Advice? buying silver for the purpose of barter
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Advice? buying silver for the purpose of barter within the Economic, Precious Metals, Investing, Finance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Just like the title says, I'm thinking of buying silver and putting it away expressly for barter if/when SHTF. I'm thinking nothing but bullion in ...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Advice? buying silver for the purpose of barter

Just like the title says, I'm thinking of buying silver and putting it away expressly for barter if/when SHTF.

I'm thinking nothing but bullion in 1/10, 1/4 & 1/2 coin, but pre-64 coins might make a better idea with the value stamped right on it.

Advice????
    "It is not a toy, It is not a privilege to be stripped away, It is my Second amendment right."

I'm not always here to make you happy, but if that happens its a win-win.

While it might work, I kind a find it hard to believe that any PM will be of use until the SHTF event has settled down and after the country/area has stabilized. The only thing that makes gold and silver handy is the value in a small package. I personally wouldn't want PM unless it was like a pound for one round of ammo. To me, the PM of choice during a SHTF event will copper jacketed lead, a finely honed piece of steel, etc. MHO
    BTW, bullion can be "messed with" by putting something inside it. Also heard about sleazy guys selling an ounce, Avoirdupois of silver instead of troy ounce. Only worth 75%, so a friend who buys sliver and gold takes my reloading powder scale with him to double check what he's getting.
    wesley762 likes this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

If you can get them at a fair price real silver coins would be the way to go. Hard to fake anyone knows what they are. And they can be purchased and sold with out any reporting to anyone. So if S don't HTF you still have options.
    Some of you are to young to remember and went to public schools they once made it against the law to own bunk gold . They could do it again anytime they want.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Stay away from Chinese bullion as they are a lot of fakes out there.

Pre-64 coins are always a favorite by many. Still, there are ways to check and make sure any bullion is real. YouTube has a lot of ways.

I like Silver Eagle and Silver Vienna Philharmonics bullion as they are official coins, and I also prefer NWTM bars such as they Get Out of Dodge bars as they can be cleanly broken into quarter ounces.

I stay clear of the less than ounce bars and rounds as the mark-ups are out of this world.
    paraquack likes this.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Here is my humble opinion

Do not buy 1/10 or 1/2 oz bullion... The markup is killer... how much would 10 1/10 oz coins be??? that is your cost per oz and it will be HIGH

as a matter of fact - avoid plain bullion period

purchase USA or Canadian silver Dimes, Quarters, Halves, or USA, Canada, Aussie, etc Silver Dollars

I think buying silver is a very good idea, it might be awhile after SHTF that they can be used,,,but you will be able to use them...
    bigwheel likes this.

I agree with paraquack. Buy things that will be needed (food, water, ammo, toilet paper, medicine, gasoline, alcohol, etc).
    Those things will be the highest value for barter during and after SHTF.

After things finally normalize, you will have the things that people will want to trade their silver for.
    First came civilization, then trade was well established, PM and coins came last.

If SHTF really hits hard, for many years, even Twinkies will be worth more than silver.
    paraquack likes this.

I do not buy any precious metals,after the shtf it will only be good to make expensive bullets. my belief is this. If someone came to me after the shtf and wanted to barter silver for say coffee, no way Jose silver is now worthless for a long period of time and I can't metal.
    You build on failure, you use it as a stepping stone.
    Johnny Cash.

A J

Quote Originally Posted by jnichols2 View Post

If SHTF really hits hard, for many years, even Twinkies will be worth more than silver.
    Well yeah! Twinkies have a longer shelf life than silver!

AJ
    "Be careful what you post on the net, website owners will undo your edits and restore deleted things to serve THEIR needs and ignore those of you and your family"

"Even after they've banned all your friends, that helped create and moderate their website"

Super Moderator

Common misunderstandings need to be clarified.

Using silver or gold for purchasing items is not barter; it is making purchases.

Items, even if they are snack foods that last much longer than food should ever last, are not a store of wealth as ever-lasting precious metals are.

Yes, one should make sure preps are acquired before buying PMs, but that is no new concept. It is the same as saying one should pay bills and buy food before putting the paycheck into the savings account.

I find it interesting how the same people who are working hard to learn survival skills our forefathers took for granted like to either ignore or mock money that has been acknowledged and has been used as currencies have come and gone.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Buying PM is a just another form of investment security. What level of payback it is as an investment depends on when you buy and sell. There are a lot of folks that paid way to much for silver wanting to see that price go back up quickly.
    Investments are spread out and picked based on a lot of things. How important the cash you spent is right now, how fast you may or may not need to get you hands on it.
    How long can you wait for it to increase in value. Long and short term risk. At 60 years old investing in a 20 year pay back item is kind of silly.
    Silver and gold in modern times has had it's runs in the next fool up market. They get hot and the price runs up more jump in and it keeps going. The trick when to get out and leave the last fool up holding the bag. Gold and silver made a run it hit a price where many found it no longer a good move and they went back to stocks.
    There is nothing wrong with having PM as part of an investment PLAN. Should SHTF I am sure at some point PM may come in handy if you can hang on to it.
    If you buy PM now as part of a plan and do not need that cash to buy food and shelter at a younger age you have time to recover if it sits still or even drops. Today a good investment in silver could be much smarter than a worthless CD.
    When you are young you can take more risk you have time for do overs risk is your game to win or lose. As you age the chance of do overs fades fast.
    Keep your eyes open there are a lot of powerful people looking for ways to unload silver and gold they paid to much for and need them prices to run back up to unload it.
    Remember Jimmy Carter. And the Hunt brothers
    Last edited by Smitty901; 11-16-2014 at 12:53 PM.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links