Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

How Low Will Silver Go?

40K views 333 replies 44 participants last post by  The Tourist 
#1 ·
Silver has been below most investors buying point of $14.40 for several days. I just checked and it is at $14.10. The mints were out and backordered in late September, and now seem to be well stocked. I occasionally buy, any of you real precious metal hoarders have any other idea as to the maintained current low streak?

https://comparesilverprices.com/

#2 ·
I just bought my first silver last month. I need an education on this topic big time. I paid a little extra for something specific I was looking for on the first go round, but now I need quantity especially now that prices are low...suggestions!!! Please and thanks.

#3 ·
Its funny that the price is, where i first purchased my first serious silver and that was about 2009? I didn't really pay attention but I think when I first started investing was about that time.

The funny-ish thing I have noticed is when I first started buying silver I decided to get "junk" silver which are basically coins minted in USA having the date 1964 or lower, those are the 90% silver coins. (P.S Nickles and penney's dont count except in rare situations)

So in 2009 I was buying "junk" silver (which includes 120 year old Morgan silver dollars) for the melt value.

See Current Melt Value Of Coins - How Much Is Your Coin Worth? for current melt valuest

Although silver prices have been very flat, the prices of "junk" coins has continued to increase as the supply has dried up.

So now my 1890 Morgan that I purchased for melt value for $11 dollars a few years ago is now bidding in the $28 range. This is a nothing special coin except for its age and the fact that people are not selling them.

My Eagles are not nearly as much but this is a waiting game, eventually when the fiat currency fails I will be golden (in silver, sic)

#4 ·
I've been involved in silver and gold buying for many years. I have been a "silver guy" for many years now, and silver is the only precious metal that I buy.

My advice is to not sweat the small decreases, or the small increases. I have stated this before in this forum, and I will state it again.............silver will NEVER go below $10.00 per ounce.

If you are buying silver as a hedge against the collapse of fiat currency, GOOD FOR YOU! If you are buying silver as a SHTF legitimate "currency", GOOD FOR YOU AGAIN!

Here are some simple rules to follow, when buying silver:

1. Do NOT buy Morgan Silver Dollars, Peace Silver Dollars, or any other "collector" coins. The premiums above melt value are ridiculous. Also, contrary to popular belief, Morgan and Peace Silver Dollars do NOT contain one ounce of silver each. They each contain 0.77 ounces of silver.

2. Do NOT buy silver bars, or silver rounds, or silver ANYTHING from private mints. In a SHTF world, you have no way of proving that the privately minted silver is really silver.

3. The best buy is, and has always been, the so-called "junk silver", U.S. minted pre-1965 half dollars, quarters, and dimes. You will are probably going to pay up to a 20-30% premium over spot price, due to the demand being very high right now, but you will still get the most bang for your buck with "junk silver". My favorite "junk silver" coin is the Franklin Half Dollar. ALL Franklin half dollars that were minted, are 90% silver, and they are usually in very good condition, because they were not circulated as often as quarters and dimes.

4. Silver American Eagles are a good investment also, but the premiums above melt value are always very high.

I buy all of my "junk silver" on e-Bay. I don't mess around with coin dealers.

#7 ·
Agreed ^^^^^^^ Buy low, which is now and use it as a hedge against fiat currency (the collapse of the US dollar). Worst case you won't take a hit at $14 ish if all of a sudden the world turns rosy........... On second thought double up on your monthly buying allowance.

#8 ·
Looks like it's time for another purchase. Most of my silver was bought around the 18-20 dollar price. When I encounter pre 64 coins I keep them, but I just don't have it in me to spend the price per ounce ordering dimes and quarters online... Its a mental block. I stick with eagles.

By the way silver is not magnetic, that can help you verify that a private minted round is actually .999 fine silver.

#11 ·
I've been watching the silver market closely over the past couple of weeks and the price of silver keeps dropping. I get psyched up thinking today is the day I'm going to buy silver and then the price drops a bit so I wait and the price drops a bit more so I wait to see if the price will drop some more. I'm nearly to the point of just saying screw it, and buying some damn silver.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.