Can We Trust The News Media? - Page 5
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Can We Trust The News Media?

This is a discussion on Can We Trust The News Media? within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Cricket Actually, I was just kind of frustrated with the news today. I am so weary of misleading images and stories that ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Can We Trust The News Media?

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Actually, I was just kind of frustrated with the news today. I am so weary of misleading images and stories that don't tell the full story.

Today KSAT News (my local channel) posted the report on Facebook.

Attachment 95423

Now anyone who vapes knows the story doesn't quite make sense, so I went to read the story and knew it made even less sense.
    https://www.ksat.com/health/texas-ma...es-in-his-face

So I researched around to see what other news reports I could find.
    https://www.usnews.com/news/national...e-pen-explodes

Now their headline was still "out there" but they at least told more of the story that finally makes sense.
    https://www.usnews.com/news/national...e-pen-explodes

The guy was using a mechanical mod which definitely has more safety issues if you don't know what you're doing. I have been vaping for 6 years and won't even consider using a mechanical mod. I like that if I space out and put my batteries in backward, my mod won't even turn on. My vape shop (and every shop that I know of) teaches battery safety and makes you sign that you understand. Ya can't force people to listen though...

I think my point is that very few people actually understand anything about vaping so they automatically believe what they read when clearly the reporter didn't understand the topic they were writing about.

Yes, I called KSAT out on their misleading image and report.

I think we can say the same with just about any topic out there. Sensational titles draw people in. They read it on the internet so it must be true, ya know?

When did we stop thinking for ourselves?
    KENS 5 is even worse than KSAT! They're both terrible news outlets. I watch them for the weather and traffic, not much else. I don't trust Fox anymore. Never trusted the other MSM outlets. I look around at a bunch of places, wait for stories to develop, and form my own thoughts and conclusions about a particular subject

I honestly think they're unreliable.

How often do you see a story in the news and immediately jump to conclusions about what you have read without knowing the entire story?

Do you believe there are any truly unbiased news sources left? Or, is most news written with the purpose of getting attention, good or bad.

Have you ever called out a new source for not reporting the full story?
    Cricket....really? Have you been on safari or some shit? I mean damn...you seemed like a smart person....educated....succinct...even...dare I say...hip. But now. With one post....you have called into doubt not only your own intelligence, but your entire family lineage. Are you from Kentucky? I'm from Kentucky...and I know what people from Kentucky do in Kentucky....

I'm not criticizing...I'm simply observing and reporting...much like our media does....but maybe I made some inferences I should not have...if I were a diligent journalist. Maybe I jumped to a conclusion and fit my statement to reinforce an opinion.....or maybe yu are from Kentucky...with an Aunt-Mommy....just saying.....
    Slippy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Old SF Guy View Post
    Cricket....really? Have you been on safari or some shit? I mean damn...you seemed like a smart person....educated....succinct...even...dare I say...hip. But now. With one post....you have called into doubt not only your own intelligence, but your entire family lineage. Are you from Kentucky? I'm from Kentucky...and I know what people from Kentucky do in Kentucky....

I'm not criticizing...I'm simply observing and reporting...much like our media does....but maybe I made some inferences I should not have...if I were a diligent journalist. Maybe I jumped to a conclusion and fit my statement to reinforce an opinion.....or maybe yu are from Kentucky...with an Aunt-Mommy....just saying.....
    It is simply a discussion, but you are welcome to call my intelligence into question if it makes ya feel better.

- Cricket
    Sasquatch and Slippy like this.
    “And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

no!!!!

It is simply a discussion, but you are welcome to call my intelligence into question if it makes ya feel better.

- Cricket
    (Slippy smiles and quietly mumbles to himself that he calls Cricket's intelligence into question for putting up with us knuckleheads...)
    Sasquatch, Marica, SGG and 2 others like this.

apparently my humor has gone to the UK and become dry.......sorry cricket. I shall endeavor to Brexit my humor and be more...or less.....like I used to....be....er....
    yeah (kicks toe into the dirt) fine....I'll leave....(thought this place was stupid anyway...and everybody was stupid heads....damn it was a joke.....fricking northerners.....ever since the war.....)
    Prepared One, Slippy and 0rocky like this.

- Cricket
    Your intellect is just fine.
    I am reading The 9/11 Commission Report, and I am about 1/4 of the way through it. It is very well written and it is worth reading. [Sep 23 2019]

To the OP,

No. I don't trust ANY media source at face value because all of them are biased in some way. Almost 100% of the news on the major channels is barely 10% truth. But I can and do trust reported headlines as an event happening in which I need to research for myself.
    San likes this.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war. - Plato

Fate whispers to the warrior, You cannot withstand the storm. The warrior replies, I am the storm.

San

No.

Have you ever called out a new source for not reporting the full story?
    That would be such a waste of time. Why would anyone bother?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links