No grid -- running water - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

No grid -- running water

This is a discussion on No grid -- running water within the DIY forums, part of the General Discussion category; word of advice for everyone with this idea of connecting their emergency water supply tank directly to the municipal tap .... before the water supply ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: No grid -- running water

word of advice for everyone with this idea of connecting their emergency water supply tank directly to the municipal tap .... before the water supply goes down completely it could be corrupted in any number of ways - ruining any water supply entrapped in your home's plumbing system ....

you should be prepped for the addition of "last minute" water supplies to your regular pre-stored - get it done early (something the kids can do) - do it by priority (potable water to grey flush) .... if the municipal source is looking questionable shut off your main valve - preserve your home's entrapped water .... helps if your plumbing is designed with a faucet and valve that allows water draw without involving your entire system - even contaminated water has it's purposes ....

PS - someone mentioned their water heater and it's water - when was the last time you connected a hose and drained off the bottom scum? - wouldn't be the first homeowner with that bottom valve completely clogged ....
    Last edited by Illini Warrior; 03-07-2017 at 06:45 AM.
    Old SF Guy and Snake_doctor like this.
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    word of advice for everyone with this idea of connecting their emergency water supply tank directly to the municipal tap .... before the water supply goes down completely it could be corrupted in any number of ways - ruining any water supply entrapped in your home's plumbing system ....

you should be prepped for the addition of "last minute" water supplies to your regular pre-stored - get it done early (something the kids can do) - do it by priority (potable water to grey flush) .... if the municipal source is looking questionable shut off your main valve - preserve your home's entrapped water .... helps if your plumbing is designed with a faucet and valve that allows water draw without involving your entire system - even contaminated water has it's purposes ....
    Backflow valves come in handy. I'm almost certain they are required around here nowadays when connecting to city water.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    Backflow valves come in handy. I'm almost certain they are required around here nowadays when connecting to city water.

a backflow valve will only isolate when plumbing system is not utilized or the municipal pressure is gone (but not gravity fed) ... still need to close that main to keep down the accidental usage from happening - there's nothing more human & natural than flushing the john ....

in regards to the issue of the backflow valve - not always required by direct code - the municipal water meters are one-way flow - built in check valve into the design .... it satisfies the requirement ...
    Last edited by Illini Warrior; 03-07-2017 at 06:55 AM.
    Redneck likes this.
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

- Permanent solution for keeping our deep well running off grid...

- No grid -- running water-190239_1011038604914_1471_n.jpg

I may be gettin' older,
    But I've been fightin' dirtier, longer.

This is an emergency set up that's ready to go. Or at least that's what it was originally built for.
    It was built so if I loose the grid just a flip of a switch and I have running water just like before
    I been using it as my regular water supply. I refill it with clean drinking when ever it needs it

Quote Originally Posted by budgetprepp-n View Post
    That's emergency supplies that you need to have ready a head of time

Taking your guns is like eating a whale,,,,,,One bite at a time

I guess I'm old school in idea....If I'm surviving off a stock of water or well water...I'm planning to make it a chore to get...so that everyone knows how critical it is and not taking showers with it. Thats best done by manual pumping it and running it into buckets to be heated for bathing.....(cleanest person goes first LOL). But good thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    As opposed to pumping, I have a well bucket. If the event is long term, I'd insert my Grundfos Flex pump, that can run directly off of my solar panels.
    this is very interesting, how does it work for long term

We're on a spring, with a 1200 gallon reserve tank (which did run dry last summer due to overuse - damn garden!). I have a sureflo 12 VDC pump connected with a 100 watt solar panel and 12 VDC deep discharge battery connected. I have installed it into the existing pump setup, with bypass switches, and have its pressure set lower than the standard pump. When the power goes it, it cuts in and takes over. No issues so far. Only problem is that our 2 water purifier's (one UV light) don't work. Oh well...

No grid -- running water-20190316_140447.jpg

Not sure it rotates the darn picture!! Argh!

Peace,
    Michael J.
    Last edited by Michael_Js; 02-17-2020 at 09:19 AM.

On muni water here but,no worries.here is our well,lake Superior 1 block away.kinda dicey right now though.
    No grid -- running water-dsci0026.jpg
    tuffy_chick_13 likes this.
    TOUGH TIMES DONT LAST,TOUGH PEOPLE DO.

In eastern Washington, we're nearly on Lake Roosevelt. It would be rough hauling it if for some reason automobiles weren't working, but at least the water is there. In western Washington...it rains a lot so that will help, but our back up plan is to hand dig/drill a well in our back yard. The water table appears to be pretty high. Either place, the water would have to be well filtered to make it safe to drink.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links