So...What Will Folks Do For Money In Case of Disaster? Barter, Bitcoin, Bank or? - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

So...What Will Folks Do For Money In Case of Disaster? Barter, Bitcoin, Bank or?

This is a discussion on So...What Will Folks Do For Money In Case of Disaster? Barter, Bitcoin, Bank or? within the Economic, Precious Metals, Investing, Finance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Pre 64 silver (junk) coins will be important to have,( More so than gold.), for barter. Water, food, medicines, clothes, sanitary items, as well as ...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: So...What Will Folks Do For Money In Case of Disaster? Barter, Bitcoin, Bank or?

Pre 64 silver (junk) coins will be important to have,( More so than gold.), for barter.
    Water, food, medicines, clothes, sanitary items, as well as luxury things like alcohol, will be much sought after.

tango brings up a nice point. I haven't thought about prepping clothes for myself or to barter.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by budgetprepp-n View Post
    Gold and silver will be worth a lot but not a first. People that weren't ready for SHTF will need basic survival stuff water,
    food, And shelter. I hope to open a trading post and even at first I will accept silver or gold.
    Will 1 can of food be worth a ounce of silver? I think yes.
    People who aren't ready for SHTF will have little if anything for barter.

I'm thinking more along the lines of the many lunatics like us who are aware of the seriousness of the world's situation. Around here, there are a whole lot of people who are putting things back, buying silver (I know of only one who is buying gold) and are learning new skills that will be needed.

Honestly, I do not know what to do with the people who refuse to pay attention.
    Michael_Js likes this.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Coffee, alcohol, .22 rounds, cigarettes, clean water...
    Things with intrinsic value, or are considered luxury items.
    I'm convinced that gold and silver are intended to hold value over long periods of time, to be traded in for usable currency at a later date.
    They have no intrinsic value, as SF said, but they hold value for a LOOONG time due to their durability and rarity.
    Therefore, they are an excellent investment vehicle to me, but not a great tradeable currency. (especially at the current market value)
    I can't imagine trading goods for "flakes" of gold.

I'm new at this but I don't think gold or silver will be useful in the beginning and probably not for a while after. Useful barter items will be anything that can feed you or keep you safe. If I'm trading with some one I don't want gold, I want something thats useful now not years down the road. Teaching a skill to someone could be a good bartering tool also.
    1skrewsloose likes this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kauboy View Post
    Coffee, alcohol, .22 rounds, cigarettes, clean water...
    Things with intrinsic value, or are considered luxury items.
    I'm convinced that gold and silver are intended to hold value over long periods of time, to be traded in for usable currency at a later date.
    They have no intrinsic value, as SF said, but they hold value for a LOOONG time due to their durability and rarity.
    Therefore, they are an excellent investment vehicle to me, but not a great tradeable currency. (especially at the current market value)
    I can't imagine trading goods for "flakes" of gold.
    OK, now, you just found something that will be good for getting some stuff from me.
    SquirrelBait likes this.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Quote Originally Posted by paraquack View Post
    While I've given thought to the idea of bartering with my ammo, would I really want to give someone the tools to kill me or rob me?
    Very thought provoking insight. Thank you.

No gold or silver for me , I'm with Paul and some of the others, stock up on barter items that you can trades with. If you came to me with gold or silver wanting some thing that I have it would be no deal. You can't eat metal.
    Also I will not trade away my ammo just so some nut can shoot me with it
    You build on failure, you use it as a stepping stone.
    Johnny Cash.

Quote Originally Posted by pheniox17 View Post
    I think not, too high a price = fuck this I will kill you for it.....
    Is their a reason you and a few others on here cannot type a sentence without using this type of language?
    This is a family oriented website, you want your wife and kids to see this kind of Garbage you spout out? If you Don't care and are one of them that talks like this around them and in public then it says something about you.
    You build on failure, you use it as a stepping stone.
    Johnny Cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    OK, now, you just found something that will be good for getting some stuff from me.
    If portioned out, it is cheap, easy to store, and a luxury some would kill for.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links