So...What Will Folks Do For Money In Case of Disaster? Barter, Bitcoin, Bank or? - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

So...What Will Folks Do For Money In Case of Disaster? Barter, Bitcoin, Bank or?

This is a discussion on So...What Will Folks Do For Money In Case of Disaster? Barter, Bitcoin, Bank or? within the Economic, Precious Metals, Investing, Finance forums, part of the General Discussion category; One word: Diversify. A little of some, Lots of the other, And skillz....

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: So...What Will Folks Do For Money In Case of Disaster? Barter, Bitcoin, Bank or?

One word: Diversify.

A little of some, Lots of the other, And skillz.

Quote Originally Posted by Old SF Guy View Post
    Honestly I think Gold and silver etc...are useless for the first few years of a real SHTF scenario...These are metals with only intrinsic value because they are precious and rare. You can't eat them. so only at a point in time that things stabilize to the point that folks think beyond the decade of now will they be worthwhile. A bullet is meat...or security. trade is where it's at. Only when The lines of trade to the east opened up did Gold become the hunted item. Before then it was animal meat and skin. Me...I will take an ounce of lead and powder over an ounce of gold. I may be forever poor...but I will not hunger.
    I agree. Lots of prepping articles and videos put a very high value on metals. Long term, sure. But I think we all should worry about getting through the first few years alive.
    On a side note, I do believe in investing in physical gold and silver to be wise long term, but that is looking at the scenario where there is no SHFT event.

Quote Originally Posted by Kauboy View Post
    Coffee, alcohol, .22 rounds, cigarettes, clean water...
    Things with intrinsic value, or are considered luxury items.
    I'm convinced that gold and silver are intended to hold value over long periods of time, to be traded in for usable currency at a later date.
    They have no intrinsic value, as SF said, but they hold value for a LOOONG time due to their durability and rarity.
    Therefore, they are an excellent investment vehicle to me, but not a great tradeable currency. (especially at the current market value)
    I can't imagine trading goods for "flakes" of gold.
    It may seem funny that this guy posted coffee first, but I read many stories of people in countries that fell into war that shows coffee addicts always need their coffee. It is a drug. People get addicted. I am addicted. God knows what I would give for some coffee if I ran out lol. Kinda sad.

instant coffee! taste like crap now, but will be gold if SHTF

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

DO you drink coffee? if so go a week without it and then tell me how you feel. I know my PSG was a mess if he ever had to go 3 days without the stuff.

I gave up on coffee - apparently I was not addicted. I drink 4 - 5 liters of water a day but I do have a glass of juice with breakfast and milk - not as much milk as I like but I do have some.
    I don't have any addictions... that I'm aware of. No meds, alcohol only occasionally, half a pack of cigarettes most days, maybe if "intimate relations" can be an addiction but it is always with my wife so I don't think that can be considered an addiction - its just living life to the fullest. (oops - I am making excuses for it - maybe it is an addiction!)

I'm thinking, "how much for the women"! Just joking guys! Would not doubt that type of barter would not happen.
    budgetprepp-n likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 1skrewsloose View Post
    I'm thinking, "how much for the women"! Just joking guys! Would not doubt that type of barter would not happen.
    That is cold reality we don't talk about much. When the gangs of marauders start looting and stealing in the city's
    that's going to happen. But I don't think those guys will last to long. To may good people will be picking them off.
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Male and female slaves are possible

One of my goals is to have 100 pounds of coffee and 50 lb tobacco.
    And plenty of baby food jars to put them in when I am trading.
    slewfoot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by budgetprepp-n View Post
    Very smart idea.
    You build on failure, you use it as a stepping stone.
    Johnny Cash.

Quote Originally Posted by budgetprepp-n View Post
    Even better if you have the beans and a hand grinder.
    slewfoot and 7052 like this.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
    Samuel Adams

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links