No grid -- running water
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

No grid -- running water

This is a discussion on No grid -- running water within the DIY forums, part of the General Discussion category; When the grid goes down a lot of us loose our running water. But it's not that hard of a problem to over come. And ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: No grid -- running water

No grid -- running water

When the grid goes down a lot of us loose our running water. But it's not
    that hard of a problem to over come. And sometimes to flush a toilet is wonderful

This is a 12 volt set up. So your going to need a small solar set up or a battery and a way
    to charge it up. It's going to cost about $150 extra if you don't have a solar set up.

First off we need a container for the water I like those blue food drums I think they are 55 gallon?

We also need a shurflo pump from a camper on the top of the drum it has two lines attached
    with one line going to the bottom of the drum. And the other is attached to a garden hose.
    Make sure that you use the male end on the pump you will need the female end later.
    If you take your stuff to a home improvement store they will hook up you with adapters

The garden hose needs to be attached some place in the existing pluming to pressurize it.
    We will be using a spigot for a place to attach the hose.

When picking a spot try and find a place on the intake side of the water heater so if you have
    a gas or propane hot water tank you will still have running hot water. (hot shower)
    You might also be able to hook up right at the hot water tank. Don't they have a garden
    hose size drain spigot? In a pinch even an outside spigot will do.

TO POWER THE PUMP
    If you have a small solar set up your ready -- just do it

If you don't have a small solar set up then it's still not a big deal.
    You need a small generator like 900 watt ones at harbor freight $88
    a battery and a car battery charger $35
    The generator is a 2 cycle it sounds like a weed eater but it will run a very long
    time on just a little gas.

The pumps will run until the system is pressurized if you have a well it take advantage of the
    accumulator tank and not kick on every time you use the water

These are on demand pumps but with a accumulator tank you should get 7-9 gallons of water
    before the pump kicks on

Note: For a 12 volt extension cord,, Stop at the hardware store and pick up two High quality
    extension cord repair ends. Instead of hooking them to an extension cord hook them to
    a short peice of #10 wire with clamps. Now you can use any cord as a 12 volt cord

when you pick out the pump get one that has a little power

If you look for a good deal on stuff this would't cost to much for what it will do

Once you get everything and see how it works, If the grid fails you can have water in about 5 minutes
    Taking your guns is like eating a whale,,,,,,One bite at a time

Another good reason to live out of town. We have 3 wells one runs pretty much year round water without a pump. Wells are not deep here. We can get water no madder what.
    Michael_Js likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

I'm confused. If the grid is down, how does the water get into the drum once the existing pressure is gone?
    Michael_Js likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Banned

Rainwater catchment system, but without a very large tank you will be out of water pretty fast. My neighbor has a 1500 gallon tank with pump so he can water his garden but that's too expensive for me. I'm playing with the idea but using a smaller 550 gallon tank and no pump. The location is uphill from the garden so I can get some gravity feed to the garden with the tank filling from the house's existing gutters. My concession to making it an emergency water supply for the house will be to raise the tank 18" off the ground and adding a T fitting with valve so it will be easy to fill a bucket from the tank.

Winters around here are mild enough that a little insulation wrapped around the T fitting and maybe a tiny heat tape should protect things from freezing.
    Last edited by 8301; 03-06-2017 at 06:36 PM.

Where I live in southern AZ, when the grid goes down, water is interrupted to the house almost immediately.
    So I sent my Water Bob to a friend who could use it. I invested in a 260 gallon tank designed to fit thru a
    standard doorway. Obviously I have my 50 gallon hot water heater too. I have a friend looking for another
    50 gallon water heater that had the heating system go out but doesn't leak. I want to put it next to my first
    hot water tank and feed water into the new one then into the actual hot water heater. The idea is to have an
    extra 50 gallons of water that is always fresh and being renewed constantly, plus it will be a tempering tank
    to bring the water temperature up to ambient, rather than the ground temperature.
    8301 and budgetprepp-n like this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    I'm confused. If the grid is down, how does the water get into the drum once the existing pressure is gone?
    That's emergency supplies that you need to have ready a head of time

Last edited by budgetprepp-n; 03-06-2017 at 09:44 PM.
    Taking your guns is like eating a whale,,,,,,One bite at a time

I'll take the cap off my well and stick the hand pump in. Back to the same set up that worked when we bought the place.

It's interesting how everything must be based on restoring electricity. When a simple mechanical pump will work.
    Last edited by Chipper; 03-07-2017 at 04:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    I'll take the cap off my well and stick the hand pump in. Back to the same set up that worked when we bought the place.

It's interesting how everything must be based on restoring electricity. When a simple mechanical pump will work.
    If I had to pump by hand it can be done well is not that deep. Now My sons house the well is 400 feet deep. That would take a lot of effort.
    Depending on where you are in Wisconsin we are blessed with plenty of clean water that is easy to get to.
    I would like to keep septic system and showers working as long as I can Post SHTF.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

As opposed to pumping, I have a well bucket. If the event is long term, I'd insert my Grundfos Flex pump, that can run directly off of my solar panels.

OrneryOldBat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post

As I previously stated, a well bucket will keep you in a good supply of cool, clean water. However, I went the route of the flex pump running off of solar as I understand the dangers of drought. Now it is an inconvenience. In an extended crisis, it can mean death. So to me, an electrical pump that once again pressurizes the system is needed for the drip irrigation and would be used to provide water to other crops during a drought. Pumping or pulling up that much water would just not be feasible.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links