Staying away from Precious Metals for SHTF - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Staying away from Precious Metals for SHTF

This is a discussion on Staying away from Precious Metals for SHTF within the Economic, Precious Metals, Investing, Finance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Originally Posted by ND_ponyexpress_ you can't eat guns or bullets either.... forget stocking up on those... "People are shooting each other in the streets over ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Staying away from Precious Metals for SHTF

Quote Originally Posted by ND_ponyexpress_ View Post
    you can't eat guns or bullets either.... forget stocking up on those... "People are shooting each other in the streets over food — not ammo, cigarettes, liquor, gold coins, silver coins, or any of the other crap that preppers love to stockpile “for barter when TSHTF”".. this makes sense.. except for the part that the people who are shooting obviously didn't heed the warning to not stock up on worthless ammo.....
    Well shows what you know...my bullets can get me food, take other peoples precious metal and defend me from the horde....however I deem necessary....bullets kill animals....four and two legged....you can eat the four legged variety.....and some of the two legged ones too.

but man should not prep to live on bullets alone...that's why I have a fishing pole too. But the point was...precious metals are only valuable as long as they are considered "Precious"...so prep accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Seneca View Post
    We've discussed the PM issues on these boards and I believe the consensus was that PM's would not be very useful during an economic melt down, but afterwards once the SHTF settles down and some sort of economy emerges PM would be useful.
    In the middle of the crisis, no one will be very interested in you PM. It's food, water, protection- agreed. But I do also agree that after the initial chaos and panic settle down, there will still be a direction towards some sort of civilized society and that includes some type of economy. PM are one source for currency during those times. A small focus on this would be beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by New guy 101 View Post
    Well shows what you know...my bullets can get me food, take other peoples precious metal and defend me from the horde....however I deem necessary....bullets kill animals....four and two legged....you can eat the four legged variety.....and some of the two legged ones too.

but man should not prep to live on bullets alone...that's why I have a fishing pole too. But the point was...precious metals are only valuable as long as they are considered "Precious"...so prep accordingly.

wow... I give up.. you obviously didn't a)read the article b)read my full quote, or c) comprehend either.. the article said to not stock up on anything you can't eat... I was pointing out the hypocrisy in the article by them ignoring the fact that bad guys stocked ammo too......
    Operator6, stowlin and stevekozak like this.
    -IN OMNIA PARATUS

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

the only metals id be interested in stocking up on.is copper and lead.on account they can be made into bullets..as far as the other metals go.id only stock up on them,if i could afford them,even then.id limit to how much id get of each one.and the reason of that,is like others have said.food,water,guns n ammo,first aid supplies,and other items is what will keep me alive.and i wont trade any of those items for a metal that i have no need for.

Didn't the reports from Bosnia during their SHTF period note a lot of value in pm? Also the blog about the 1999 collapse in Argentina suggested there was some value. As I recall people in Greece during recent events often bartered in metals. It always seems that those with out metals dismiss their value and those with them have belief in them. To each is own.

I would say this. I was really put back by the attitude of having bullets to take from other people by force what is not yours. I hope such scum run into a head shot as that's the only bullet they deserve.
    Denton and stevekozak like this.

I have always been told that whenever you are in doubt do half. The idea of storing copper and lead makes sense, but so does storing silver and gold. Half of each would put you in a strong position regardless. I understand that you feel that silver and gold are not the best metals to store and food, guns, ammo will undoubtedly be the best items to barter with. But silver and gold are still strong commodities available in limited quantities - they will carry a lot of value in all scenarios. Trust me, the people who aren't prepared and need to "purchase" food,water,weapons, etc. will be willing to pay whatever it takes to obtain them and by letting some of your items go at extreme prices puts you in a great position of wealth once the world gets back on its feet again.

The law of doing half - has always worked for me.
    stowlin and jimLE like this.

Some seem to think shtf will be short term.
    Maybe, maybe not.
    The great depression lasted 10 tears.
    Denton likes this.

Take a left by where that oak tree used to be
    Quote Originally Posted by stowlin View Post
    Didn't the reports from Bosnia during their SHTF period note a lot of value in pm? Also the blog about the 1999 collapse in Argentina suggested there was some value. As I recall people in Greece during recent events often bartered in metals. It always seems that those with out metals dismiss their value and those with them have belief in them. To each is own.

I would say this. I was really put back by the attitude of having bullets to take from other people by force what is not yours. I hope such scum run into a head shot as that's the only bullet they deserve.
    I do have some PM, I just don't make it a priority, food water medical supplies personal protection and a place out of the elements is more important.
    A Watchman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ND_ponyexpress_ View Post
    wow... I give up.. you obviously didn't a)read the article b)read my full quote, or c) comprehend either.. the article said to not stock up on anything you can't eat... I was pointing out the hypocrisy in the article by them ignoring the fact that bad guys stocked ammo too......
    Nope read it...and just trying to be humorous as usual...thicken that skin up buddy...didn't you catch the humor...damn words don't come out as good in monotone type...
    Last edited by New guy 101; 06-15-2016 at 04:21 PM.
    Operator6 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stowlin View Post

Simply stating the opportunities...good and bad in having bullets...not advocating the bad....its a fact...a bad person with bullets can take your food and precious metal at will unless you have bullets too....you can see it and take it however you choose to.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links