Fortifying your home DIY style - Page 6
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Fortifying your home DIY style

This is a discussion on Fortifying your home DIY style within the DIY forums, part of the General Discussion category; My take on this is instead of trying to fortify the entire house , try to fortify just a single room. A panic room that ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Fortifying your home DIY style

My take on this is instead of trying to fortify the entire house , try to fortify just a single room. A panic room that you can armor up the walls with a simple remodel versus a all out blast shield that will sag your floors and make living downright uncomfortable. You could put a solid wood or steel core door on a interior room door and have a floor angle lock for leverage. You can pull down the drywall and glue ceramic tiles between the studs and back it with 10-15 layers of denim material you can get from a fabric store. Then put up new drywall and nobody will know you have a room that is level 2+ protected. As for windows acrylic sheet in 1/2" thickness would be a little spendy but it would prevent a break in from the outside.
    "I have always been able to avoid serious injury by freaking out and losing consciousness just before impact"

Quote Originally Posted by Arklatex View Post
    You can have all that security and someone will still just burn your house down out of spite. The thousands you spent on the extra security measures can be destroyed by a 5 dollar molotov cocktail. As for having all that food so you can tunnel out... Where is your water coming from?

you've seen it live on TV - dozens of times in between Ferguson & Baltimore - zippo an end cap of merchandise in a store or just reach in a broken window and zippo the clothes/curtains ....

if rioting reaches into your neighborhood it'll be pure vindictive & revenge rampaging .... they won't be after your 10 year old widescreen when they have a dozen unboxed TVs sitting at home .... in England, during the last refugee uprising, the locals stood shoulder to shoulder with their pushbrooms and faced the rioters down - cowards went for an eazier street ....
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

A few have already stated the truth of the matter. Honestly, unless you are in the NORAD bunker or something of the sort, if a hostile force wants to get in, they will. The objective is to make it so hard and so costly for the attackers, that they will simply move on to a softer target. Just like when scumbag crazed gunman shoot up a public place, they always hit "soft targets" like gun free zones for a reason.

Don't make it so fortified that you can't get out fast if you had too, but if a hostile force figures out you are pretty well fortified and well armed, they will usually find another target. And if not then I guess it is a fight till' the death.... Also someone could just decide to whip up a few Molotov cocktails and burn the house down instead. But that's why it is important to have security outside of the house as well with LP/OP's, don't let them get close. Above all though, fortify the house, but you want to "blend in" as much as possible.
    Last edited by Rider; 04-19-2016 at 09:10 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to the stupidity of man. If mountain ranges and oceans can be overcome, then anything built by man can be overcome." - General Patton
    Maol9 likes this.

Banned

Had a guy I barely know swing by this morning, he looked like shit and mentioned several of his local family members and their drug problems during the course of our 20 minute conversation in my driveway. Kind of made me feel like he was possibly casing the property. When he asked about hiking around a neighboring 800 acre property I mentioned the security cameras on the neighboring property and how they were like my own external cameras, some hidden and some in plain sight. When he left I sent him down past my shooting range so he would see the target holders with their torn out back stops.

From long ago the guy already knows I like to hunt but I wanted to discreetly remind him that this property would be difficult to steal from.

Another good security measure is if you live on a road with little traffic try to stay aware of what vehicles travel and learn which ones are normal and which cars are not. My few neighbors somehow have become aware of the fact that I closely watch traffic on our gravel road and they sometimes even inform me when they are having company now. The neighbors seem quite happy to have someone watching for unusual vehicles since while I'm over a half mile from the paved road I'm the 1st house a strange vehicle would travel past if it were going towards their properties.
    Last edited by 8301; 06-21-2016 at 10:35 AM.
    Kevin and Maol9 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rider View Post
    A few have already stated the truth of the matter. Honestly, unless you are in the NORAD bunker or something of the sort, if a hostile force wants to get in, they will. The objective is to make it so hard and so costly for the attackers, that they will simply move on to a softer target. Just like when scumbag crazed gunman shoot up a public place, they always hit "soft targets" like gun free zones for a reason.

Don't make it so fortified that you can't get out fast if you had too, but if a hostile force figures out you are pretty well fortified and well armed, they will usually find another target. And if not then I guess it is a fight till' the death.... Also someone could just decide to whip up a few Molotov cocktails and burn the house down instead. But that's why it is important to have security outside of the house as well with LP/OP's, don't let them get close. Above all though, fortify the house, but you want to "blend in" as much as possible.

if you and your neighbors intend to stand by the letter of the law concerning home defense - expect a flaming bottle of gas in your puss while you guard your front door .... a stand off perimeter and a mutual defense showing is how you keep the boogie man out of the neighborhood ....
    Kevin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Arklatex View Post
    You can have all that security and someone will still just burn your house down out of spite. The thousands you spent on the extra security measures can be destroyed by a 5 dollar molotov cocktail. As for having all that food so you can tunnel out... Where is your water coming from?

soooo, the answer is to not bother prepping and see your family starve to death .... or just abandon your home sanctuary to become a nomad refugee waiting for someone to burn down your $200 tent and kill your family .... sheeple negativity thinking at work - better to blow the $$$$ at Disney World ....

I think I'll go by centuries of surviving civilization and do a castle keep ....
    Kevin and Maol9 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    if you and your neighbors intend to stand by the letter of the law concerning home defense - expect a flaming bottle of gas in your puss while you guard your front door .... a stand off perimeter and a mutual defense showing is how you keep the boogie man out of the neighborhood ....
    Agreed. In a SHTF situation we're going to have to band together with our neighbors and protect each other, just like we try to do now (from burglars) only more so. Of course we will need to use caution and intuition. If we are in the mentality that we can't or won't trust anybody else then things are off to a really bad start. The whole "United we stand, divided we fall," thing is a lot more than just a neat saying.

Banned

A Molotov cocktail wouldn't do jack crap to my house but make a black spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakthesoldier View Post
    ...A dog MIGHT give you a deterrent, or an extra second to draw your gun as an intruder comes barreling in, but most likely, the barking will just let people know that someone is home...
    That's why our Boxer is trained 'NOT' to bark. She growls that's it. She also knows Kung Fu. I am serious. She makes me kick her everyday, while she growls at me and she plays Land Shark.
    Operator6, SOCOM42, Kevin and 1 others like this.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links