Gold from Scrap Computer parts - anybody recover it?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Gold from Scrap Computer parts - anybody recover it? within the Economic, Precious Metals, Investing, Finance forums, part of the General Discussion category; For the last few weeks, my co-worker and I have been pulling boards form scrap modems and radios. We tried the vinegar salt and peroxide ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Maine-Marine
  • 3 Post By Mad Trapper
  • 3 Post By Robie

Thread: Gold from Scrap Computer parts - anybody recover it?

For the last few weeks, my co-worker and I have been pulling boards form scrap modems and radios. We tried the vinegar salt and peroxide method to recover some gold - it did free up some of the gold fingers but overall not that great

I cut off some of the gold ends.

now we have a box of scrap, a bucket with some scrap, and some cut off gold fingers, a bunch of connectors

Does anybody here recover gold from computer parts?

Would love to make a deal with somebody we would be willing to take a low percentage like 25% if somebody could recover the gold. We scrap a bunch of this stuff every year.. of course big question.. is it worth it????

Gold from Scrap Computer parts - anybody recover it?-gold1.png Gold from Scrap Computer parts - anybody recover it?-gold2.png
    Gold from Scrap Computer parts - anybody recover it?-gold3.png Name:  gold4.png
Views: 78
Size:  504.1 KB
    Gold from Scrap Computer parts - anybody recover it?-gold5.png
    Mad Trapper likes this.
    Be a Berean

That's just a thin plating of gold on most parts as it's a good conductor and fairly inert, so is silver. Hard to separate from the other metals and the plastic crap. I'm sure you could work out a process, but it would be complex and involve chemicals that are hazardous. I think nitric acid would dissolve most metals and leave the gold. Nitric acid is nasty stuff........

Looks like some coax connections in the mix, that's probably brass , unless some high end stuff.

Thugs have been stealing catalytic converters from cars/trucks (SOBs use electric sawsalls) for the platinum catalyst scrap.

Edit: Some humorous historical on Nitric acid.......

The following is a passage from Ira Remsen (Prof. of Chemistry and Physics Williams College 1872-76) describing his introduction to chemistry.

While reading a textbook of chemistry, I came upon the statement 'nitric acid acts on copper....'. I was tired of reading such absurd stuff, and I determined to see what this meant…. I was even willing to sacrifice one of the few copper cents in my possession. I put one of them on a table; opened the bottle marked ‘nitric acid’; poured some of the liquid on the copper and prepared to make observation. But what was this wonderful thing I beheld? The cent had already changed, and it was no small change either. A greenish blue liquid foamed and fumed over the cent and over the table. The air in the neighborhood of the performance became colored dark red. A great colored cloud arose. This was disagreeable and suffocating—how should I stop this? I tried to get rid of the objectionable mess by picking it up and throwing it out the window. I learned another fact—nitric acid acts not only on copper but it acts upon fingers. The pain led to another unpremeditated experiment. I drew my hands across my trousers and discovered the nitric acid acts upon trousers……….
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 08-07-2020 at 11:27 AM.
    Slippy, Elvis and SGG like this.

I have an old CPU with bent pins in with all my silver because of the gold plating on the pins in hopes that one day I will be able to remove it. Very interesting idea, but unless you are doing it large scale and are ok with toxic chemicals, I don't think it would be worth it too much for each person.
    I hope you figure out a good solution though! Maybe some science department at a school would like to show their students a cool chemical reaction to earn them money and they would front all the chemicals and do it safely.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I prefer to let our Indian friends reap the rewards....

Name:  file-20190213-181631-9c112q.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  21.1 KB
    “Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech."

Benjamin Franklin

I have a large box of this stuff now...
    Be a Berean

there are some good videos on youtube about this process.
    i looked into it before i got sick, it is involved and uses two different acids if i remember correctly.
    the amount of gold recovered is minute so large amounts of raw material are needed.
    having said that... if a person with access to the raw materials and the ability to follow directions,
    the end results would be gold you did not have before.
    good luck.

i tried to post links but could not... check out youtube
    how to recover gold from computer scrap
    Last edited by Bigfoot63; 01-02-2021 at 11:47 PM.
    if I knew now what I knew then... I'd be a lot happier. think about it

Sponsored Links