"Hedge"
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

"Hedge"

This is a discussion on "Hedge" within the Economic, Precious Metals, Investing, Finance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Prepping is all about hedging against losses that we might sustain during a SHTF. We each work toward that as we acquire guns, food, water ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: "Hedge"

"Hedge"

Prepping is all about hedging against losses that we might sustain during a SHTF. We each work toward that as we acquire guns, food, water and replenishment when consumed. But when it comes to investing most do not hedge. It seems an all or nothing mind set.

So my question is this. Regardless of what kind of financial security investments, what ratio would you use per $10,000 of conventuals security net worth?

Example: if you have $10,000 in savings you might say $100 in silver at spot. That would be a 100:1 ratio.

Now I know some of you are all into PM. Pease do not turn this into why you are "all in" that mule has been beat to death.

Super Moderator

Kind of silly to ask a question and then tell someone they are not allowed to use a particular ratio, dontcha think?
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Super Moderator

To answer the question, 30% paper is in PSLV.
    Dr. Gregory House

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    Kind of silly to ask a question and then tell someone they are not allowed to use a particular ratio, dontcha think?
    No, I know there are plenty of people that only save PMs. That puts investing and saving at 0:100 percent. That is not nearly the priority they place on other forms of prepping.
    Denton likes this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by PalmettoTree View Post
    No, I know there are plenty of people that only save PMs. That puts investing and saving at 0:100 percent. That is not nearly the priority they place on other forms of prepping.
    True that.
    Dr. Gregory House

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    To answer the question, 30% paper is in PSLV.
    Out of curiosity, why do you favor PSLV over SLV?
    Denton likes this.

I don't know what you mean by PSLV or SLV, but my ratio is around 250 to 1. I wish it was lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Go2ndAmend View Post
    I don't know what you mean by PSLV or SLV, but my ratio is around 250 to 1. I wish it was lower.
    Ticker symbols for exchange traded silver. If you are just playing the moves in the price of silver it is much cheaper to trade "paper" silver than the physical metal. Obviously for prepping, the physical metal is the way to go. But some of us buy and sell securities just as a hobby for fun.

I keep 250 shares in SLV in my portfolio as a reference. My silver is in my coin collection. I do not watch the spot prices as a routine. SLV keeps that number in front of me. I do most of my trading 12/31 or 1/2 when I do my annual balance. During down turns like a week or so ago i's shoot the dogs that cannot keep up and trade up on yield. No need to research since that was done during rebalance.

The point of hedge funds is to prevent losses but also limit gains. That mostly seems counter productive the way the big boys hedge.

When we prep we do not neglect our day job lives to prep. We hedge that that life will not always be there. It seems from a prepping perspective we should hedge our net worth in the same way. I'm having trouble putting a number on that.

I have had a financial advisor for many years that takes care of our retirement money. But, being a computer dork and statistics dork, I play with some stocks, ETFs, and options just for fun. I never have enough money in my "play" trading accounts to do any damage to our long-term plans even if I lose it all. But, over the last 15 or so years I have been doing it, I have made some pretty decent returns on my plays as well as lost my ass on others. But overall, I have been able to take money out of my "play" account and move it into my "real" account. So, I am up overall and have had a hell of a good time doing it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links