Generator Wiring Instructions For A Residential Electrical Panel
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Generator Wiring Instructions For A Residential Electrical Panel within the DIY forums, part of the General Discussion category; Here is a decent step by step (be sure to click the next or all steps tabs) tutorial on how to set up an electrical ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Generator Wiring Instructions For A Residential Electrical Panel

Here is a decent step by step (be sure to click the next or all steps tabs) tutorial on how to set up an electrical panel box to accommodate a portable generator and allow for specific breakers to be chosen when the need arises.

Easy Generator to Home Hook Up
    dwight55, sideKahr, Denton and 5 others like this.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

On my list for this spring. it was supposed to be done last year but pushed it back. I already have the generator that will handle the whole house except the AC. I am opting for the interlock option as well. I got one of my control guys to do the electrical for me as I am no electrician. He is also going to do some minor work in the panel for me. Good find @A Watchman .
    dwight55 and A Watchman like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Backup electricity is also on my "list to finish" this spring.

This is where I am so far:

1. Labeled everything in the main house panel (not quite finished yet as the picture shows, . . . but we're working on it)

2. Added a separate panel, . . . bottom big double breakers on each side of the small panel are the primary and secondary feed breakers. They are mechanically interlocked so that turning one on, . . . automatically turns the other one off.

3. Went thru the house and in the critical areas where I need lights during a power outage, . . . replaced all lights with LED bulbs (living room, kitchen, master bedroom and master bath, and the electric panel room).

4. Will set up the secondary panel with two different power sources: generator and a 12 VDC to 120 VAC converter. If I choose the inverter, it will power only one side of the secondary feed breaker, . . . feeding only every other breaker in the separate panel, . . . and that will allow me to just plug it in, and have lighting available, and/or power to charge cell phones, laptop computer, small radio or TV, as well as my router so I have computer contact with the outside world as well).

It is all of course set up so that only one power source can be directed to the secondary panel at one time. Not done yet, . . . but we are getting there.

Thanks Watchman for the information, . . . it reinforces most of my stuff, . . . and gave me a couple of ideas on my getting power into the house from the generator. I have the panel, . . . have the generator, . . . had never sat down and walked myself through the connection end of it. That will be some time later this spring, . . . something about it being warm outside where I'll be working.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Generator Wiring Instructions For A Residential Electrical Panel-power-panel-1.jpg  

Generator Wiring Instructions For A Residential Electrical Panel-power-panel-2.jpg  

Generator Wiring Instructions For A Residential Electrical Panel-power-panel-3.jpg  

If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Good article. And the comments following, some from registered electricians, are very informative also.

It certainly would be nice to have power during an outage. Maybe it's even a necessity if you live off the hard road and are the last to be re-energized after a routine storm. But having a generator just doesn't fit in with my Gray Man philosophy; announcing to all within earshot that I am the guy who probaby is prepared in other areas also, when they are not.
    Last edited by sideKahr; 01-25-2017 at 07:09 AM.
    A Watchman and RJAMES like this.

saw this once before - the electric run is OK and by code - but a bit amateurish and would benefit from a more solid & reinforced materials usage .... you want a kid abuse installation ....
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by sideKahr View Post
    Good article. And the comments following, some from registered electricians, are very informative also.

It certainly would be nice to have power during an outage. Maybe it's even a necessity if you live off the hard road and are the last to be re-energized after a routine storm. But having a generator just doesn't fit in with my Gray Man philosophy; announcing to all within earshot that I am the guy who probaby is prepared in other areas also, when they are not.
    Some of us live far enough away that there is no one who lives close enough to hear it. In my area it is very common to have one it would be unusual not to have it. Mine is a PTO generator so it operates off of the diesel tractor. Not uncommon to hear a tractor running . Solar panels do not make noise and with the new roofing materials are not noticeable.
    sideKahr likes this.
    [1]Survival: Actions I need to do NOW to live another 5 minutes to 3 days.[2] Prepping: What I do to insure my family makes it thru an adverse event lasting 3 days to 3 months [3] Seeds and livestock: What you need for long term subsistence.

I live way off the town road, this road is mine.

It is all wooded with 100 foot high trees.

With the exception of the big Diesel, the others cannot be heard from the main road or even halfway down my road.

I wired everything myself, and inspected by town.

Transfers are manual, I have three phase coming in here for the machines, big genset is three phase.

So if power out, I have to select which x-fer to select.

I wish I had the room for this. My panel is outside, in the wall. All will have to be done that way

For now though, I plug my generator into the 220V dryer outlet with a long, heavy duty custom made cable. Of course, I shut the Mains off when the power goes down and shut all the breakers off that I don't need/want powered up. It's a pain, but better than nothing.

Yes, I violate this step: Step 1: NEVER DO THIS: code smode...

Thanks for the article!
    Peace,
    Michael J.
    A Watchman, SOCOM42 and modfan like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
    I wish I had the room for this. My panel is outside, in the wall. All will have to be done that way

For now though, I plug my generator into the 220V dryer outlet with a long, heavy duty custom made cable. Of course, I shut the Mains off when the power goes down and shut all the breakers off that I don't need/want powered up. It's a pain, but better than nothing.

Thanks for the article!
    Peace,
    Michael J.
    There is another problem with you connection. The neutral (white wire) is capable of
    back feeding power down the line and potentially electrocuting a power line worker.

It might be a pain, but I use a regular 12 gauge extension cord to each item I need to
    power. Surprisingly my furnace (in the garage) uses a short 115 volt cord into an
    outlet for power so powering the furnace is a snap. I switch the extension cord to
    the freezer in the garage as necessary. I added a thru the wall connection in the
    garage (has a male connector) into the closet to an outlet to power the TV, etc.
    Since I have a gas stove I can light the top burner with a match, but no oven.
    I don't worry about much else.
    Michael_Js likes this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post

Thanks for the article!
    Peace,
    Michael J.
    Ya do what needs to be done, nothing wrong with it that way if done right.

I did it that way for about 8-9 years back in the 80's.

For paraquack; I don't have a neutral return line, on the three phase input.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 01-25-2017 at 10:01 AM.
    Michael_Js likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links