Do you have the survival skills to build an emergency shelter?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Do you have the survival skills to build an emergency shelter? within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; What if, for whatever reason, you had to build an emergency shelter in the woods, would you have the survival skills to do so? What ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Do you have the survival skills to build an emergency shelter?

Administrator

What if, for whatever reason, you had to build an emergency shelter in the woods, would you have the survival skills to do so?

What if it was a scenario where you were just out for a day hike (so you have very few if any supplies or tools with you) and you got lost or injured and have no cell service? What could you put together?
    Renec likes this.
    “And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    The above pictured in my day we called them deer blinds. Use dead-fall and line the sides and roof with green pine branches. They shed water fairly well.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

Super Moderator

Absolutely! Have built many a shelter since I was a kid. Everyone should build at least one shelter in their lifetime. If you haven't built one put it on your bucket list.
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Absolutely! Have built many a shelter since I was a kid. Everyone should build at least one shelter in their lifetime. If you haven't built one put it on your bucket list.
    I have not. I need to practice this skill.
    dwight55 likes this.
    “And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

Banned

far more importantly, do you have the brains to not be out in the woods without proper clothing and gear? Many places lack the needed materials. you can lack the time, or be too sick or hurt to be doing anything but crawl into your bivvy and sleeping bag.
    K7JLJ likes this.

Best idea is to use a natural shelter, or most of one, like hawg mentioned.
    Surviving in the woods is about calorie management and staying put until you *know* where to find safety, or safety finds you.
    Use existing structure where possible. Don't go full "Primitive Technology", and construct an adobe hut with a pool on the roof.
    Block the wind, divert the rain, trap your heat. Conserve all the energy you can for that first day/night. You might need all of it the next day.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Banned

in the first place, why are you out there without proper clothing and shelter/sleep gear? Secondly, what's so hard about carrying a couple more lbs of sleeping bag and bivvy? You're lugging around 20-100 lbs of fat, so why can't you carry a few lbs of proper clothing and shelter/sleep gear? Why risk not having such, hmm? So you can cost the taxpayer 100k+ coming to rescue your sorry butt? The most likely true "emergency" scenario, is you get sick or hurt, and then you can't build a shelter, might well not even be able to gather wood for a fire. Crawl into your bivvy and bag, and you'll be ok, assuming that you also have the proper clothing to be out there. If you can't gather enough dry debris to pad/insulate you from the ground, then sometimes it's best to shed a bit of your clothing and put it under you (inside of your bag). Carrying another lb of gillnet hammock can make a world of difference, too. it can be suspended from one tree, as a sort of reclining chair, if you can't find or can't get to, 2 trees with the right spacing.

Made those when I was a kid, called them forts. Now I've built houses and pole barns so making a temp shelter wouldn't be a big deal.

No, I do not have all the skills. I worked one summer at The Master Lock Company in their carpenter shop, and the guys had to teach me how to swing a hammer all day. I was assigned to build skids, as they are hard to screw up. My right hand was deep red and I had many blisters working that first shift.

I can use a drill press, use a circular saw, most hand tools. I just read a story in a survival magazine about a guy who built his own log cabin with hand tools. I cannot do that. Then again, that's why I'm here.
    AquaHull likes this.

My favorite growing up was a simple lean to shelter. Build the frame and put pine all over it, there you go.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished. Proverbs 22:3 NKJV

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links