Water purification and water storage
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Water purification and water storage within the DIY forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hello all. I have been setting up my rainwater catchment systems. I have all my rain gutters feeding the three 55-gallon barrels. I put in ...

Like Tree17Likes
  • 3 Post By jdbushcraft
  • 4 Post By Sonya
  • 4 Post By csi-tech
  • 3 Post By spork
  • 2 Post By Sonya

Thread: Water purification and water storage

Hello all.
    I have been setting up my rainwater catchment systems. I have all my rain gutters feeding the three 55-gallon barrels. I put in a spout on the bottom I can hook up to a garden hose. I was thinking of good ways to make sure the water was ok to drink. anyone ever use a ozone generator for water purification before. I saw it once on a tv show called the colony but never again. I was thinking it would work great off a solar battery DIY pack I just finished, but didn't know if anyone else had some good idea for me.

Do you have asphalt shingles? If so, don't drink. Use the water in the garden.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Slippy, Maol9 and beach23bum like this.

Maybe buy a couple of tarps to catch rain water. If it doesn't come in contact with the roof or other structures it is usually safe to drink without purification/boiling. See here: Can You Drink Rain Water?

According to this you could catch a LOT of drinking water with a tarp if you get a decent amount of monthly rainfall. Just use your roof water for everything but cooking/drinking.

Gallons Of Rainwater Collection From 1 Inch Rain

(22) 5×7 Tarp
    (30) 6×8 Tarp
    (67) 9×12 Tarp
    (87) 10×14 Tarp
    (120) 12×16 Tarp
    (175) 14×20 Tarp

Calculate Gallons Of Rainwater Collection From A Tarp

If you want to buy a fancy purifying system go for it, but personally I will go with the tarps in the event the generator fails and I can't run the wellpump.
    Last edited by Sonya; 10-21-2016 at 04:27 PM.
    Tekcirc, Slippy, Maol9 and 1 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I pull it right out of a pond and purify with MSR Sweetwater and/or a Katadyne Pocket Micro filter. It tastes great. Right now I am getting an old well back up and running with a pitcher pump. We will test the water and if all clear, Berkey will be on order.
    "There is a destiny that shapes our ends, Rough, hew them as we will."

In a shtf situation, make sure you have several large tarps and just cover your roof with them. If you start from the bottom up and overlap them if needed, the water won't touch your roof, and your garden water can become drinking water. Just make sure you clean out your gutters! I wouldn't want to do it this way unless its a shtf moment, but it should work quite well.
    Camel923, csi-tech and beach23bum like this.

thank-you all. things to plan and work on.

Quote Originally Posted by spork View Post
    In a shtf situation, make sure you have several large tarps and just cover your roof with them. If you start from the bottom up and overlap them if needed, the water won't touch your roof, and your garden water can become drinking water. Just make sure you clean out your gutters! I wouldn't want to do it this way unless its a shtf moment, but it should work quite well.
    The problem with doing the whole roof for any amount of time is that it sort of defeats the "no purify" rainwater concept. If they stay on the roof for days/weeks the tarps will collect dust, pollen, bird poop, mold, bugs, etc... all of it will wash into the drinking water the next time it rains.

A removable tarp can be taken down when not in use and kept very clean/dry.

Realistically normal people would build up a resistance to minor impurities over time and probably be just fine, but there is a risk.
    Last edited by Sonya; 10-22-2016 at 06:44 AM.
    beach23bum and bigwheel like this.

Sponsored Links