second sound bite, basically saying nothing more than the original headline you mentioned.
(I get bored delivering auto parts and sometimes listen to the radio)

#14 ·
I was reading a political news story today. I actually checked the same topic on 4 different news media sites.

I certainly didn't expect the same slant on each story but I didn't expect totally different facts.

It makes it tough for people to have a clue what the REAL story is any more on ANY topic.

#17 ·
But see, that is EXACTLY what I mean by CRAP news stories.

1. I don't know anyone who thinks kids should be vaping. I also know that when I walk into my vape store with my youngest daughter (turning 25) they ask her for ID before she is all the way in the door. (FWIW she is a smoker. She doesn't vape.)

2. Why did they choose a total douchebag for this story? Why didn't they speak to folks like me who smoked (HEAVILY) for nearly 40 years and tried literally everything to quit smoking? Within weeks of me leaving smokes and vaping instead my cough went away. Within a few months, my blood pressure was back to normal and I stopped getting repeated upper respiratory infections. For me personally, if I couldn't vape, I would be smoking again.​

As I mentioned, I don't want to turn this into a debate about vaping. I want it to be about the fact that news stories manage to sensationalize EVERY DANG STORY for ratings instead of giving us a balanced story.

Why can't we just hear the news without any slant at all?

#18 ·
Because media outlets are a business and they want to make money. Truth doesnt sell.

Most media outlets were tanking before Trump was elected. But now that they can make up fake or sensationalized stories about him to sell to their base they are making money again.

Most are still in the toilet but they are making some money.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#25 ·
I quit watching TV four years ago, and it's getting closer to five. If anything, I just listen to the weather, and walk on by.

We get Fox News on our local radio station. Short, sweet, without the brouhaha. Hannity comes on later, and I read a magazine and listen until he repeats himself.

#26 ·
I trust the news media like I trust the used car salesman when he says "Trust Me". I check my back pocket for my wallet and then reach for my pistol.

#28 ·
If you really want to know what's going on in the world and how to fix it, ask @Slippy ! :tango_face_wink:

#30 ·
1) I'd say on average about once a week I see a head line that points me in one direction, but then when I read it... the story was in a different direction. For example... on Yahoo Homepage they have paid sponsor stories inline with their regular news stories. More often than not, the paid sponsor stories are misleading.

2) Sadly I am aware of only 1 network that I've seen "real" news. The worst part? I can't always get reception of this network... so I don't get to watch it often but the news I've seen on PBS seems to be the most unbiased.

3) Yes. A local CBS station.

It's in my opinion that profits drive news. Worst of all, people who call themselves journalists are bought and paid for. Coming from someone who attended journalism school and has been an Associate Editor to 3 national magazines (off-road titles) it's very clear by the language they use in describing certain issues. The viewer is pointed in a particular direction without them even knowing. It's all very sad.

#31 ·
You have to monitor a variety of news sourcs . With something breaking you have to wait for things to work out. Especially with short film clips they do not show you what happened prior and without that context you cannot know what is realy going on.

#32 · (Edited)
I have not trusted any media outlets in a long, long, time. I wrote a local newspaper in 1982 about an anti-gun article that the paper printed. I got a snotty, dismissive reply, which was expected. You get the idea, that was a long time ago, and my opinion of them has only gotten worse.

The media has been an enemy of the Second Amendment for as long as I can remember; which in turn means that it is inimical to my feelings on the matter. I used that as a yardstick for a long time. But, now, the media is my opponent on nearly everything, and I would be a fool to trust them.

#33 ·
My wife and i wee watching election night coverage in 2016. We were flipping channels to try and get a 'whole' picture. FOX News wouldn't call Georgia and another Southern State even though it was an hour passed the close of their polls and kept talking about how Virginia and some of the rust belt states were going to go Hillary. I flipped to FOX Business and they had the southern States Red for Trump. I kept it on FOX Business. We knew right then that the 'panel' on FOX News was lying by omission and trying to influence voters out west. I stayed up all night and smoked a good cigar and tipped some bourbon in the driveway. I cried. Both for the miracle of dodging the Bullet that is Hillary and what our country has turned in to.

My wife and I do not trust the media. Her parents are passed. My parents are MSM tards. There's no hope for them.

I like the feel of books, magazines, and newspaper in my hands....... haven't picked up a newspaper in 20 years. Stopped reading any weekly/monthly sports or current events media almost as long ago. I read trade magazines, subject specific publications, and paperbacks now. I read certain websites for my news intake. I listen to some talk radio, not much anymore. More and more, I am simply tuning out of their message(s).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.