Why are you still working?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Why are you still working? within the Economic, Precious Metals, Investing, Finance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Why are you still showing up for work? That question came up yesterday for my wife. After Church we went to a information meeting on ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Why are you still working?

Why are you still showing up for work? That question came up yesterday for my wife. After Church we went to a information meeting on her retirement. Big part of looking at where she is was why are you still showing up. You reach a point where sticking around to the last possible benefit is a losing game.
    They tell you to put of drawing SS as long as you can. That is not true in most cases . Waiting could cost you big time in the long run what you don't take now may not pay off in the longer run. Comes down to a case something like this.
    When you add up all that you are leaving sit while you still work. You are working for either nothing or very low dollar differences. I saw that 3 years ago and walked. Wife sees that now. When you do the math , she is really working for a difference of $4 dollars an hour. Walking away now would in the long run put more cash in her bank account. Some of you will understand it , some will have to really dig in for it to sink in. There is a point where you have done the right thing all these years time to cash in.
    We had a hard time explaining to one person yesterday why it made no sense for her to pay a house off first. She has money earning 5% and is paying 3% on the home. By doubling up to pay the house off she is losing 2% on that money.
    Being bad debit free is a Goal, not all debit is bad. When you reach a point in life after working you ass off for mist of it. It is hard to stop and really taken in the big picture. Then you figure out that goal you had been chasing for 40 years was passed a few years back. Each person there was in a different place. Most were better off than they realized.
    We went through all that a few years back , and made the first major step in leaving the work world. That was my walking away. Now time for the second for my wife pick a day and walk out the door for the last time.
    Hard to believe so many are losing money by showing up for work. That the long term plans they had worked and it was time to take what was yours and walk away.
    Mule13, hawgrider, stowlin and 5 others like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

But millions on welfare are counting on you to show up and pay for their benefits.

Why am I still working? I ask myself that question every Monday morning. I have a few more years left but I am lining up my ducks now. I am looking at 62.
    inceptor, Slippy, Inor and 2 others like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

The Good Cop

SS is calculated by actuarial tables.
    Your monthly amount is set by the number of years you are expected to live.
    Wait until 70 and you will get more per month, true, but you are drawing for a shorter time. In the end, the calculated amount is the same.
    The government just gets to tax you more while you are still working.

After 6 months, I went back part time simply to have extra pocket money.
    Oh, the government takes income tax from your SS benefit. Some people don’t realized that.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    But millions on welfare are counting on you to show up and pay for their benefits.
    I left the working world 3 years ago. Now it is my wife turn. I want her to retire. We have some motorcycle trips to take. Lots of them.
    Slippy and StratMaster like this.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    I left the working world 3 years ago. Now it is my wife turn. I want her to retire. We have some motorcycle trips to take. Lots of them.
    I am right behind you but will be towing a RV and owning no home once sold in mid Spring. The wife and I have been working out a plan on how to maintain a prepper mentality while on the road........ Imagine once we get our fill of the road we will settle down in N. Arkansas on the property.
    Slippy, bigwheel and Deebo like this.
    Come on you target for faraway laughter, Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine....

I still work only because I have clients that are happy to pay me, and much of what I do for them is retirement planning. BTW I have some clients I openly suggest taking SS day one and others I don’t. It is about knowing them, family history, and their health. Someone who by all accounts should make it to 85+ I say wait otherwise I say take.
    Smitty901 and Slippy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stowlin View Post
    I still work only because I have clients that are happy to pay me, and much of what I do for them is retirement planning. BTW I have some clients I openly suggest taking SS day one and others I don’t. It is about knowing them, family history, and their health. Someone who by all accounts should make it to 85+ I say wait otherwise I say take.
    SS is at it's best when you can say you really don't need it. Other plans and preparation have covered you as if it was not there.
    Slippy and stowlin like this.

Because I am only 28 and most likely will have to work for at least another 40 years to retire.

I enjoy my work a lot and cannot imagine ever giving it up completely. But when we started building M.T. Acres about 2 years ago, I went to a work schedule of 3 weeks working followed by 1 week off to build the house. Once I finished the house, I just decided to keep the same schedule. Our cost of living is next to nothing so there is no reason to kill myself to make every last dollar.
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links