Trying to ward off thieves
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Trying to ward off thieves within the DIY forums, part of the General Discussion category; Looking for ideas to ward off thieves, maybe even catch one. My sister's house stays empty most days anymore. She has cancer and moved in ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Trying to ward off thieves

Looking for ideas to ward off thieves, maybe even catch one.
    My sister's house stays empty most days anymore. She has cancer and moved in with our mother over a year ago, so she is rarely there anymore. Thieves have figured this out and have been hitting her regularly.
    They even drained her 500 gallon oil tank in the yard and stole the tank. Everything is gone out of the yard, they have been in the separate garage and the basement which is separated from the house.
    I know it is just a matter of time before they get into the upper part of the house, which is full of antiques, and clean her out.
    The house is rural and the neighbors never see or hear anything. Law enforcement has been little help other than take reports because there is no evidence to go on.
    MisterMills357 and Annie like this.
    And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him;... Genesis 16:12

We're going to get the power company to put up another light pole in back to light up the whole back yard.

I have some cheap battery alarms that may scare them away, once. Will be looking into a regular alarm system but, she can't afford to have it monitored.

Also looking at trail cameras. Can someone tell us what brands are good vs crap, keeping in mind we're all on a tight budget? How do you hide the cameras? The woods are way too far away from the house for easy concealment.

I have some cc cameras I will be putting it the windows but, no dvr yet.

Any and all ideas and suggestions will be appreciated.
    And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him;... Genesis 16:12

Quote Originally Posted by Boss Dog View Post
    We're going to get the power company to put up another light pole in back to light up the whole back yard.

I have some cheap battery alarms that may scare them away, once. Will be looking into a regular alarm system but, she can't afford to have it monitored.

Also looking at trail cameras. Can someone tell us what brands are good vs crap, keeping in mind we're all on a tight budget? How do you hide the cameras? The woods are way too far away from the house for easy concealment.

I have some cc cameras I will be putting it the windows but, no dvr yet.

Any and all ideas and suggestions will be appreciated.
    When I get a minute I'm going to post a couple links I have to get on my laptop first.

If you get the game camera invest in the money if you get the game camera, invest in the model that will send you the pictures directly to your phone or to email. If they see the camera they may steal it but you will have photographic evidence.

You may want to consider tripwire alarms or non deadly booby traps.

If you know how they are getting into the house and other buildings then trap them. Place nails with boards or caltrops on the floor right inside the doorway or underneath the window stills.

Before you do anything you need to post no trespassing signs. Also state that you are under audio and visual surveillance.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished. Proverbs 22:3 NKJV

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Lowest cost Post a hand letter sign saying they are under surveillance.

Some lamps and a radio on timers. On and off at different times.

With the game camera put it to catch the lane so you can see vehicles and people coming and going . For a camera inside point it to monitor the doors .

If the house sets way back consider a gate or cable and a camera on the gate / cable .

Anybody you can rent it to or even allow them to live they pay utilities? I try and get someone to stay at my place when I am gone.
    Camel923 and RedLion like this.
    [1]Survival: Actions I need to do NOW to live another 5 minutes to 3 days.[2] Prepping: What I do to insure my family makes it thru an adverse event lasting 3 days to 3 months [3] Seeds and livestock: What you need for long term subsistence.

Here are some simple deterrents. I could give deady info but that would just put you in prison.
    12 Gauge Security Control System - HV005

12 GA perimeter alarm

easily made at home.
    12 Gauge Pepper Blast - 3 Units Per Package - G12-019

I think your best bet is the game cameras that send you the picture thru email or text. Not really for sure which.

https://www.besttrailcamerareviews.o...-trail-camera/

If you go the camera route place a sign next to it letting the dirt bag that multiple pictures have been taken and that police have been notified. Love to see that picture.
    Renec likes this.
    A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished. Proverbs 22:3 NKJV

Put up signs about servailence. Fake cameras, perhaps one with a battery that could broad cast to your computer. MOVE the antiques before you loose them!!!
    hawgrider likes this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

Get some of those Simply Safe camera's that call you when tripped. I would NOT put up fake signs. Try not to let the idiots know your on to them. Crooks are easier to catch when they THINK they are getting away with it.

Spend some time over there with your friendly guard dog and 12ga. Catch them in the act. Spike the driveway with tire spikes. Could even bait them with an expensive looking item in the yard, WHEN your there. Out of sight.

https://simplisafe.com/security?gcli...g&utm_device=c
    Last edited by Chipper; 01-27-2018 at 01:25 PM.
    Slippy likes this.

Renec likes this.

Joe

Simple solution depending on driveway surface. Nail boards. Years ago we had kids driving their 4wd trucks in a new seeding of alfalfa. The field was at the end of a short rough lane. We simply put a bunch of pole nails through a few boards and laid them in the lane and semi covered them with stone and dirt. It did not take long to stop those boys. 2x4's and nails about 4 dollars. Fixing the problem...priceless!
    jim-henscheli likes this.

Camp out in the house at times, and be as random about as you can be. That goes for drive-by checks of the place, go by and then turn around a mile down the road. Then get out and do a walk-around. Go by at night, and turn off your headlights if you can do it safely, and monitor the house from your car. If that sounds silly, I can tell you that it isn't; I baby sat a friends house with a revolver in my pocket. And I would have shot somebody if needed.
    A DECLARATION OF THE RIGHTS OF THE INHABITANTS OF THE COMMONWEALTH, OR STATE OF PENNSYLVANIA:: [Pennsylvaia was a very different place then, just look at Philly today, compared to 1776 AD.]
    [And it is regrettable that their original confrontational ways, about how government should work, has been lost.]

VI. That those who are employed in the legislative and executive business of the State, may be restrained from oppression, the people have a right, at such periods as they may think proper, to reduce their public officers to a private station, and supply the vacancies by certain and regular elections.
    [Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links