Passive Income Ideas For Rural Preppers
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Passive Income Ideas For Rural Preppers within the Economic, Precious Metals, Investing, Finance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have recently became a land owner and I'm interested in ideas for passive income. I am a farmer by trade but I'm not confident ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Passive Income Ideas For Rural Preppers

I have recently became a land owner and I'm interested in ideas for passive income. I am a farmer by trade but I'm not confident in farming being a great way to reliably pay the bills, especially if you don't have a lot of land for row crops and don't want to have a confined feeding operation for livestock.

Technically passive income is defined as earnings derived from a rental property, limited partnership, or other enterprise in which a person is not actively involved. The way I'm using the term however isn't exactly the technical definition. I am interested in ways to make money from my land that involve very limited action on my part, but not necessarily entirely passive if that makes sense. I've been told by many that passive income is the key to building wealth in the long term. I don't trust the stock market, and I also don't trust the value of precious metals in a long term SHTF or TEOTWAKI, because you can't eat gold.

So that leaves me with a few options I've been considering. One is to raise quail alongside my chickens that I'll have anyway to be released onto my land for customers to use it as a hunting preserve. I would rent out use of my back twenty to people interested in doing some hunting.

Another option is to build a shop, garage, or similar structure near my front gate and to try to have part of my land re-zoned for commercial activities. I could rent out the commercial space to a business interested in using it.

Another option I'm excited about potentially pursuing is to set up a small storage unit complex with some units and a yard, which would also involve rezoning. This may be a great idea especially for preppers because storage unit complexes often have security features like cameras, tall fencing, etc. In SHTF holing up inside a storage unit complex could make for a very secure location. Storage units are cheaper to build and maintain than other structures, with many rural complexes lacking water or electrical hookups. Having lots of storage space is also a great thing for a prepper to have. If you stockpiled a bunch of woodstoves in a pinch a storage unit complex could be quickly converted into an emergency shelter for a sizable group of friends or family members.

Prepping is important in case of SHTF, but so is long term financial security in general, and passive income could provide someone with the time and resources to afford some excellent preps. What do you think of these ideas? Would it be worth it or could it potentially introduce extra problems in SHTF and make you a big target? What are some of your ideas for passive income for a rural person with some land?
    Last edited by Jayhawker; 01-02-2019 at 08:38 PM. Reason: wanted to make paragraphs to break up the text

Super Moderator

JH, I would suggest further breaking up those large paragraphs. Internet commo is not the same as books.
    SOCOM42 likes this.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

JH'er

I tried to empathize with you to come up with some good ideas but being a small land owner myself and someone who strives to be prepared, I cannot in good faith suggest you move forward with any of your ideas of passive income from your land that involves other people using your land.

Farming, raising livestock both seem to be good ideas. But leasing the land to hunters, no way in hell! Same with rezoning as a commercial property, nothing good will come from that. Only regulations and higher taxes, higher insurance and idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    I have recently became a land owner and I'm interested in ideas for passive income. I am a farmer by trade but I'm not confident in farming being a great way to reliably pay the bills, especially if you don't have a lot of land for row crops and don't want to have a confined feeding operation for livestock. Technically passive income is defined as earnings derived from a rental property, limited partnership, or other enterprise in which a person is not actively involved. The way I'm using the term however isn't exactly the technical definition. I am interested in ways to make money from my land that involve very limited action on my part, but not necessarily entirely passive if that makes sense. I've been told by many that passive income is the key to building wealth in the long term. I don't trust the stock market, and I also don't trust the value of precious metals in a long term SHTF or TEOTWAKI, because you can't eat gold.

So that leaves me with a few options I've been considering. One is to raise quail alongside my chickens that I'll have anyway to be released onto my land for customers to use it as a hunting preserve. I would rent out use of my back twenty to people interested in doing some hunting. Another option is to build a shop, garage, or similar structure near my front gate and to try to have part of my land re-zoned for commercial activities. I could rent out the commercial space to a business interested in using it. Another option I'm excited about potentially pursuing is to set up a small storage unit complex with some units and a yard, which would also involve rezoning. This may be a great idea especially for preppers because storage unit complexes often have security features like cameras, tall fencing, etc. In SHTF holing up inside a storage unit complex could make for a very secure location. Storage units are cheaper to build and maintain than other structures, with many rural complexes lacking water or electrical hookups. Having lots of storage space is also a great thing for a prepper to have. If you stockpiled a bunch of woodstoves in a pinch a storage unit complex could be quickly converted into an emergency shelter for a sizable group of friends or family members.

Prepping is important in case of SHTF, but so is long term financial security in general, and passive income could provide someone with the time and resources to afford some excellent preps. What do you think of these ideas? Would it be worth it or could it potentially introduce extra problems in SHTF and make you a big target? What are some of your ideas for passive income for a rural person with some land?

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

The Good Cop

I agree with the Slipmiester. Some of your ideas would require quite a bit of insurance.
    For example, someone using your shop out by the road has the car he’s working on fall and crush a leg.

Hunting lease, maybe. But most hunters around here form clubs and lease a thousand acres from a timber company.
    I’m not sure how much income you could get from 5 guys on 10 acres.

We used to sell eggs from our chickens, but the thought of government intrusion ended that.
    We just give our eggs to people who have helped us.
    StratMaster, JoeC95 and Slippy like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Storage units are the ticket, IMHO. All depends on your location and if the need is there.
    Jayhawker likes this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    Storage units are the ticket, IMHO. All depends on your location and if the need is there.
    This is kind of what I was thinking. If you have the land let some person store their RV on your property or some weekend toys (quad's, motorcycles). That is certainly passive since you'll have to do nothing but let them sit on your land.

As others have said though insurance will be something you'll have to deal with and if you go this route have a strong lease agreement that clearly lays out what and when the person can do what they do (as far as picking up and returning the items).
    JoeC95 and Jayhawker like this.
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

You don't want the authorities telling you they found a meth lab in one of your outbuildings.

Well one of my old pals who owned two acres had a similar dielemma a few years back He say plant a grape vine every 15 feet or so around the edges of the property line and train it to grow up a T Post onto a four foot square of hog wire attached to the post. Keep it trimmed up to fit the the hog wire and install a drip irritgation system to deliver needed water to each vine. When the grapes ripen up invite the old widder ladies out to pick their own grapes to make jelly and wine etc. He said he made few thousand bucks a year off of that deal and did not bother the interior of his holdings. Kindly try that and report back. Thanks. He lived at
    Burkburnet which aint too far from Kansas.
    Last edited by bigwheel; 01-02-2019 at 10:21 PM.
    Jayhawker likes this.

Ye old meth lab? Just an rv and some old school chemistry shite. You good mane.

Not to put too fine a point on it but...

The money a customer pays you represents value that you have created for your customer. The idea of creating value from nothing is preposterous.

Have people been able to get money from "passive income" streams? Yes. But they are always short-lived and usually illegal.

The only reliable way to generate consistent income is to develop the skills to provide a product or service that your customers will value more than the cash in their wallet. Then, be prepared to work your ass off to promote that product or service to as many potential customers as you possibly can. Sorry buckshot, there's no free lunch. Every rich man I have ever met has been a hard working S.O.B. And everyone I have ever met that inherited money but not a work-ethic, ended up broke.
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Rest in Peace Sgt Mackie. 10/19/19

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links