DIY Freeze Drying?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DIY Freeze Drying?

This is a discussion on DIY Freeze Drying? within the DIY forums, part of the General Discussion category; I'm very interesting in learning how to freeze dry my fresh veggies, fruits, and meats at home. I've been doing some research on the subject, ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bigwheel

Thread: DIY Freeze Drying?

DIY Freeze Drying?

I'm very interesting in learning how to freeze dry my fresh veggies, fruits, and meats at home. I've been doing some research on the subject, but I would like to hear first-hand from those who have tried it and how well it turned out.

Sorry, but not help from me. I freeze food and I dry food, but not freeze-dry. (Unless you count that stuff that works it way to the back of the freezer, never to be found until it is sort of freeze dried and inedible.

Generally I freeze or dry food separately too, but the lure of having ultra-light-weight food that (when properly sealed) has a shelf life of 10+ years was more than I could pass up lol

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Here you go. $4049 will get you in the freeze-drying bidness.
    Home Freeze Dryer Machine | Harvest Right

I had no idea a home freeze dryer was even on the market! Might have to invest in one, but until I can afford something so expensive I'm hoping to use a combination of my freezer and vacuum sealing to yield similar results. I've done some reading about freeze drying using just your standard freezer and a vacuum sealer and I hope someone here as tried it and can tell me how well it worked out.

Thought of similar ideas myself. It apparently aint quite that easy. The food has to be took down to 40 below and the vacuuming process has to be on the money. I found a you tube on making your own but it looked like a Rube Goldberg contraption which would took an MIT injuneer to figger out how to build it. The guy used dry ice to get the temps down he was just building the sucking part. I would concentrate on buying one. What five k for a stepper? lol

The process of freeze drying is one that simply removes the water (moisture) from food while the temperature is below the thaw point. The process involves lowering the boiling point of water to a temperature below that at which the food is frozen.
    I freeze dry herbs by placing them in loosely bundled bunches in the bottom of my frost free freezer. They dry completely without losing any of their essential oils, flavor or fragrance. It takes about a week to completely dry the leaves. You could use this technique on foods but it would take a very long time. (freezer burn is where the meat has lost its moisture while being frozen) the problem is that the bacteria in the meat is not killed when it is frozen - it is just dormant. To kill the bacteria or at least keep it from reproducing the temperature has to be lower than -38F. At this temperature it takes a very strong vacuum to get the boiling point of water that low. That means Heavily constructed containers and a strong vacuum pump (usually with metal lines to prevent collapse). Combining this vacuum chamber with an extreme temperature freezer is very expensive.

Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can.
    Samuel Adams

Thanks for info on the low temp bug killing angle. Back in the old sausage making hobby days..for certain uncooked dry cured sausages containing pork it was often a good idea to use what they call "Certified Pork" which comes from putting certain sizes of pork into below zero freezing for 30 days or so dependent on the weight of the meat. That supposedly killed the trichinae worm larvae. Guess veggies have the same set of issues with different critters.
    PaulS likes this.

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone. I hope to get my hands on the freeze-dryer at some point, but I'm going to do some experimenting with what I have available and let everyone know how things go!

Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Husker View Post
    Thanks for the thoughts, everyone. I hope to get my hands on the freeze-dryer at some point, but I'm going to do some experimenting with what I have available and let everyone know how things go!
    I look forward to hearing about your experiments.
    Hidden Content
    Remain calm, All is well

Sponsored Links