So...What Will Folks Do For Money In Case of Disaster? Barter, Bitcoin, Bank or?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

So...What Will Folks Do For Money In Case of Disaster? Barter, Bitcoin, Bank or?

This is a discussion on So...What Will Folks Do For Money In Case of Disaster? Barter, Bitcoin, Bank or? within the Economic, Precious Metals, Investing, Finance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I had a boss who moved his family to a lovely piece of land in Central Oregon with its own water source. They also set ...

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: So...What Will Folks Do For Money In Case of Disaster? Barter, Bitcoin, Bank or?

I had a boss who moved his family to a lovely piece of land in Central Oregon with its own water source. They also set themselves up with cows, chickens, orchards and an organic garden. Basically, if all of our systems were to suddenly come to a screeching halt (no water, power, store shelves stocked with food, etc.), his family wouldn't even know it for quite some time.

He encouraged me to invest in real gold bars. Besides being out of my price range, an ounce of gold being worth about $1300ish would be a tough unit to exchange for say, a loaf of bread. However, my biggest concern was that if it came down to it and our currency was no longer accepted, how would you break off a piece of that bar of gold to make a payment? My understanding is that real money needs to be:

1. A Medium of Exchange
    2. A Unit of Account
    3. Portable
    4. Durable
    5. Divisible
    6. Fungible (Interchangeable)
    7. A Store of Value

So, for those who have thought that far ahead, what do you see being the common, viable way of getting the things you need, should such a situation arise, in the absence of paper money?
    shotlady likes this.

There are different sizes of gold - rounds, coins, ingots and bars - the same is true for silver but barter will be the safest way to exchange goods.

If I need something and you need something else all we need is someone who has what we need and needs what we have. I have a set of skills and I have batteries, fire makers that anyone can use, alcohol, coffee, cigarettes (tobacco and papers), toilet paper,Feminine hygiene products and the list goes on.

Let's say I need some stainless steel... hat do you need?

There is likely to be people who act as middle men in these trades and they will get something for their involvement. if you are in a group it is likely that you will have more to trade than someone going it alone. Maybe a guy shows up with fresh fish - what would you trade for that?

Paul has it spot on

water can be more valuable than gold once it goes to shit, barter will be key, gold and silver coins are a good idea, even bic lighters will have a massive jump in value

if your looking to trade (and your set up enough in other areas) basic tools, equipment, ammo are up there, and look at this post

https://www.prepperforums.net/forum/g...html#post94633
    shotlady and Suepreme like this.
    They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
    We will remember them

Lest we forget

Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

While I've given thought to the idea of bartering with my ammo, would I really want to give someone the tools to kill me or rob me?
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Banned

Honestly I think Gold and silver etc...are useless for the first few years of a real SHTF scenario...These are metals with only intrinsic value because they are precious and rare. You can't eat them. so only at a point in time that things stabilize to the point that folks think beyond the decade of now will they be worthwhile. A bullet is meat...or security. trade is where it's at. Only when The lines of trade to the east opened up did Gold become the hunted item. Before then it was animal meat and skin. Me...I will take an ounce of lead and powder over an ounce of gold. I may be forever poor...but I will not hunger.
    shotlady, Kauboy, Suepreme and 3 others like this.

paraquack has made a very astute observation. I have planned to barter sundries. but my biggest plan was ammo. so far I have a brick of 22 and a sack of 9mm reloads. I should try harder

Super Moderator

Silver and gold has been used as money for centuries. Silver for domestic trade, gold for international trade.

That being said, anything that will will keep for years or will have a large demand will work.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

I believe Paul was right in his post. I think barter will be the mode of commerce, especially immediately following the SHTF event. I believe that gold, silver and money (paper or coinage) will be on down on the list of trade items, and food, water and ammo near the top...JM2C

Gold and silver will be worth a lot but not a first. People that weren't ready for SHTF will need basic survival stuff water,
    food, And shelter. I hope to open a trading post and even at first I will accept silver or gold.
    Will 1 can of food be worth a ounce of silver? I think yes.
    Michael_Js likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by budgetprepp-n View Post
    Gold and silver will be worth a lot but not a first. People that weren't ready for SHTF will need basic survival stuff water,
    food, And shelter. I hope to open a trading post and even at first I will accept silver or gold.
    Will 1 can of food be worth a ounce of silver? I think yes.
    I think not, too high a price = fuck this I will kill you for it.....

base it on supply and demand, low supply = high price... simple, but seen ripping people off and you will be in the same situation as john and his castle (on paper anyway)
    They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
    We will remember them

Lest we forget

Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links