Surviving An Economic Collapse
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Surviving An Economic Collapse

This is a discussion on Surviving An Economic Collapse within the Economic, Precious Metals, Investing, Finance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have been looking into Venezuela's situation recently as a way to learn more about financial preparedness. They are going through what is the world's ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Surviving An Economic Collapse

Post Surviving An Economic Collapse

I have been looking into Venezuela's situation recently as a way to learn more about financial preparedness. They are going through what is the world's highest inflation at the moment, where money is so useless it is worth more when it is made in crafts than it is as a tradeable currency. It seems in situations like this, money becomes irrelevant and other tradeable variations such as skills, services and essential items are worth more to trade for than excess piles of inflated currency.

As a source, I have been making my way through the posts of Venezuelan Prepper (published on The Prepping Guide), a prepper currently living in Venezuela that writes about how he has prepared his family and himself for a financial collapse. There are some great treasures we can learn from people like this that are actually living through the stuff we have planned for.

Here are some of the issues from his posts I have been using as a way to learn more about what I might need to survive a financial collapse:
    • What happens to food and medicine in a financial collapse
    • What happens to currency in an economic collapse
    • How important a family and support network is in these times
    • What happens to power and the grid reliance in a societal and economic collapse
    • How to financially prepare for a financial collapse and job loss

These are some great lessons written from a perspective of someone actually going through what we generally prepare for. It's great that we have the internet as a place to experience this through someone's writing to learn more about what we can do to ready ourselves.

I've read those. At one point I believe he said he had about six months of food and while it did help in the begining, it ran out a looong time ago. The overall picture he painted is the importance of being self sufficient for the long term.

While the experiences of people from other countries would not necessarily be transferable the thing that did surprised me the most about what he's written is him saying he wished he had stored away years worth of antibiotics. He almost seemed to put more importance on that than anythng else.
    0rocky likes this.

One thing about prepping.. if you got food, water, shelter, security... it does not matter if it is economic collapse, pandemic, EMP, aliens, or antichrist, or black lives matter.... as long as you have TP and enough popcorn for the show
    0rocky, MountainGirl, Joe and 3 others like this.
    Be a Berean

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

There’s a lot going on here. Number 1 solution would be becoming self-sufficient, the topic is economic collapse. In the past a few fellas carried diamonds which allows you to have considerable value on your person with little weight and space. By virtue of it being an economic collapse the very definition of which would be that local currency is as valuable as Confederate money or maybe Monopoly money. If it’s a global economic collapse see number 1. A means of survival or middle of the road solution is the universally accepted barter system. To go further would take a book or read every post on this site

What happened in Venezuela isn't really a similar comparison to what will take place in the US, IMHO. 300 million guns for one quick point. Plus the race card will come into play.

I see it more like what is happening in South Africa but with guns, not machetes and clubs. Shiny objects will be of little use, unless it's brass and copper.
    SOCOM42, Camel923 and Michael_Js like this.

Take a left by where that oak tree used to be
    Basic staples to survive and dollar bills for butt wipe....

Having some set skills for barter would be one of the oldest forms of currency would it not??? I can repair weapons, I can repair some electronics (depending on the tech), I can make propellants for firearms (both black powder and smokeless) I can cast bullets. The only tricky thing is primers. Wish you could still buy rolls of caps, they use to be perfect for refreshing an expended primer. But anyway, I got manuals tools for doing firewood, felling trees, digging, ect So ya where there is will, there is always a way.

Read something awhile back-- "no matter how prepared you think you are, you ain;t ready for what is coming"
    Hope that is untrue!
    Camel923 likes this.

One of the issues with a stockpile weather in Venezuela, here or else where is being able to keep it. Not only from neighbors and roving bands of thugs but also government. Everyone will feel entitled to what they do not have. Venezuela would be Extra difficult in that the government took civilian arms away long ago.
    Last edited by Camel923; 03-13-2018 at 05:11 AM.
    StratMaster and Smitty901 like this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

Quote Originally Posted by Camel923 View Post
    One of the issues with a stockpile weather in Venezuela, here or else where is being able to keep it. Not only from neighbors and roving bands of thugs but also government. Everyone will feel entitled to what they do not have. Venezuela would be Etta difficult in that the government took civilian arms away long ago.
    If you can't defend it . It aint yours , you just holding for those coming to take it.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links