Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Somebody set me straight regarding silver

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Ripon 
#1 ·
New prepper here. Getting items for my families BOB. Seems a lot of people recommend hoarding silver. I'm an avid coin collector, so I have a lot of highly collectible silver coins, but I'm really not wanting to part with them due to sentimental reasons. My question is, why barter with them? If I was in need, id much rather have pain meds or some MRE's, over coins.

#2 ·
how i understand ....i think the idea is when SHTF - Silver GOld and jewels or what have you will be the new economic system just due to its rarity. So for the people who make or grow aloe as a medical supply have something to have for the goods they produce and in turn maybe need purified water to drink that another man does well .. just another way of trade .. i agree goods for goods but people will always want something nice so in turn silver and gold are needed to contain some structure.

#3 ·
It's good to have both options. If you can barter your way, cool. But what if that person has something you need but you don't have what they need? Trading silver is just another way to barter. Currencies can come and go but precious metals have always been there and will most likely will be in the future too.

#5 ·
The thing with silver coins are they are EASILY recognizable and already have a value, or composition, assigned to each one. So like a dollar face value of 90% silver dimes is the same silver content as a dollar in 90% quarters, and 90% halves, this makes them easy to trade and get change for.

Reactions: oswegoscott
#7 ·
There will always be some type of recovery. When that happens silver and gold will have a price in whatever the coin of the realm is. Debt will still be collected on monies owed in the past. If I owe 10,000 FRN's to someone I may be able to get that with one ounce of silver depending on how badly it devalues. You have to remember every crisis ends, planing to recover is important to.

#8 ·
Well let's say you decide to can a bunch of Alaska Salmon and cruise south to the nice people of Seattle and trade your extra salmon for some badly wanted beef. However the beef guy says he wants $1.00 in US pre 64 silver for a pound of beef. Nothing else because he needs the silver to buy feed stock for his next cattle heard. You are going to have to sell your salmon for some coin unless you bring some along.

#9 ·
You have to remember that silver or gold (or anything else) is only "worth" what someone will give you for it.

#11 ·
There is less silver than you think, and more of it is disappearing into the landfills because it is used in industry as well as wealth storage.

Regardless, here is the historical understanding of silver and gold.

Silver is historically used for domestic commerce while gold is used for international commerce.

Unlike anything else, silver and gold are means by which you may store your wealth. The same cannot be said of currencies or any other perishable items.

#12 ·
SHTF gold silver will just be what will get you killed. It will be worthless until some order is restored in the form of law.
Anyone with steel, brass and copper will take both the gold and the silver. Just the law of the jungle and you will be held to the law.
Invest it what will keep you alive.

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.