Somebody set me straight regarding silver
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Somebody set me straight regarding silver within the Economic, Precious Metals, Investing, Finance forums, part of the General Discussion category; New prepper here. Getting items for my families BOB. Seems a lot of people recommend hoarding silver. I'm an avid coin collector, so I have ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Somebody set me straight regarding silver

New prepper here. Getting items for my families BOB. Seems a lot of people recommend hoarding silver. I'm an avid coin collector, so I have a lot of highly collectible silver coins, but I'm really not wanting to part with them due to sentimental reasons. My question is, why barter with them? If I was in need, id much rather have pain meds or some MRE's, over coins.

Jae

how i understand ....i think the idea is when SHTF - Silver GOld and jewels or what have you will be the new economic system just due to its rarity. So for the people who make or grow aloe as a medical supply have something to have for the goods they produce and in turn maybe need purified water to drink that another man does well .. just another way of trade .. i agree goods for goods but people will always want something nice so in turn silver and gold are needed to contain some structure.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanFamily View Post
    New prepper here. Getting items for my families BOB. Seems a lot of people recommend hoarding silver. I'm an avid coin collector, so I have a lot of highly collectible silver coins, but I'm really not wanting to part with them due to sentimental reasons. My question is, why barter with them? If I was in need, id much rather have pain meds or some MRE's, over coins.
    It's good to have both options. If you can barter your way, cool. But what if that person has something you need but you don't have what they need? Trading silver is just another way to barter. Currencies can come and go but precious metals have always been there and will most likely will be in the future too.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

When the time comes it won't be an items collectible value counts, it will be weight in troy ounces that matter for bartering. Just my opinion.

The thing with silver coins are they are EASILY recognizable and already have a value, or composition, assigned to each one. So like a dollar face value of 90% silver dimes is the same silver content as a dollar in 90% quarters, and 90% halves, this makes them easy to trade and get change for.
    oswegoscott likes this.
    Any reason is the perfect reason to prepare.

I has a youtube! Check me out!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/acidlittle

Remember the Hunt brothers and silver?
    Silver is not Gold there is just way to much of it in this world.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

There will always be some type of recovery. When that happens silver and gold will have a price in whatever the coin of the realm is. Debt will still be collected on monies owed in the past. If I owe 10,000 FRN's to someone I may be able to get that with one ounce of silver depending on how badly it devalues. You have to remember every crisis ends, planing to recover is important to.
    inceptor likes this.

Well let's say you decide to can a bunch of Alaska Salmon and cruise south to the nice people of Seattle and trade your extra salmon for some badly wanted beef. However the beef guy says he wants $1.00 in US pre 64 silver for a pound of beef. Nothing else because he needs the silver to buy feed stock for his next cattle heard. You are going to have to sell your salmon for some coin unless you bring some along.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanFamily View Post

The Good Cop

You have to remember that silver or gold (or anything else) is only "worth" what someone will give you for it.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

The economy is a mystery to me, but in a serious SHTF situation will gold, silver and money be worth anything?
    We can't eat it can we?

ibewbull likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links