emergency 12 volt back up water system up and running
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on emergency 12 volt back up water system up and running within the DIY forums, part of the General Discussion category; I finally got my back up water system up and running like I wanted it. It runs off my solar system. That hose you see ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: emergency 12 volt back up water system up and running

I finally got my back up water system up and running like I wanted it.
    It runs off my solar system. That hose you see running up the first tank is clear hose (sight glass)

I'm running two surflo RV water pumps.,, I ended up only running one at a time it's all I need having two
    really doesn't help that much. Other than quicker recovery
    When I turn on the rain water valve it comes out the green hose until I turn the valve for the tank
    to receive the water that way I can take a sample of what I'm getting before it goes in my tank.
    To make sure the nasties are all washed off the roof.

The water goes into the first tank then through the filters and into the second tank then through the
    pump and into the house. If you look real close you can see a drain valve on the bottom of the first
    tank. I figure that if I get any sediment or anything nasty in the bottom of the first tank
    I can flush it out there. It's 3/4" big enough for that
    If you look you can see a switch and a small green light. The light comes on when the system is "ON"
    I'm going to install a small light upstairs that comes on when the pump is running. Just to help
    keep an eye on things

I have few different ways I can fill it I can use my truck and tote and fill it with city water
    I installed an out side filling tube or I can fill it from the well I have now

I have spring that I can fill it from or as a last resort I can catch rain water

Next I would like to install a propane tank less water heater
    I'm thinking that when the grid goes down having running water hot and cold and electricity for
    lights and radio that it would be a big convenience. I have a another battery pack and 4 245 watt
    solar panels to install then I should be able to have refrigeration also

I'm working on an under the sink super filter for drinking water if I start to use rain water
    Last edited by budgetprepp-n; 07-18-2015 at 07:30 PM.

Aweome!
    James m likes this.

That's very interesting!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Retired Moderator

Very nice.
    Hidden Content
    Remain calm, All is well

Very nice setup.

Awesome set up. Good work.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

It is always good to be prepared. I have a similar deal.

I would have liked to see those connections and especially those pvc ball valves be something other than plastic. PVC balls valves get tougher to use with age and put severe undue stress on the surrounding fittings when trying to turn off and on.

I also would feel better to have brass ball valves immediately out of the tanks. You have pvc ball valves but what if you develop a leak in your clear plastic hoses?

You have the right idea for sure but a suggestion from a forty year Master Plumber, your mechanics should not depend on a .99 cent plastic fitting.
    Denton likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickity Plumber View Post

I would have liked to see those connections and especially those pvc ball valves be something other than plastic. PVC balls valves get tougher to use with age and put severe undue stress on the surrounding fittings when trying to turn off and on.

I also would feel better to have brass ball valves immediately out of the tanks. You have pvc ball valves but what if you develop a leak in your clear plastic hoses?

You have the right idea for sure but a suggestion from a forty year Master Plumber, your mechanics should not depend on a .99 cent plastic fitting.
    Excellent advice, and I'm sure he'll consider it... but you do have to take his screen name into account.
    He's one of the more innovative members we have, due to his frugality.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Retired Moderator

I am wondering about those filters. Are they washable or are you storing a bunch of them?
    Hidden Content
    Remain calm, All is well

Quote Originally Posted by Rickity Plumber View Post

I wish I had brass balls but I don't. And for the clear hose it just slips (very tight) over a barbed end I guess if it breaks or
    start leaking I would cut it and stick a bolt in it. Or put on the spare one. I have almost an extra of everything.

But seriously "Thank you" for the heads up about the plastic valves getting hard to turn after they get old I didn't know that. .I learned something today

And I have a question I watched someone change the filters on a set up like this and they put some kind of clear grease on the threads of the filter housing so it would not stick. What do you know about this?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links