Gold , Silver ect - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Gold , Silver ect

This is a discussion on Gold , Silver ect within the Economic, Precious Metals, Investing, Finance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Nice sovereign Jacky! Fellow stacker here, mostly bullion coins but do have a couple proof/uncirculated sets. No experience with other rare/precious metals, only gold and ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Gold , Silver ect

Nice sovereign Jacky!

Fellow stacker here, mostly bullion coins but do have a couple proof/uncirculated sets. No experience with other rare/precious metals, only gold and silver, and mostly in Eagles and Maple Leafs since they're more recognizable to people on this side of the pond.

I'd think recognizability might be even more of an issue with other rare metal coins or bars post SHTF, plus the question of what is the exchange rate for platinum or rhodium to gold / silver which will almost certainly be the de facto standards? Gemstones might even be worse, assaying coins to confirm their validity isn't too tough but doubt many would be able to assay gems where qualities like cut, brilliance, or luster make up a large part of their value. Just my 2 pence.

To those that suggest ammo as post SHTF money/currency, would you really accept it in trade, especially from a stranger or anyone you didn't fully trust? They could be loaded with sand, or flash powder (!), or with primers they found lying in a puddle somewhere. The only way to really be certain they have their full value (as in, they'll go 'bang') destroys them in the process of confirming it. Plus there's Greshams Law, each time they change hands people will keep the ones that they believe are the most valuable, which for ammo means the ones most likely to work when needed, and trade the ones they have less trust or faith in. After they change hands a few times the only ones in circulation are going to be the ones nobody trusts.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    Nice sovereign!

Fellow stacker here, mostly bullion coins but do have a couple proof/uncirculated sets. No experience with other rare/precious metals, only gold and silver, and mostly in Eagles and Maple Leafs since they're more recognizable to people on this side of the pond.

I'd think recognizability might be even more of an issue with other rare metal coins or bars post SHTF, plus the question of what is the exchange rate for platinum or rhodium to gold / silver which will almost certainly be the de facto standards? Gemstones might even be worse, assaying coins to confirm their validity isn't too tough but doubt many would be able to assay gems where qualities like cut, brilliance, or luster make up a large part of their value. Just my 2 pence.

To those that suggest ammo as post SHTF money/currency, would you really accept it in trade, especially from a stranger or anyone you didn't fully trust? They could be loaded with sand, or flash powder (!), or with primers they found lying in a puddle somewhere. The only way to really be certain they have their full value (as in, they'll go 'bang') destroys them in the process of confirming it. Plus there's Greshams Law, each time they change hands people will keep the ones that they believe are the most valuable, which for ammo means the ones most likely to work when needed, and trade the ones they have less trust or faith in. After they change hands a few times the only ones in circulation are going to be the ones nobody trusts.
    Yeah ive got odd bits mainly bullion , Brits, maples, eagles, ect. I try to keep away from premium stuff , apart from the Scottsdale stuff that I buy because I like

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
    Slippy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacky View Post
    Yeah ive got odd bits mainly bullion , Brits, maples, eagles, ect. I try to keep away from premium stuff , apart from the Scottsdale stuff that I buy because I like

Harrington and Bryne had an offer on the sovereigns they were below spot when I bought

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Here's an interesting concept: Gold actually sold as an intended monetary system.....

https://www.combibar.com/
    Denton likes this.
    My ability to recall lyrics from a song written in the 70's far exceeds my ability to recall why I walked into the kitchen.
    Hidden Content . Prepping is not a destination... it is a journey.
    Visit my YouTube page: Hidden Content

@Jacky

I enjoy the Hobby of Stacking Precious Metals too! (And I am happy to "spend" it regularly as well! )

A couple of my "stacks"...

Gold , Silver ect-img_1773-002-.jpg

Attachment 102663

My steel, copper and lead collection.

Gold , Silver ect-stack-.jpg
    Prepared One and Slippy like this.
    My ability to recall lyrics from a song written in the 70's far exceeds my ability to recall why I walked into the kitchen.

Nothin like showing what ya got.
    Denton and Slippy like this.
    BRING ALL TROOPS HOME NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post

To those that suggest ammo as post SHTF money/currency, would you really accept it in trade, especially from a stranger or anyone you didn't fully trust? .
    Not sure that kind of 'trading' is what they had in mind. Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    Not sure that kind of 'trading' is what they had in mind. Just sayin.
    I kinda suspect the reference is trading some high-velocity lead in exchange for security.

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    I kinda suspect the reference is trading some high-velocity lead in exchange for security.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links