How much cash do you have on hand? You will need it!
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on How much cash do you have on hand? You will need it! within the Economic, Precious Metals, Investing, Finance forums, part of the General Discussion category; As part of our preps, we have elected to have a fairly large amount of cash in our home safe. The reason is simple. If ...

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: How much cash do you have on hand? You will need it!

As part of our preps, we have elected to have a fairly large amount of cash in our home safe. The reason is simple.

If the grid goes down, or we are subject to an EMP, or massive CME, the ATM's won't work, the banks will be closed, and cash registers won't work.

Stores will immediately demand cash vs checks and credit cards, and nothing else. They will CONTINUE to accept cash for as long as the store owners believe that the power outage is only temporary. After than, all bets are off.

That gives those who have prepared, and have an ample stash of cash an opportunity to be able finalize buying the last few items that may be available for some time to come. Most people don't have more than a couple of hundred dollars at most in cash at home. They will not be able to buy much with that, and there is also the potential for greedy store owners to price gouge, further reducing buying power.

Having a large stash of cash may provide the opportunity to fill in those missing items, and add to their existing stockpiles for the last time. There is no guarantee that gold and silver will be accepted in the near term.

Realizing that many cannot afford to keep much cash at home, as a prepper, it is imperative that all attempts to squirrel away as much as can be possibly afforded may be critical when the SHTF. It needs to be spent in its entirety as quickly as possible after the grid goes down for any other reason than a thunderstorm, tornado, earthquake or hurricane. Virtually any other cause is going to be catastrophically long term.

My wife and I have already mapped out the stores we will immediately go to and fill our SUV with supplies in the event that any of the potentially long-term situations occurs. That is an important part of the prep as well.
    The mapping should be from FAR to NEAR...meaning you go as far out as you are willing and work your way back to your home or bugout location, stopping at the stores you have identified as having the items you will likely need.

For us, that means starting at Home Depot and Lowes, followed by our local gun store, Walmart, Dollar Stores, and Publix...with a few smaller in between. The plan is to arrive home without a dollar in cash to our name.

Good luck with YOUR plans.
    This is the last US Presidential Election. Take notes and pictures for the great-grandkids.
    Hidden Content

Super Moderator

I have no cash in my house!!!
    Michael_Js, hawgrider and SGG like this.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Slippy Hidden Content
    (Slippy is happy that Mish is the daughter he is glad he never had)
    "Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." Tyler Durden
    #mishyloveshersometequila

Quote Originally Posted by Mish View Post
    Yeah, but you probably have 15 years of supplies...and what you don't have, you can get stealthily with your "ninja" suit on!
    This is the last US Presidential Election. Take notes and pictures for the great-grandkids.
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mish View Post
    Me either!

And I don't have any food, guns, ammunition, tools, batteries, lights, fuel,...............

Super Moderator

If I had a stash of money at my house, I wouldn't talk about it in a forum.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Slippy Hidden Content
    (Slippy is happy that Mish is the daughter he is glad he never had)
    "Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." Tyler Durden
    #mishyloveshersometequila

No worries...as I said, it will be GONE immediately after SHTF!

Robbers, please take note of the signs on and around my house. The most important one is "There is nothing in this house worth dying for"!
    Hidden Content

east of 15, west of 95, north of 10, south of canada
    A few weeks ago I would have argued with you and said..you should have supplies now and no cash....

However, I would now say that having some cash (as much as you can afford to have) handy for last minute items would be smart.... remember however that some place STOP accepting sales if their computers are down. smaller mom and pop places would be better
    Mule13 and prepperman like this.
    Partner at the law firm of Dewey Cheatham & Howe
    Board member for Screwem, Goode, and hart

I am going to buck the trend and lay out my cash reserves................................... I have $46.23.

Go ahead bad guys, come and get it !

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy's-Attorney View Post
    A few weeks ago I would have argued with you and said..you should have supplies now and no cash....

However, I would now say that having some cash (as much as you can afford to have) handy for last minute items would be smart.... remember however that some place STOP accepting sales if their computers are down. smaller mom and pop places would be better
    Agreed, but it can be amazing what showing a few small pictures of Benjamin Franklin can do to open doors....

That being said, there are a number of those "mom and pops" on our map as backups...as well as convenience stores owned by Indians and Pakistanis. Cash talks with them!
    Hidden Content

I keep cash on hand in my safe for various emergencies. Not a lot, not a little. I have always liked the idea of having cash on hand, even as a kid. You never know when you will need it.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links