Gold from Scrap Computer parts - anybody recover it?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Gold from Scrap Computer parts - anybody recover it? within the Economic, Precious Metals, Investing, Finance forums, part of the General Discussion category; For the last few weeks, my co-worker and I have been pulling boards form scrap modems and radios. We tried the vinegar salt and peroxide ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Maine-Marine
  • 3 Post By Mad Trapper
  • 2 Post By Robie

Thread: Gold from Scrap Computer parts - anybody recover it?

For the last few weeks, my co-worker and I have been pulling boards form scrap modems and radios. We tried the vinegar salt and peroxide method to recover some gold - it did free up some of the gold fingers but overall not that great

I cut off some of the gold ends.

now we have a box of scrap, a bucket with some scrap, and some cut off gold fingers, a bunch of connectors

Does anybody here recover gold from computer parts?

Would love to make a deal with somebody we would be willing to take a low percentage like 25% if somebody could recover the gold. We scrap a bunch of this stuff every year.. of course big question.. is it worth it????

Gold from Scrap Computer parts - anybody recover it?-gold1.png Gold from Scrap Computer parts - anybody recover it?-gold2.png
    Gold from Scrap Computer parts - anybody recover it?-gold3.png Name:  gold4.png
Views: 38
Size:  504.1 KB
    Gold from Scrap Computer parts - anybody recover it?-gold5.png
    Mad Trapper likes this.
    Be a Berean

That's just a thin plating of gold on most parts as it's a good conductor and fairly inert, so is silver. Hard to separate from the other metals and the plastic crap. I'm sure you could work out a process, but it would be complex and involve chemicals that are hazardous. I think nitric acid would dissolve most metals and leave the gold. Nitric acid is nasty stuff........

Looks like some coax connections in the mix, that's probably brass , unless some high end stuff.

Thugs have been stealing catalytic converters from cars/trucks (SOBs use electric sawsalls) for the platinum catalyst scrap.

Edit: Some humorous historical on Nitric acid.......

The following is a passage from Ira Remsen (Prof. of Chemistry and Physics Williams College 1872-76) describing his introduction to chemistry.

While reading a textbook of chemistry, I came upon the statement 'nitric acid acts on copper....'. I was tired of reading such absurd stuff, and I determined to see what this meant…. I was even willing to sacrifice one of the few copper cents in my possession. I put one of them on a table; opened the bottle marked ‘nitric acid’; poured some of the liquid on the copper and prepared to make observation. But what was this wonderful thing I beheld? The cent had already changed, and it was no small change either. A greenish blue liquid foamed and fumed over the cent and over the table. The air in the neighborhood of the performance became colored dark red. A great colored cloud arose. This was disagreeable and suffocating—how should I stop this? I tried to get rid of the objectionable mess by picking it up and throwing it out the window. I learned another fact—nitric acid acts not only on copper but it acts upon fingers. The pain led to another unpremeditated experiment. I drew my hands across my trousers and discovered the nitric acid acts upon trousers……….
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 08-07-2020 at 10:27 AM.
    Slippy, Elvis and SGG like this.

I have an old CPU with bent pins in with all my silver because of the gold plating on the pins in hopes that one day I will be able to remove it. Very interesting idea, but unless you are doing it large scale and are ok with toxic chemicals, I don't think it would be worth it too much for each person.
    I hope you figure out a good solution though! Maybe some science department at a school would like to show their students a cool chemical reaction to earn them money and they would front all the chemicals and do it safely.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I prefer to let our Indian friends reap the rewards....

Name:  file-20190213-181631-9c112q.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  21.1 KB
    Michael_Js and CapitalKane49p like this.
    "Orwell's Animal Farm, and 1984 were supposed to be warnings, not instruction manuals."

“A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself within”

― Will Durant

Sponsored Links